Project Bumble Bee- Black with a hint of Yellow

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty1.7

Ok well i though it was about time i got a quick picture up- Ill get more up later when i get some taken (again)

So there she is

Spec as she is well,

Pipercross enclosed Viper carbon fibre edtion induction system
Blue Fin superchip
Lowered alot (Not sure what on)
Some sort of stainless exhaust system
Tinted windows (smoked front sides)
Lux Pack

Mods to come- Not sure cash wise we will see

Ok bit of speed bump has been hit- well a big speed bump shall we say- most of you will have seen my thread re the exhaust issue i have

So basically i have decided to sod the expense of it and go hell for leather on the Puma now

Hopefully in 2010 we shall aquire/ beg/ steal/ borrow- on a perment basis/ buy the following

1) New Miltek Exhaust + Sports Cat- £850 just for the system- Really needed due to the flexi pipe blowing on mine now :(
2) New bushes all round- £150 ish- I know you can get them a little bit cheaper but hey round figures and all that
3) New clutch- £200 roughly
4) New Suspension- Coilover all round- £480
5) New whell bearings all round- Don't now yet not even looked
6) Undercar Skid Plates- If im going low then i want protection- Might even be able to sell these as abit of a side line (Not for profit) for those of you who want to go low
7) Maybe new wheels- might not do this but hey- £500 at most
8.) Cam belt, water Pump, Headgasket- Ouch, but i want to do this just for the peice of mind
9) Project Puma Stickers- should of done this ages ago but hey
10) Rear spoiler re-painted as its gone abit matt and new fron splitter of sorts (FRP Look alike?)

Total spend, excluding labour- £2500- /£2750- Ouch and thats with out the labour

Anyone got any thoughts on this / way to progress on this?

Ouch :(

Product Quantity Price
Milltek Sport EVO 4-2-1 Sport Cat £299.99
Package Deal Uprated/Poly Bushes Full Car Puma/Fiesta Mk.4-5 £127.64
Kevlar-Tec Super Sport Clutch 220mm £170.39
Genuine Ford Hydraulic Clutch Slave Cylinder £59.00
Puma & FRP Cam Belt and Tensioner Kit £71.12
AP Coil over suspension kit Puma Eye mount £317.38
Milltek Sport FRP Exhaust System £268.69
Milltek Sport EVO 4-2-1 Manifold £260.86

Subtotal: £1,575.07

Deliver to: UK: Mainland UK: (44.25kg) £25.50

UK VAT: £240.09

TOTAL: £1,840.66

Question is will it be worth it- Bearing in mind thats not everything

Buy an FRP!

Also be aware that Powerflex in the rear beam are fine for smooth track use, but aren't so good on even vaguely broken tarmac.

Flash- Im saving for a frp- as well as keeping this one- 2 Pumas for me this black as the ' daily' and when i get one a FRP as the Alternatively 'daily'

Don't mean to patronise, but for the amount of cash you are going to throw at both your current Puma and then an FRP, you could probably get something more interesting, which would retain a lot more of it's value when you come to sell.

Flash, your not patronsising at all there i totally agree and understand where your coming from- but i will have the something intresting in the form of the Quattro i'm restoring as well- Thats going to be a long long long proccess though, hell its currently sat in a farm yard with grass growing out of the bonnet

Plus You only live once, you can't take it with you, and I've no one to share it with so sod it.

Cool, so long as you have thought about it before splashing the cash.

Need to know about your lambdas, as it may complicate the fitting of a performance system.

Yeah- cheers for the info on that- i had seen people say things were different but i didn't realise they were this different

1,800 seems a good amount. I recon i've spent close to that figure on mine already including labour costs tho.

At the end of the day, yes you can go out and buy a faster car for less money. But i know for a fact, whatever car i buy, its going to get modified. Its just me. I like to have a car thats personal to me and different from the normal cars you see on the streets.

Good point on the lambda as well, i still need to do this! What happens if i only have one lambda? How do i block up the second hole on the exhaust system? I'm 99% sure i dont have a check engine light.

If you only have one lambda, then there isn't a problem. In the event that the exhaust has two holes, you can just block the second one with a short bolt.

The problem arises if you do have two lambda's. Not all performance exhausts have a provision for a second lambda, so you may need to get a new hole drilled, and a suitable bolt welded on to mount the second lambda (beyond the cat). If you don't mount the second lambda beyond the sport cat then the MIL (if fitted) will illuminate. The way I got around this was to change my management to an earlier unit that doesn't use the second lambda.

If your MIL/CEL doesn't illuminate for a moment on startup, then you probably only have 1 lambda and an earlier management (TAPE on digi dash cars).

If you look at the pic below, behind the engine, you can see the green and blue lambda connections, if you don't have these, and just have a single black connector, then yours is a one lambda car. If you do have the green and blue, then yours is a two lambda car, and things are more complicated if you want to keep the MIL off.

FRPInlet012.jpg

Ok another speed bump- Well bloody pot hole actually :(

On the way into work had to avoid some bloody corsa a driver who seemed to think he was Aryton Senna and hit what can only be discribed as the grand canyon of pot holes.

The wheel looks ok, but there is now a avery slight vibration through the wheel.

So to my £1840.66 i need to add around £500 for new wheels and tyres.

Oh and then labour :(

Why do we do these things to ourselves.

N.B- Cheers for the above photo flash ill pop the bonnet on the way home and have a gander, then report back

First port of call next year now though- and am on call tonight- ah well fingers crossed there is no lurking damage,had a good scout around it and it seems ok

Cheers for that Flash, explains it very well, think my car is only 1 lambda but i will check later.

Unlocky scott. Though i wouldnt go the whole hog and get new wheels straight away. Its probably something much more cheap and simple.

Hag- I'm looking at new wheels any way- but i would rather look later then now- hopefully its just tracking, wheel weight

Scotty: even if you only have one lambda sensor, you'll need to extend the original wire to get it down to where the new manifold ends. I had this problem, and had to get the computer reprogrammed to account for the longer wire and increased resistivity affecting the values.

If you're ever in the north-east, get in touch. I'll be pleased to show you what you're getting with a full Milltek system :)

Jamie- Sound like plan dude, cheers for the advice

Could yuou do the adaptions on the ecu with the bluefin handset?

Mixed views on the whole thing about increased resistance due to extending the wiring. I ran mine on the original DIVE ECU for a few months and it was fine, didn't notice any problem. Given the age of your car, if you don't have two lambdas, you should have a TAPE ECU, which can take the FRP map (which would solve any possible issue of increased resistance). There was a guy in Barnsley who had the map, not sure what he charges though. He had a post on zsoc.com.

Regarding the extension, you have two choices, either chop and extend your existing lambda, or visit a scrap yard and get a plug & socket from a simiar vintage Ford, then using 5A automotive cable, just make up a 450mm extension harness. If yours is the earlier version, Ford did a lambda extension harness for the FRP, I don't think these are available anymore though.

Latest posts

Back