Fit 300mm Brakes how to guide

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

this cost me about 120 altogether, that included the calipers, new disc, pads, and repair kit for the calipers

To complete this conversion you will need the following,

Essential:

Calipers from a mk3 Mondeo, 2000-2007
Brake pads for a Mondeo mk3, 2000-2007
Focus ST170 Discs - 300mm
13mm Socket
15mm Socket
12mm Socket
10mm Spanner
9mm Spanner
12.5mm Drill Bit + Drill
Caliper Carrier bolts x 4, p/n 6668956/1447853
WD-40
1 Litre Brake fluid
Cling film.

Optional:

Brake seal/Dust seal/slide bolt bush/Bleed screw repair kit - can be obtained from http://www.biggred.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for around £25 if you wish to repair and replace seals in your new/2nd hand calipers.
If you dont have two people you will need a 1 man brake bleed kit - eg. Gunsons Eezi bleed.

Guide:

First off jack up the car and rest on axle stands. Remove road wheels.

Open the brake fluid reservoir cap and place some cling film over the hole like so, this will help prevent liquid escaping when you remove the brake hoses off the old calipers.

brakes1.jpg

Next up, loosen, but do not fully undo the brake hose from the caliper. If you fully remove it now you will be dripping and losing brake fluid whilst you are drilling holes in your hub knuckle.

brakes2.jpg

Remove the 13mm caliper carrier bolts as pictured. They may be quite tight.

brakes3.jpg

And slide the caliper off your disc.

brakes4.jpg

Cable tie your caliper so it isnt dangling only being support by the brake hose.

brakes5.jpg

Now you are ready to widen your holes in your hub knuckles, this is what you will be drilling.

brakes6.jpg

Drill out the holes with your 12.5mm drill, take it slowly and use plenty of WD40 as cooling agent.

brakes7.jpg

Now your holes should be big enough to fit your new 15mm caliper carrier bolts through.

brakes8.jpg

Slide on the new disc

brakes9.jpg

Now take your old caliper and cut off the cable tie holding it, you will now need to twist the caliper round so the brake hose unscrews, have your new calipers ready as brake fluid will start to dribble out.

When the hose is removed screw it on the new caliper in the same fashion, by turning the caliper, not the hose.

Tighten the hose into the caliper with the 10mm spanner.

Then slide on your caliper assembly over the disc.

brakes10.jpg

Now screw your new caliper retainer bolts, but only a few turns.

brakes11.jpg

Retighten the brake hose fully to 13nm, this may twist the brake hose and you will need to remove the caliper again to make sure the hose is fully untwisted.

With the caliper back on, and the brake hose done up tightly to 13nm screw your 15mm caliper retainer bolts in all the way to 58nm.

Check your slide pin bolts are done up nice and tight to 25nm.

brakes12.jpg

Thats it you are halfway there, just got the otherside to do, I got caught in rain so nicked my mums sun brolly as they are away at the moment so cant moan at me

brakes13.jpg

old vs new!

compare.jpg

When you have done the otherside in the same fashion you will need to bleed the brakes either using the two man method, of, what I did, use a Gunsons Eezi Bleed kit which you can pick up from Halfords.

I bedded in using this guide

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pics of them on

brakes14.jpg

brakes15.jpg

brakes16.jpg

brakes17.jpg

brakes18.jpg

Dunno if anyone wants to sticky this or what

deffo stickie mate excellent step by step

you forgot to mention removing the brake disk after removing the calliper before drilling holes

i like the fact you included torx settings ....excellent

looking at the pics of the callipers behind the 16 inch alloys they look awfully close im glad i fitted 17's now

yippeekiay said:
Nice one Steve. Found a little typo:- "Now your holes should be big enough to fit your new 15mm caliper carrier bolts through.".

As you know, should be 12mm not 15mm ;)

sorry i was refferring to the size of the head of the bolt not the thread lol, basically so people know what tool they need to be using!

Excellent guide. This on shopping list for new puma when get home.

If you dont mind me asking, what alloys are those 16's? Mondeo?
Do they need spacers to fit?
Need to bin the 15 props before can change my brakes over (dont fancy excessive grinder hacking!!) and these look good...

Steve's wheels are 7Jx16ET35 "Cosworth Design" wheels from the accessories catalogue. They are very similar to the 6.5Jx16ET40 Mondeo Zetec wheels, but crucially have an offset which better suit's the Puma. The Mondeo wheels IMO make the car drive like a dog.

what flash said.

my mate has the mondeo et40 ones, they look ok, and fit ok, and if your not bothered about the precision corner handling elements of your car then they are ok

Mr ScubaSteve I take my hat off to your sir! :-D

Awesome little How to! :D

Got myself the calipers off E-bay, they should be here tomoz. :thumbs:

Just going to ring around my local car part shops for prices on the discs and pads, can get Mintex discs and pads off e-bay for £66.95 inc P&P, i think this is a good price but theres £13 P&P charges, so heres hoping i can get them alittle cheaper! :eek:k:

Cheers!

Hey Paul!

Yeah the Mintex Pads are £14, Mintex Discs £45 + £8 P&P £67 (E-Bay)

Best price from one store,

My other quote was from two stores and neither had both Discs and Pads, and wouldnt order them in, would rather pay the extra 5p, instead of F'in about with two stores.

Rang around, the prices on named stock is bloody STUPID!!

Cheapest Mintex discs i could get was £60 and Pads was £24.40! :shock:

So i think E-bay is the way forward! lol :-D

FlashBastd said:
Steve's wheels are 7Jx16ET35 "Cosworth Design" wheels from the accessories catalogue. They are very similar to the 6.5Jx16ET40 Mondeo Zetec wheels, but crucially have an offset which better suit's the Puma. The Mondeo wheels IMO make the car drive like a dog.

Thanks for the info.
What 'accessories catalogue' ??
Ford themselves or other company??

PART 2

If you own a 2000> year puma, you may be running the newer style servo and master cylinder setup, this is inefficient with the larger brake setup.

Fitting the older style servo and master cylinder improves things a lot, the pedal is firmer and the braking is far strong and responsive.

I carried out the swap last weekend and was surprised at the difference it makes.

If you want to determine what you are running look under the bonnet, the new style has a silver master cylinder with both brake lines on the left hand side and looks like this

newsetup.jpg

The old style has a black master cylinder and the brakes lines come out one each side and looks like this

oldsetup.jpg

You can get all the stuff for about 40 quid for a scrappy you will need

Old style (black) master cylinder with servo.
Vacuum hose for old setup
The 2 brake lines going to the abs pump from the old setup

Basic guide to fit,

Disconnect battery and remove with the tray, siphon out all the fluid in the resevoir, release the crimp clip and pull the clutch slave pipe off the side of the resevoir, unscrew the 2 brake lines from the master cylinder to the abs pump, remove vacuum hose from servo into the throttle body by pushing in the plastic bush/housing the pipe slides into and pulling the pipe out, then undo the four bolts on the back of the servo, pull the servo forward until you gain access to the clevis pin at the back where the servo joins the cross shaft, pull off the slide pin and remove the clevis pin then the whole lot will come out.

Refit the old style stuff, bleed the brakes before you reconnect the battery, in the order of rear left, front right, rear right, front left.

Nice one Steve,

However, I won't be doing this change though as mine are very strong especially compared to what the brakes were like on 260mm discs. I can't see any inefficiencies in them (my brakes) that would warrant me changing them in case it was wasted time & money. Then again, I have nothing to gage it against so you could be bang on. How did you find out about this possible flaw in the new cylinder out of interest?

Did you just change it for the old one cos it was all you could find cos your's was on it's way out?
Or did you change it because you found some specs/info that said it was better?

Cheers ;)

The information about the older servo vs the newer servo has been around for a while.

I don't recall anyone actually testing the theory though.

yippeekiay said:
Yeah Stu, try your local motorfactor's etc. I got the mintex pads for only £14, I didn't get mintex discs but mine were £18.40 each but I was offered some for £16 if I would wait...WAIT!!...no chance....lol
If anyone is interested. Halfords trade do the disks for £18.83 and the pads are around £10. Both are either OEM or meet OEM.

Latest posts

Back