Planning my puma conversion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focichris

Hi new to this site.

Would it be possible to get some help please i didnt know whether this was the right topic to post in but since its about the 1.7 puma engine i thought i would put it here. Ive been reading this forum and u guys seem like knowledgeable enthusiasts.

Im a apprentice mechanic and planning on putting a puma engine into a fiesta, because im after a project to do and found out that its one of the most simplist ones that u can do with fords so i thought ill hav a crack at it. Before i get put in the fireing line by you guys for going to rip apart a puma its merely for a project, i heard there pretty much plug and play when they are put into the fez and the only mod really needed is a engine mount from a puma but im looking into this, the question i want to ask u guys is can u bring the standard 1.7 to FRP spec with the FRP inlet manifold, FRP Cams, remap and a decat exhaust system? Would it be cheaper to just buy and put the FRP engine in it or to modify the standard one?

Is there anyone that has taking the standard 1.7 about 150bhp without forced induction, im thinking throttle bodies? or other mods

thanks

The FRP engine was originally a standard 1.7 block.

Other than the modifications you suggest there's not much else done at all to bring the power up.

Sounds like an interesting project for you though :eek:k:

It does depend on how mental you want to go.

You mention a de-cat exhaust, would a 4-2-1 manifold and sports cat be a better and more legal option?

Personally, Long term I'm looking at a Ported, Polished and Gas flowed head with enlarged valves, Shawspeed SS4/SS3 cams, FRP Inlet, 4-2-1 Manifold, Sports cat and a good mapping session. The target is a not unresonable 160bhp eventually

I think with these parts its acheviable but your talking the best part of 3-4k for the parts, plus fitting, plus mapping and set up costs- byt the time its all done you deep into 5k i would say. It kinda makes you wonder for that sort of money you could get something much quicker as a second car for weekend fun- M3, older Evos etc

If its a project why not fit suzuki gsxr 750 throttle bodies quite an simple modification to fit them. then just need a remap. 7200rpm rev limit you would get 160bhp+ screamer! All day long. plus the standard internals will take it.

BlackKnight1982 said:
If its a project why not fit suzuki gsxr 750 throttle bodies quite an simple modification to fit them. then just need a remap. 7200rpm rev limit you would get 160bhp+ screamer! All day long. plus the standard internals will take it.

Interesting. Anyone steer me in direction as to where I could find more info on this??

Cheers

KG

red-Cheers

Guru!-Ive got the decat thing under control, and fitting isnt a prob since im a apprentice mechanic so its just really the parts and a mapping session really, cheers for info, and i would dream to hav a evo or an m3 but the insurance will pillage me thats if i can get insurance im 18 and live in a high risk area, im paying 2.8k on my insurance on a 1.6 focus but the lump sum wont be payed straight away it will be gradually.

Project Petrol Head!- can you please give me some more info on these suzuki gsxr throttle bodies, sounds interesting, what else needs done with these i hardly know anything about uprating throttle bodies so would it be possible for u to explain please

Ive got a bit of info on my pc at home, which i will have a look for when i get home.
ive found this website which will help.
http://www.everettmail.co.uk/mods/mods_throttle_bodies.htm
Basically the earlier gsxr throttle bodies (600 better mid range, 750 more top end), are individual tb's which bolt up on a long shaft you basically undo and just spaced them out using washers and bolts to fit your inlet. You will have to slighty modify the throttle linkage arms to make sure they all work. which just needs either a small plate welding or riveting on each one.
Your will have to modify your inlet manifold but you can buy a second hand one for peanuts from the scrappy's, you can use silicon hoses to join the inlet to the inlet or you could get a new one make by a engineer, then just build it all up then fit it all in one hit.
SIMPLES!
You will need a dastek or a emerald ecu or some sort of remapping. but you would need to get some sort of mapping anyway to get best out of any tuning or mod's so its no skin off your nose. but its a fairly budget conversion with proven results.

Your best starting point IMO is cams, they made a noticable difference to mine, more than the inlet, exhaust or ECU.

i would prefer acceleration rather than top end so would the 600 be better? or is there any other ones and how much are we talking for the throttle bodies to get everything thats needed and i dont know if ill be able to do the modification ill hav to hav a proper look at the link after i write this message, so do u think the throttle bodies alone will give 160 bhp? so when exhaust and cams are fitted, how much power do u reckon it will be kicking out about 170-175?

how much do u think the following are gonna be (estimate)?

throttle bodies?
FRP Cams?
Exhaust?

thanks guys u been a great help

I still have a couple of pairs of new FRP cams, £200/set.

OC Motorsport are doing full Milltek for just over £650, sport cat is another £300 ish. Used Milltek/Piper Mani is typically £200 (£300 new), then you have the system and sport cat, prices used for these vary.

mmmmmmm.....I have some Yamaha FZR600R carb's...would that work???

They've been sat doing nothing for 10 years so might aswell put them to use as I can't see me putting the bike on the road anytime soon as I'd rather buy one that's working (which I might just be doing if the price is right on one I was told about yesterday).

I agree cams do make a lot of difference.
Yeah 600's would be better then, otherwise it will be really peaky!
I wouldn't go Bhp chasing, as you dont even know what you have to start with. if your going to modify it for your needs you need to know what you want it for?
some people dont want power, some want better throttle response or a better handling car. Ouch As for £650 for an exhaust plus £350 for a sport cat, i reckon u could get the whole tb conversion done for little over £650 including mapping!!
as for yamaha tb's i dont know!

suzuki gsxr tb's is a tried & tested method on zetec's.

http://www.altiss.com/ThrottleBodies.html
do spacer kits (though you could easily make one yourself) and would make you a custom inlet too!

blackknight is there any chance to explain more have u got a link to where i can buy the TBs, and what parts exactly is needed for this? the throttle bodies them selves and a remap and is there a ''how to'' anywhere on the net

with the TBs on what 0-60 time should i expect? sub 7 secs? and which ones did u mean would be peaky the 600s

Just search under gsxr throttle bodies on zetec on google.
Loads of people have done it!
You can get the throttle bodies off ebay as you need the earlier tb's which are 4 tb's just fixed together.
Ive got idea on 0-60 times with tb's! 0-60 depends on loads of factors.
750cc ones are bigger, than the 600's so the 750cc ones will be peakier.

cheers and by peaky do u mean running out of power?

so the parts that are needed are the 4 throttle bodies, and which inlet is best for the job the standard one or another one? and would i need aftermarket management or just a remap

are these the fellers http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-GSXR600-GSXR-THROTTLE-BODIES-COMPLETE-/310227215061?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item483afba2d5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back