How To: Re-trim Front Door Cards

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus000

How To: Re-trim Puma / Fiesta Front Door Cards
Difficulty: Easy
Time Needed: 1hr - 1.5hrs (approx.)

You will need:
Fabric Glue
Foam Backing (optional though I guess)
Material with which to re-trim
Drill
30x Selft tappers and large collar washers

I've made the pictures as self explanatory as possible and will continue to update over the next hour or so.

IMG_0056-1.jpg

Once you've removed the screws, the door card will literally pop off.
Don't worry if you find any of the clips broken, they can easily be sourced off eBay or your local Ford dealership.
Little persuasion with a flat blade screwdriver will help if you're having trouble pulling it off the door.

Step2.jpg

Step3.jpg

Now you've got the rivet heads off, the trim piece will literally pop out of the door card.

Step4.jpg

Step5.jpg

I usually rub as much off with my hands as possible then rub over with some sandpaper to get the rest off, it doesn't need to perfect, just get the loose bits off.

Step6.jpg

Step7.jpg

Step8.jpg

Glue down red fabric in the same manner as the backing foam, allow to dry and we're not far off now.

Step9.jpg

Step10.jpg

Step11.jpg

Step12.jpg

Step13.jpg

Replace any broken door card clips (available from Ford or eBay) and reverse the removal proceedure.

Step14.jpg

Tadaaaaaaaaaa! :)

Will update with more text tomorrow. :cool:

Updated & finished... ish!

Needs more text but the main points are all there now! :wink:

I think Elvin did one of these guides when he did his black one.... (was the owner of your car before the person you bought it off ;) )

Looks good though and good to see your colour coordinating :D

Nice work!

Can you send me a link to where id get the material and foam ?

Will definately try this :)

Really helpfull, thank you.

Anyone know how you go about only removing the rivet head. Seems more to it than just drill it out?

I think drilling it carefully should see the top of the rivet come off, I haven't done it specifically with these but that's what would happen usually.

Hi.
I don't mean to do a hijack job here.
My original fabric decided to eventually part company with the door card as the original foam backing had disintegrated. I was able to retrim this without removal of the door card. Once the fabric was removed I cleaned all the foam residue off the door card. Mask of the door card apart from the area to be stripped (the foam is horrible and gunky) Clean the original fabric if reusing, or new fabric cut to exact size of original. Use Contact spray adhesive. Care fully position the fabric working from the centre outwards then tuck the overlapping edges of the fabric behind the card. There is plenty of room for this as the gap behind the gap is reasonably large. I used an artists spatula which is about 1 mm thick and extremely flexible as well as a small electrical screwdriver. I used the fabric on to the door card without any foam or padding. To be honest you could not tell that it was devoid of any padding. The finished result was as good as new. A WORD OF CAUTION, the silver switch housing is finished in a spray paint. Do not get any solvent or cleaner on the switch housing it can ruin the paint finish.

Removal of switch housing.
I can reveal that the silver surround that the switch is mounted in is held in position with a slot in lug and then secured with three tabs that are heat welded securing the assembly to the door card. To remove without taking the door card off and the grinding/cutting of the welded tabs the assembly can be removed with the door card in situ.
Remove the switch (tease out carefully it is a clip in item).
Using just the required amount of force ( I did this by hooking my index finger under the silver surround) snap of the welded lugs. The surround can then be slid forward to disengage it from the slot in lug.
To refit slide back and re engage on the lug. The front of the surround can be secured using double sided stick tape or pads.
Even if the door card was removed the welded lugs would still need to be snapped off.

Regards,
Richard.

Richard I seem to recall that there is a philips or pozidrive screw that holds that assembly to the door card, only visible after removing the door card and viewing from the back of the door card, mounted upside down . It's 10 years ago now since I last removed, however I think once the screw has been removed the whole lot can be removed from the door card.

Latest posts

Back