FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

Do you have a Puma that is a project? Do you want to track the progress with your own thread? Feel free to do it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!
Model: 1.7

Re: FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Sun May 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Once I ran into (not literally, but you know what I mean) ralliart guys driving in three of their lancers (Tomi Mäkkinen was driving at the time). It was interesting what they were doing: they would accelerate quite hard, I'd say at 75-80 % of full throttle and then would back off and let the engine slow down the car. They were doing it in second gear for 4-5 times, then shifting up to third and again. After that agian back to second and so on… The choice of gears probably had a lot to do with speed limits on the road they were using, but it actually makes sense: first you are driving in 'one side' of engine, and then the other (as the engine slows down the car)….
But the point was that they didn't drive at steady pace, but constantly accelerating and deccelerating using engine only.
0 x

PumaNoob
Guru!
Guru!
Model: FRP

Post by PumaNoob » Sun May 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Yes that's the way to run an engine in properly, constant driving at one speed (like motorway driving) won't work. And engine braking is very good for bedding rings in. That's what I try and do, although it's probably annoying to other drivers when I keep speeding up and slowing down lol
0 x

FRP 2.3 Duratec Turbo Is BACK!!!!

Cibbie
Adolescent
Adolescent

Post by Cibbie » Tue May 27, 2014 1:14 pm

Bet it feels good to have the beast back on the road rev limit or no rev limit! :)
0 x

PumaNoob
Guru!
Guru!

Post by PumaNoob » Tue May 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Cibbie wrote:Bet it feels good to have the beast back on the road rev limit or no rev limit! :)
Oh for sure, its just passed the 500 mile marker after a trip to Bedford Autodrome yesterday with some other members. It drove the 200 mile around trip faultlessly, except the positive battery cable breaking out the connector on the way home. Took 2 mins to fix but other then that i feel like im gaining confidence in it again, starting to push it a little more. The revs are getting turned up to 4000rpm today and an oil change, and hopefully wont be long until im back at full revs!

Its come a long way since ford fair last year!
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: Turbo

Post by Brian' » Tue May 27, 2014 2:34 pm

PumaNoob wrote:
Cibbie wrote:Bet it feels good to have the beast back on the road rev limit or no rev limit! :)
Oh for sure, its just passed the 500 mile marker after a trip to Bedford Autodrome yesterday with some other members. It drove the 200 mile around trip faultlessly, except the positive battery cable breaking out the connector on the way home. Took 2 mins to fix but other then that i feel like im gaining confidence in it again, starting to push it a little more. The revs are getting turned up to 4000rpm today and an oil change, and hopefully wont be long until im back at full revs!

Its come a long way since ford fair last year!
Are you going to Ford Fair this year? Would be nice to see your car in person
0 x

PumaNoob
Guru!
Guru!

Post by PumaNoob » Tue May 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Ive not booked up yet because i wasnt sure if my car would be ready, but if tickets are still available ill be going!!
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Post by Brian' » Tue May 27, 2014 3:08 pm

PumaNoob wrote:Ive not booked up yet because i wasnt sure if my car would be ready, but if tickets are still available ill be going!!
Yeah, they are still available, You only have two weeks though for the payment deadline! (7th of June)
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=23455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 x

PumaNoob
Guru!
Guru!

Post by PumaNoob » Tue May 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Ok thanks mate, ill get that all booked up! One thing is for sure, i will NOT be going back on track at ford fair again!! ;p

Are you travelling over to go to ford fair??
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Post by Brian' » Tue May 27, 2014 3:28 pm

PumaNoob wrote:Ok thanks mate, ill get that all booked up! One thing is for sure, i will NOT be going back on track at ford fair again!! ;p

Are you travelling over to go to ford fair??
Yeah I am, Never been to Ford Fair/England before, actually never seen more than 2 Pumas at a time. So I can´t wait till the 3th of August :P
0 x

PumaNoob
Guru!
Guru!

Post by PumaNoob » Tue May 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Good man, i look forward to meeting you. SO i assume youve never seen an FRP before then either? There will be some very nice models there, you need to see Alex with FRP 401, that thing is like it just came out the showroom! And Aaron Bentley and Simon (Blue3) also have very clean FRP's.

Will you drive your Puma over or are you flying? It would be awesome to have some European Pumas on the Project puma stand!!
0 x

Brian'
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Post by Brian' » Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 pm

PumaNoob wrote:Good man, i look forward to meeting you. SO i assume youve never seen an FRP before then either? There will be some very nice models there, you need to see Alex with FRP 401, that thing is like it just came out the showroom! And Aaron Bentley and Simon (Blue3) also have very clean FRP's.

Will you drive your Puma over or are you flying? It would be awesome to have some European Pumas on the Project puma stand!!
I will bring my Puma.
And let me tell you another story; Hopefully I will own a FRP in a few years, because I have plans of importing one to the Netherlands. Just need to save up some cash so probably won´t happen anytime soon.. :-(
0 x

Blue3
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Post by Blue3 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:31 pm

nice one, good to have an international presence and for the record Alexs is better than they came out of the ford factory ;)
0 x
Best FRP ProjectPuma Ford Fair 2013
Best FRP RPOC Coombe 2013

Davedrave
Project Regular
Project Regular
Model: Millennium

Post by Davedrave » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:32 pm

How is the build going?

Car looks absolutely amazing!
0 x
Millennium Edition Puma - The Yella' Fella'
2.1 Zetec Turbo build - CLICK HERE

PumaNoob
Guru!
Guru!

Post by PumaNoob » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:50 pm

I now have 800 miles on my engine so I'll be cranking the revs up to 5000 now won't be long before I'm at full revs now, and the car is feeling pretty sweet. I've been ironing out all the niggles, a few boost leaks, the sump plug just resonating off the lower strut brace, it wasn't enough to make a knocking noise but enough to make the a vibrating noise when lifting off after acceleration. It's all sorted now with a flat head sump plug.

The low end on this set up feels so much better and more responsive then the old set up. Hopefully I'll be updatin next with how it feels at 7000rpm! :grin:
0 x

Cartman
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Post by Cartman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Sounds lake you have had a verry productive time :) can't wait to see it :)
0 x
1998 FRP Replica. Innlet NR 138
Project tread http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=21704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2005 Volvo S40 1.8

Time, is the fire in which we burn....

Davedrave
Project Regular
Project Regular
Model: Millennium

Post by Davedrave » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Sounds good! I do envy the setup that you have going on there but hopefully I will be able to join the club of crazy Puma's soon with my 350bhp turbo build!

Got family up in b'ham so will definitely have to pop up and arrange a meet sometime soon.
0 x
Millennium Edition Puma - The Yella' Fella'
2.1 Zetec Turbo build - CLICK HERE

IanC
Adolescent
Adolescent

Post by IanC » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Wow finally read my way through this thread. Can only add to what others have already said, this is insiprational.

Amazing work, the research alone that went it to this build must have you taken ages. :clap:

Massive admiration for what you have built, for sticking with it despite some horrible set backs, and some envy of your wide range of skills.

Not sure "PumaNoob" is a really approriate username, your epic level of talent is offensive :P :grin:

Hope everything goes smoothly for you from now on. :-)
0 x
First Car ; Rosso Red Fiesta MK II 957cc Pop Plus Powerhouse (Sadly No longer Owned)
Second Car; Nouveau Red Fiesta MK4 1.25 LX, bought new and now racing to 160k Miles
Third Car; 1.7 Radiant Red Puma
Fourth Car; Moondust Silver Fiesta Mk4 1.25 4 Door 40k from new for the GF to finally learn to drive
Fifth Car; 1.7 Moondust Silver Puma - Resto wreck project.

I see a pattern, I only buy red or silver cars and I seem to buy more Fords than I sell!

Ginger Tom
Guru!
Guru!

Post by Ginger Tom » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Glad your not going back on track, hopefully I'll be driving my car up there and not have it on the back of the pick up this year
0 x
ImageImage

PumaNoob
Guru!
Guru!

Post by PumaNoob » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Not going back on track?? I had it on track at RS Combe on Sat, no point in building a car like this just for the rd!! But certainly not at ford fair! It would just be ally nice to drive it there & back!!

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate the ongoing support from you guys.

The engine just clocked over 1100 miles so I cranked the revs up to 6000rpm, and boy does she fly now. I'm not sure if it's because I've not driven a quick car in a while but it feels immense! So took it on a few parade laps at RS Combe on Saturday, didn't really push it but it's wens to handle a lot better now, I'm not sure if it may have been out before and Pumabuild have put the geometry right, or it's the lower strut brace, but it feels more rigid and true. I'll get some videos up when I can, but for now I have some pics from the Combe.

0 x

madhillbilly17
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!
Model: Other

Post by madhillbilly17 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Car looks awesome Errol! maybe the rear hit put it out? or its just where its a fresh spot on setup and alignment.
0 x

Dogsbody
Adolescent
Adolescent

Post by Dogsbody » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:22 pm

I almost had you Dude with my Nos :lol:
Good to meet you finally :grin:
0 x
HID's fitted, I can see in the Dark :-)

PumaNoob
Guru!
Guru!

Post by PumaNoob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:46 am

Lol, is that you Graham?? Didn't know that was your user name, hopefully we will get to meet on track again some time and really see how the nitrous goes around a track!! And yeah Dan, you could be right, I don't know what it is but I'm happy it's feeling good now.
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:24 am

You guys with your fancy FRPs are killing me!
0 x

Dogsbody
Adolescent
Adolescent

Post by Dogsbody » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:21 am

PumaNoob wrote:Lol, is that you Graham?? Didn't know that was your user name, hopefully we will get to meet on track again some time and really see how the nitrous goes around a track!! And yeah Dan, you could be right, I don't know what it is but I'm happy it's feeling good now.
Yes its me.
Your car sounds fantastic with the chirping from the dump valve.
As you were beside me on the parade for quite a while Alex got lots of photo's of you :-)
Plus you can hear your car on the video camera I had mounted in my grill.

I was intending that to be that last track outing for my FRP as the Sunbeam Stiletto has been built for track fun.
But I expect it will still do the odd day :wink:

0 x
HID's fitted, I can see in the Dark :-)

red
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Model: Other

Post by red » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 am

8-) Excellent, some great pictures, looks like lots of fun :grin:
0 x
FRP#0201 (2000) 2009-2011