VCT SLIP

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

I have recently been setting my ford puma 1.7 engine, i have had 3 sets of cams first two were from piper cams and we didn't get any compression, we then switched to Kent cams which where brilliant overjoyed with full compression we then booked into a tuner for full set up of the cams, as we were reversing it to the trailer for delivery we heard a knocking sound and loud clunk, with inspection we have noticed that the VVT pulley was two or three teeth out of time, all parts were torqued up to the advised setting so no chance it could be knocked out of time that way. Has anyone had this problem before ? We do not want to get the head repaired for it to happen again??? please help.

Thanks for the reply, the timing was spot on before we put everything together, we have the appropriate timing tools specified in the link.

So was this guide followed when re-timing? It's just it's very common for the engine not to get set exactly right.

Also for clarity this is VCT not VVT in case anyone stumbles upon this thread looking for information.

I will take note of this thanks guys, but why would my VCT Pulley be out of time and not the exhaust pull ? surely a slack tensioner would affect the exhaust side first as it's the same side ?

Hi Charlie
Rick (YOG) is spot on in pointing this out. I'm pretty sure the tensioner pin has been pulled out in one go which means the tensioner stop plate wouldn't have been pulled up into it's correct position which means the tensioner can spring too far back allowing the belt to jump the sprockets. You need to buy another VCT stretch bolt for the inlet cam and go through the whole timing and tensioner procedure again making sure that you observe the Gates technical bulletin to the letter. If not it will do the same again.
Barry

Back