1.7 project, slow but steady [picture heavy!]

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanosburgess

Hi mate she is starting to come on nicely, glad to hear your working again and life is going better for you. Quick question how did the spacers on the rear affect the handling/drivability? any noticeable issues? did you have to extend the bolts etc?

bet that water hadnt killed the engine. chances are it would have just been hydraulic locked. Emptying the water and oil, then try and start without the plugs in, then fit plugs bet it would have started fine.

i tried to kill a 106gti engine once, by revving it to redline and sticking a hose in the inlet, sure it stopped it running everytime and wouldnt turn over, but as soon as removed the plugs and released the hydraulic lock it started and ran fine

This is a good read! Although I feel guilty about complaining when I did a service and it was snowing a bit. It would appear that you were dismantling the car in much colder conditions. I need to man up a bit after reading this! :lol:

Good work mate. This post is a really good read and I'm impressed with how. Uh you've done yourself.
I would be really interested to see what it weighs when you've finished.
Good luck with the new business too mate.

I'm thinking if this is slow and steady mine must be going backwards lol keep up the good work :thumbs:

Thanks fot the info fella, re your perspex window that cracked, have you considered making your own?
On madmechanics.com there was a good guide i will try and dig out(was for headlight lens but should work for door glass, basicaly you would need to wax the outside of the window and then aply fiberglass to it to give you a negative, once setyouhave to put the lexan/perspex in to an oven (need a friend with proper side by side double oven for the window me thinks) you then heat it up and when you take it out sandwich it between window and fibreglass clamp it and leave it to cool, then remove and trim.

Have you all the old bits you've cut off, so you can weigh them to work out if the weight saving?

Shanosburgess said:
Thanks fot the info fella, re your perspex window that cracked, have you considered making your own?
On madmechanics.com there was a good guide i will try and dig out(was for headlight lens but should work for door glass, basicaly you would need to wax the outside of the window and then aply fiberglass to it to give you a negative, once setyouhave to put the lexan/perspex in to an oven (need a friend with proper side by side double oven for the window me thinks) you then heat it up and when you take it out sandwich it between window and fibreglass clamp it and leave it to cool, then remove and trim.

yes the lexan is thermoformable, about 130 degrees i believe worked for me

P1080909.JPG

P1080910.JPG

after 30 mins

P1080914.JPG

P1080911.JPG

the front windows or rear 1/4's dont need thermoforming though, they can stay flat. The boot window does though. The problem being finding an oven big enough, i was going to take it to a powdercoaters or bodyshop however i think they will be too hot

For a 'slow but steady' project, you're cracking on quite well!

Looking good!

Latest posts

Back