How To : stop sticking windows

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenpenalver

has anyone found a permanent solution to windows sticking??

obviously done all the usual lubricant rubbish and tried adjusting the frame.

so is there a fix for the stickyness?? ie what causes it??

Don't know if this will solve your problem, but this TSB shows how to set up the "Door glass frame adjustment":

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/18/1520324/tsb97170.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I solved my window problem a while ago.

from what i found out, the glass is sometimes not aligned on the window frame ie either the bottom front corner part catches the "rails" when it is moving up/down or the rear bottom left corner gets stuck in the "rails"

Taking off the door trim, you should be able to see the window (glass bit) is attached to the motor via 2 screws. You can try tightening this 2 screws if you wish but imo, the screws will "round off". I decided to go for the bolt option as I can use a socket wrench and it gives me better leverage to tighten the bolt.

It would be a good idea to check the window "frame" the part which guides the window up and door for any stones or glass bits (if your puma's window had been smashed before) as these might be what's causing the problems in the first place.

You do not need nuts with the bolts as there are threads in the green mounting base of the window glass and all you have to do is bolt the bolt onto this part.

before bolting the bolt tightly/securely, move the window to "close" position (you will need to turn your key to ignition or on position to get electrics to power the window motor ;) )

whilst you are here, survey the rubber seal on the top (yes the one that the window always pushes into the window frame whilst it is closing) to see if it is sitting "outside" of the window glass and not pushed into the window frame.

once you are satisfied with the "closed" position, look down at the bolts. You will notice that there are 2 "access holes" in the door frame which allows you to extend the socket wrench in to tighten the bolt you have just replaced previously.

Tighten the Bolt and after that, close and open the window a few times to see that everything is operating smoothly. Once satisfied with the result, replace door trim (replace broken door clips is necessary)

Feel free to sticky this if necessary.

Warning (the window glass is quite heavy and can dislodge from the window frame/guide. Do everything slowly and carefully to prevent accidents and injuries.)

Oh forgot to mention you can add washers to adjust the "tilt" the window at the place where you placed the bolts.

I have done mine and the window goes up and down perfectly and also sit in the window frame without catching the top most's window seal rubber into the window frame.

My ZS has a slow drivers side window. They had a tip on thier forum which is spray some WD40 down the SIDE's of the window tracks. Its worked for me, my window goes up and down freely now. Please dont squirt WD40 down across where the window pops out the door though, unless you wan't greasy streaky windows everytime you move them up or down! :p

neee... the easiest way... as described above... pull out the trim... loose the screws.. move a bit the window up and down... move to close... wiggle it front to back to sit... leave it in close position... tighten the damn screws... works like a charm :D

Latest posts

Back