CherryV's Thunder

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryVimto

My original purchase unfortunately had to be cancelled which meant I was on the lookout for something cheap.

I stumbled upon a Puma advertised as:
138,000 miles
2 previous owners
All keys (remote, non-remote & 'T' key)
Full service history
Broken front spring
4x nearly new tyres

Mileage was a lot higher than I'd have liked, but I couldn’t be too fussy so I decided it was worth a look as it had full service history.

The paintwork wasn't quite as good as the seller thought, or as good as it looked in the photos. I've viewed cars before and have learnt that photos always make things look better than they really are!

Firstly, I checked all under bonnet fluids. Coolant was a little low, but probably because the current owner had tried to stick the broken HCV together with mastic, but not enough to stop it leaking. Oil was reasonably clean and the right level.

Started the car up, checking the function of the dash warning lights, paying particular attention to the airbag & ABS/TCS lights! All working as they should!
While letting the engine warm up, I checked the service book, checked vehicle VIN against the Etis information and MOT/V5 certificates, then went round and checking all the electrical goodies to make sure they worked. Temperature gauge sat in the middle nicely and the heater switched between hot & cold.
There was a weird sound from one of the belts. The owner said it was the cambelt although it sounded like the accessory drive belt. The noise was like a sticky/squeaky noise.

Checked condition of bodywork and had a nosey underneath. Bonnet had loads of stone chips which someone had ‘tried’ to cover up with paint and windscreen (heated) had a few major chips in it. All consistent, I think, with a motorway driven car.

Next was the test drive. Engine was nice and had loads of pull. Gearbox was tight and gear change was good. Clutch biting point was at a good position with no slipping.
The ride was a bit 'lollopy' with the broken spring and clunked a lot when turning. Otherwise, no bangs or knocks from the suspension. As a whole, everything seemed good (other than the spring).
While test driving, I chatted to the owner and got a feel for what sort of price he was looking for and decided to make him an offer.

After quite a lot of thought, the owner accepted my offer of £500 cash. For some reason, he was surprised when I told him I wanted to drive it away there and then!

4_zps08341e7c.jpg

5_zps0217a524.jpg

7_zpsefce54ec.jpg

11_zps64d53c87.jpg

10_zps70ecc97d.jpg

9_zps9b268f66.jpg

12_zps78481ca5.jpg

The interior was quite messy. Well, actually it looked like it had never seen a vacuum cleaner. So the first thing I did when I got it home was clean it out and give it a wash.

The windscreen looked rather tatty with all the chips. Luckily, the company I work for has someone come round to do repairs on the windscreens on the fleet of vans. So, after a quiet word, I got six chips repaired for £20. Bargain!

I swapped the accessory drive belt for the nearly new one from my old Puma. The old belt I took off was sticky/tacky to the touch. After the belt change, the sticky/squeaky sound had gone.

The Puma is standard externally (what is visible), except for a few small vinyl stickers and a set of 40mm lowering springs. I got the springs because as I was going to replace the broken spring, I may as well replace them all. And at the same time, I Poly bushed the underneath to give the suspension a bit of a ‘refresh’.

WP_20130702_002_zps57ba56d1.jpg

WP_20130706_002_zpsee0d4343.jpg

WP_20130706_003_zps6b39f5e7.jpg

WP_20130706_006_zps43a2fdbd.jpg

I've been working like hell doing this lot:
(a lot of parts I had already bought or refurbed from my old Puma, so I could just fit/swap them over)

Electrical modifications:
• Full white LED interior - switches, heater panel, dash, digi dash LCD display, clock, footwells, interior light, rear interior light – most taken from old my Puma
• Time clock with external temp sensor
• Automatic headlights with 'leaving/coming home'
• HIDs - from old Puma
• DRLs
• Double lock/deadlock beeper
• Internal boot release

Other/mechanical modifications done:
• Wishbones fully fitted with FloFlex bushes and new ball joints
• FloFlex rear beam bushes
• FloFlex ARB bushes
• Alloy drop links
• Upper front strut brace
• Lower front strut brace
• White engine cover – painted original
• Performance/cone air filter – free from a friend
• Ashley rear silencer with race tube centre section

Next on the list:
• Engine start button (fitted, needs wiring in)

Some pictures:
WP_20130622_002_zpsf2bc8a4a.jpg

WP_20130623_001_zps23ad490e.jpg

WP_20130708_001_zpsdcd4d900.jpg

Wishbones from my old car, refurbed ready...
WP_20130709_001_zps59ab513b.jpg

Fitted wishbones and Alloy droplinks...
WP_20130711_002_zpsbbefbe4b.jpg

DRLs...
WP_20130707_016_zpsfb3107c0.jpg

Wiring in the automatic headlight controller....
WP_20130701_004_zps4ebc658e.jpg

WP_20130701_003_zps4b005a62.jpg

...and connecting it to the central locking
WP_20130701_005_zps28378811.jpg

WP_20130701_006_zps08da97d6.jpg

Looks like you got a bargain :)

I wanted to go down a different path with this Puma.

Rather than sticking lumps of plastic/GRP to it and painting it odd colours, I've decided to do useful modifications which actually serve a purpose and give a benefit.

I was actually trying to get away without doing the rear beam bushes too soon, as I know how much hard graft it is after doing the ones on my old Puma.
But, after it started to bang like a sh**house door, I decided I'd better do it.

I don't think you should be able to do this with them:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc5fZwiHAHs[/youtube]

Needless to say, they didn't last long when I got the blowtorch out. I burnt them so much, I could rip the metal part out of the middle, then chopped through with a hacksaw.

i love the comment about their surprise when you wanted to drive it away there and then

i'm guessing the bushes and the suspension spring might be a clue as to why :)

good to see that another puma gets put in good hands

looks like the arches might keep you busy ;)

but for a monkey who can argue

top stuff and will follow with great interest

Thanks chaps.

When I test drove it, there was no knocking or banging at all, only the spring.
The spring had broken to the extent where it was hanging over the top and bottom 'cups?' and was knocking on the inner bodywork.

Still got couple of other niggles to sort.
Door cards started to come away from the top strip, but that's a job for some superglue.
The engine/gearbox is knocking on the lower brace and sounds like something is about to fall off. Hopefully a poly bushed torque link will sort that. Or new engine/gearbox mounts if not.

I fitted some LED tail/brake lights. When the brake lights come on, voltage back feeds through the sidelight circuit. So I wired in some diodes, but that stopped the number plate lights working. Worked out how to sort that though.
Also got some LED indicator bulbs for the rear. The Puma wiring is weird so I need to alter the wiring to get them to work.

All good fun!

My old Puma didn't have a heated windscreen, so just modded the switch in the Thunder, so it lights up white not green.

WP_20130802_004_zps477bf15e.jpg

Need to find something to put between the heater panel and the stereo fascia

WP_20130802_005_zpscf53b472.jpg

Found somewhere to put my internal boot release...
WP_20130802_006_zpsa78bb645.jpg

It was below the headlight level knob in the old Puma, but I kept hitting it with my knee.

Random shot when I was checking all the lights...
WP_20130802_002_zps16186008.jpg

Got some LED bulbs to replace the reading lights, but the polarity of the wiring in the interior light fitting is all round the wrong way. So, I need to find a way to rewire it all......

A Puma said:
Was it hard to mod the interior lights? What tools do you need?
I found it easy!

You need a soldering iron, new LEDs, patience and a steady hand!
To do the heater panel, you need the older style as it's not possible to remove the green colouring from the newer panels.

In other news....
I've been outside today taking advantage of the nice weather.
Now my cat has a fat ass!

WP_20130803_004_zps9ebcb7e5.jpg

WP_20130803_005_zps13e81a6a.jpg

I tried to reduce the size of the ABS sensor on one side as 20mm spacers are a bit too much for the standard sensors. But, my 'bodge' backfired when I broke... well, basically sheared one sensor in half.
Luckily, I was saved by my soldering iron and heat shrink! Will do until I get a new loom.
Typically, everything I've needed which I had on my old Puma, I had sold!

Heyyy, pumas lookjng good, i want to do the boot release button but the guides people write are a bit vague, i see your aftermarket silver stereo fascia fits really well, i bought a plain black one and the top doesnt click in place properly as the clips are in the wrong place, probably fiesta mk5 positioning.
where did you buy yours? Or did you modify the top clips to fit?

Latest posts

Back