Project Silver, PIC HEAVY

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be interesting to see what difference adding the shocks etc make to your ring time.

My tyres hardly wore on the 4 laps I did last July, I went from the ring last year and did another 4000 miles round europe and got back in August and only JUST changed the fronts last month so managed 16k on them still, as you say, it's not hard wearing on the tyres....unless of course you do about 20 laps...lol

Haha yeah thats true

Today I cleaned and waxed car, also did engine bay but will post pics when iv applied the dressing. Some pics.

m4.jpg

m8.jpg

m10.jpg

m11.jpg

Thought this pic highlights the wider rear track after axle spacers

m12.jpg

Blimey thats awesome- and a 10 minute 48 second run that very very good!! Clearly someone who knows there way round the ring abit.

Shotgun on a Pax lap with your good self if we all go next year!!

thanks for comments mikey, sadly takes a lot of work to keep it that way :(

scotty - actually it was more like a 10:20 bridge to gantry :p timing starts at the bridge bit at the top of the long straight about 30 seconds into the vid and ends at the gantry just after the final corner

anything under 10 mins id be happy with although im not one for going OTT chasing times as thats when accidents happen

Blimey- defo is some going, although i think sub 10 in a standard set up puma would be hard to get, FRP maybe just maybe with the optional diff, but a normal puma, i think your lap is as fast as you can expect, still dam good going.

With the new set up on suspension, and maybe new bushes, poss strut braces to you could get close to sub 10. Maybe with more power and a diff as well

Do you use a megs g220 to keep your car that clean?

just had a megs clay, and waxed regularly with p21s

also used Jetseal109 to seal the wheels and body

Through job then.

Im starting to do more then just a aweekly wash to mine myself

Geeting more and more into the detailing side of things.

Need to aoet out some stuff though and get it all boxed off.

The target is next feb, so i can be in a posiotion to hit the ring- once maybe twice next year

£20

06072010598.jpg

06072010599.jpg

and before anyone mentions heat soak i didnt buy it to go faster i got it just to get a bit more grunt, getting bored of the dull engine note and have grown out of louder exhausts this was a comprimise :lol:

Changed rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders,

Old affairs

P1050158.JPG

P1050160.JPG

P1050159.JPG

P1050164.JPG

All new mintex stuff

P1050165.JPG

found out that my puma is running a later style master cylinder and servo which is innefficient with the 300mm brakes.

Heres the visual differences, basically swapped mine which is the silver one pictured with the black earlier setup

newsetup.jpg

The old style has a black master cylinder and the brakes lines come out one each side and looks like this

oldsetup.jpg

I sourced all the stuff i needed..

Old style (black) master cylinder with servo.
Vacuum hose for old setup
The 2 brake lines going to the abs pump from the old setup.

Swapped over all the kit, bled the brakes, and change drear wheel cylinders and brake shoes at the same time and the difference is far far better.

Brakes are a vast improvement and i thought they were good before, firmer pedal really really strong braking action.

Also changed all the fluid to Dot 5.1

Took a risk and got some 300mm brake calipers off ebay for 40 quid for both. This will be an upgrade 258mm > 300mm

Arrived today and were in a bit of a sorry looking state

brakesbefore.jpg

brakesbefore1.jpg

Dismantled them and all seals and pistons were in good condition

brakesbefore2.jpg

So carried on with the refurb, after an hour or two with the dremel and applied first coat of Silver

brakesafter.jpg

New brake bits and pieces :!

02062010491.jpg

last pic with final coat and pads fitted before they go on the car, probably tomorrow evening

p1050122.jpg

Then i fitted em

Cling film over reservoir to help prevent fluid escaping when i remove the brake hoses

brakes1.jpg

Loosening the brake hose

brakes2.jpg

Removing old caliper carrier bolts

brakes3.jpg

Caliper removed

brakes4.jpg

Old caliper cable tied in place

brakes5.jpg

Needed to drill these holes out to 12.5mm.

brakes6.jpg

Drilling using plenty of WD40 as cooling agent.

brakes7.jpg

Now holes big enough to fit new 15mm caliper carrier bolts through.

brakes8.jpg

Disc on

brakes9.jpg

Caliper and disc on

brakes10.jpg

New caliper carrier bolts going on

brakes11.jpg

Tightening slide pin bolts

brakes12.jpg

Halfway done got caught in rain so nicked my mums sun brolly as they are away at the moment so cant moan at me

brakes13.jpg

Forgot to add this image,

old vs new!

compare.jpg

Done other side, bled brakes and pics of them on

brakes14.jpg

brakes15.jpg

brakes16.jpg

brakes17.jpg

brakes18.jpg

got to say they are really good now, know fade at all and get that feeling in my head that me and ojc got on the braking test at Millbrook :eek:

Excellent mod for just around 110 all in, that includes renewing all seals etc of the calipers!

picked these up, Recaro

10072010600.jpg

won them on ebay £40, so so much more supportive then my standard ones

seatall1.jpg

seatall2.jpg

seatall3.jpg

seatall4.jpg

Repainted the recaro badges

decided to paint one and see lol, i used a technique called dry brushing

P1050284.jpg

all done

19072010632.jpg

and in the car

19072010633.jpg

P1050286.jpg

New ring vid from this year, in the9's

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFoMWf6eMk[/youtube]

nice work steve your 300mm brake guide has helped me recently. can you give me any info on changing the master cylinder ?

What info are you after? PM me

Wanting to do this for a while and reading that bush thread kicked me into action

Plan is to refurbish and improve some old lower arms i have kicking about. This will be a slow affair as im in no rush and the parts will be bought as and when.

The plan is to replace the standard rivetted in ball joint with a bolt in type so it can be replaced on its own, more cost effective etc.
First is to drill out the old rivets, not an easy task

20072010636.jpg

Ball joint seperated from arm

20072010637.jpg

Next up is to get the arms powder coated, probablt black or silver undecided, open to ideas?

Then the rear bushes will be fitted with racing puma items, the front will probably be poly bushed or ford not yet decided on that either, and removable ball joints

yeah ive done this with my lower arms they're great!

and how to remove and fit would be great mate.

finished the other arm which was a bastard because the original front bush was still pressed in, cut my fucking finger getting it out too :mad: now i cant type with my left hand

the extent to go to to remove the bastard

21072010657.jpg

So this evening more work

Removed the rear bumper

6.jpg

I then used rust killer paint on all the leading and suspect edges

7.jpg

8.jpg

And also inside the archs, this is a dirt and rust trap also

9.jpg

cars looking great mate

just wanted to ask about the servo swap, was is it worth doin? is it an expensive mod to do??!!
im gonna fit the 300mm on mine next couple of weeks might do the servo at the same time?!

Latest posts

Back