V8 project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlistairBedford

Hi all.
I recently bought a 2001 black puma off a mate for £20. It was on his drive for a year so he said give me £20 and pick it up and you can have it.
He car is on 96000 miles with full service history, there is a few bits wrong with it
-new cam belt pully
-timing belt
-rear wheel bearing
-and a puncture

Because I bought the car so cheap I want to do sompthing ridiculously cool.
Like a v8

Has anyone done anything like this that could offer some advice and/or share some knowledge

Thanks

I think biggest that's been dropped in the v6 running gear from a 4x4 Sierra, it was a monster project on puma people.

I haven't heard of a v8 being done but would be interested to follow a project on it. There's not a lot of room in the engine bay though and it would screw the front to back weight ratio. But by time rear diff (assuming rwd) goes in and stuff it relocated to boot it would maybe work out. I would imagine at best it would be a two seater car and would probably need a decent amount of chassis reinforcement.

Hi.
Sounds awesome. Think it through, do some sums, donated parts from other cars electrics, mechanical parts to be married up, body work to be chopped about. Waste of time unless you have at least 10 K. Perhaps a fantasy project unless you are an engineering company who wishes to make a name for your self. Please do not get me wrong but anything is doable if you throw enough cash at it. But I think it is wishfull thinking and no more.
Regards,
Richard.

A guy called Dave made a 2.9 V6 Sierra based Puma, it was an epic build with great attention to detail. I believe it was recently up for sale.

The whole build thread is over on the other puma forum

Be interested to see your progress if you start it!

How about taking the rear seats out and dropping the V8 in behind the front seats? wonder if there is room? mid engined Puma now there a thought :grin:

Rover V8 - small (relatively), light, cheap and and endless supply of parts. Plus the management system is stone age so is easy to get a custom ECU. Apart from the crap reliability they are a cracker.

Unless you can do all the work yourself, or have an unlimited amount of money I think you will struggle. Have a read of the the Projects that have done engine swaps (v6/RS/etc). LS engines or an E92 M3 engines are lightweight with a fair amount of power, they aren't cheap and they won't "drop in". It would be an epic project and hats off to you if you finish it. :wink:

Go for it!

But you'll need to do a lot of the work yourself and have about £20k spare depending on engine you pick.

E92 M3 engine would be great!

If this was ever to become a serious project then the ideal V8 engine would be something based around bike cylinder heads. There are hayabusa based V8's out there, Ariel use one in the V8 Atom. Incredibly compact, light and would be ideal for a puma. Incredibly expensive at 23k for a base engine but with rear drive, a high revving v8 that puts out 400bhp and a sequential gearbox it would be EPIC!

On the cheap... Rover V8. Although even that wont be cheap to do. Unless your realistically prepared to sink 15 - 20k into the car then I wouldn't even consider it.

If you do then read this http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/index.php/engines/h1-v8-busa

Latest posts

Back