How do I get photos into a post?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherie

Those of us who've been rattling around various forums (forai?) for years take things like putting images in posts for granted. It's easy to forget that not everyone knows as much as we do, so I've put together a little guide for getting those essential photos that you want to share into posts.

Uploading your photo.

To start with, you need your photo to be hosted online. This basically means that it's stored somewhere online where other sites can access it.
There are a few photo hosting sites around that are free to use:
Picasa is part of the Google software and has all kinds of fancy gallery options and software for your computer. Personally I tried it, and found it overly complicated for what I wanted to do.
Flickr is linked to Yahoo and seems to be good for hosting a large number of photos, but not so easy to share.
Photobucket is I think the oldest and one of the easiest to use.

For the purposes of this guide, I'm going to keep it simple and use Photobucket.

Once you've created an account and followed the instructions to upload a photo, you're going to want to post it somewhere.

Posting your photo into a thread or signature.

Photobucket is quite helpful in that it will give you the information you need to post the picture you want anywhere. What you will need to look for is the information that has [ img] and [ /img] at either end (minus the spaces).

The one you want is labelled IMG Code, copy and then paste that code in the post. Photobucket now tends to make the photo a link to the album, if you don't want this, copy the Direct code instead, and add the IMG tags at either end of it.

Lets take one of my old signatures as an example:

The code I've copied looks like this (note the .jpg at the end, that means its a type of picture file. bmp, png and gif are other file types you're likely to come across.)
Code:
[IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll20/pumageek/banners/aa382b3a.jpg[/IMG]
And this is what it looks like.
aa382b3a.jpg

Hosting a picture on another site means that you can post that picture anywhere, on any other forum or site. We do have a dedicated forum gallery on the site, the link is under the banner, or your own photos can be found in your profile for easy access.

If you need any help resizing, uploading or posting pictures, just ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back