Budget Puma TURBO Project!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlackKnight1982 said:
I can't understand how toby's puma can do a 0-100mph in 12.33 secs put only posted a 15.59 sec 1/4??
simple, its a sprint car so it doesnt need to be massively quick at top end and certainly not above 100. although that does sound a bit slow still.

youll find the same with most rally and hillclimb cars.

good 1/4 mile times mean just that, your cars good at 1/4 mile. doesnt mean its good on track or in the real world. very few cars are masters of all disciplines. You have to choose what you want out of it really.

I think there was a post on PumaP a while ago with some more up to date figures for the car taken from the on board data logger. Something like 5.1 to 60 under 12 to 100 with 1/4 mile in the mid 13s.

Fwd car with 180hp isnt going to do 0-100mph in 12 seconds. It would have to weight about 500kg to even get close. And if it did that with a 15 second quarter it would of crossed the line at about 130mph. Defo a typo error.

Hey ya'll, i finally got my car on the dyno today, and im VERY VERY pleased with the results!!! :p Im waiting for the guy to email me the graph, but i got a vid of the screen as it was being done!! Ill let my vid do the talking!! It did decide to lean out at top end, but ill hopefully sort that with a few tweeks!!
Also, clutch cant quite handle the 230bhp! So ill be off to get it swapped over!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5egWgoFGN0[/youtube]

Well you gave the game away before I could watch the video....lol.

Didn't I see 238.5 bhp!!, that must be an awesome car to drive now. I want 238 bhp in my little Puma too, what a sleeper it would make my Stig - just remembered, I called mine Stig a few weeks back...lol.

Was just looking at your graph as Matt has put it on facebook. Your making the standard factory puma power 125hp at 3300rpm :lol:
Theirs also a video of you blowing a big flame as well. Proper blokes puma now!!!

Have to agree with Warren's suggestion, a guide to doing this would be brilliant ;)

Just started reading this thread from the beginning and I like this quote from your first post:-
PumaNoob said:
im not going for massive power here, just a fast, while still reliable car.

Nearly twice the standard power is a massive power increase in my book....lol

I dnt think it's 235bhp,I think the guy said an estimated flywheel figure is 229bhp,& 202 @ the wheels I think, but I'm sure Vvc mini can put me right if I'm wrong?? Yeah, wouldn't mint putting up that vid of the flame, I know it scared the crap out of alot of people behind the car!!! I think it made about 300nm torque, or 230ft/lbs. I think I might do a how to thread, as there seems to be alot of interest in this! If anybody wants my ignition map, I can email it to you if you just want to look at it, or it might help you with your project.

But I've got a new plan as i think I've maxed out the 1.7!!! I'm buying a 2.0 St150 engine to replace the 1.7 so watch this space for Puma 2.0 turbo project, comming soon to a forum near you!!! :twisted:

I'm looking for closer to 300 horses with the next project, or a 12 sec 1/4!!

@ yippeekiay : Lol, we were laughing about that yesterday, I only wanted 170bhp so I could beat Vvc mini in his Vvc coupe, but I got a real taste and greed for power, and the whole budget theme went out the window!!

I don't remember the cost of everything, but I'll list everything I can remember, if there's anything I've forgotten just ask.
The turbo you can get for about £150, I got mine with oil feed pipe & return with mine
I got 2 head gaskets for £55 from ford (mates rates)
de comp plate £40
focus rs spark plugs £15 from ford (mates rates)
intercooler piping free from VVC Mini
downpipe home made for £50
Exhaust £50 modified fiesta RS turbo exhaust
Paddle clutch (was less then £200 but I think that's a reasonable price)
boost gauge was about £20
boost controller £20
head skimming and shimming £80
HD rod bolts £100 from shawspeed
intercooler was about £35
air fuel gauge was about £25
pillar pod about £10
powerboost valve was about £20 off fleebay
oil return to sump was £6 off fleebay
megajolt was £150, fitted & mapped by me!
Head bolts off 1.6/1.4 about £20 off fleebay

Other mods that I added but in my opinion made no difference but I've no evidence to show either way
Frp cams £250
Walbro pump about £70 off fleebay

optional extras :
Air filter (I paid about £30, but obviusly prices vary)
oil catch tank £15 ( definately reccomended as a turbo pressurises the head)
shift lights about £2 frm maplin
Magnecor leads £10( I got a really good deal on these, I don't think anyone will get a set this cheap)

I think that's about it!

I think that's about it

mmmm...that's a lot of parts.

The only thing that bothers me is the head skimming, new conrods etc as that means not being able to have the car for a period of time.

Maybe I should get my motorbike back on the road before trying this or buy a banger to see me through it.

The biggest problem is finding someone close to me who I can trust to install it all correctly as I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to try it on my own, in fact I know I wouldn't.

Wish I hadn't hesitated on the kit for sale on here/ebay as that would've reduced the price a fair bit even if it wasn't a complete setup.

WOW you gotta be happy with that power. Your running a t25 turbo aint u?
I would love to see the graph of that!
Ive just been a little pre occupied the last few weeks with my Fabia VRS, but i will be getting my project sorted in the next two months.
Looking to do the nurburgring next year and a few track days with my puma as ive decided to just "track" it right out.

Not really mate, sunnys kit was just a turbo, manifold adaptor with manifold, intercooler and piping, with boost gauge and controller. You could pick all that stuff up for around £350! You don't have to go for the rod bolts, as my power graph shows power dropping off after 5000rpm, so to get max accelleration, you'd change around 6000, that's why my 1/4 mile time isn't as good as it could be. Rod bolts really only need to be changed if you increase rev limit. So I don't feel I really needed them.
Even if you did change rod bolts, it's only an hours job, just drop the sump off, & the baffle plate, then the oil pick up, & the rod bolts are just there to swap out! You don't need to lower compression if you only want to run low boost, I just did it because I was rebuilding the engine anyway. I think you'd get about 170-180bhp from just that, but duelling would be the main issue with standard ecu. With an frp ecu, you can fuel fine upto about 7psi. Mine was about 170-180, & had lower compression.
I suppose it all depends on budget, skill level,& the amount of power your looking for, I truly believe that the 1.7 is a very very strong engine, I'm running 230bhp @ 12psi, on all standard internals & have been running 7psi for 2k miles now, & it's not missed a beat! I've messed around with lots of things, fuel pressure, cam settings, boost, rev limit (I've tried it at 7400) and it purrs like a kitten!! I think these engines will take 250bhp, but you'd struggle with injectors, I tried mondeo side feed injectors, and it ran like crap! Also getting a strong enough 220mm clutch, my paddle clutch needs uprating, it was ok at 200, but now it slips/judders when trying to accelerate in high gears!

BlackKnight1982 said:
WOW you gotta be happy with that power. Your running a t25 turbo aint u?
I would love to see the graph of that!
Ive just been a little pre occupied the last few weeks with my Fabia VRS, but i will be getting my project sorted in the next two months.
Looking to do the nurburgring next year and a few track days with my puma as ive decided to just "track" it right out.

yeah mate, it's alot more then I expected. The power graph peaks up at about 3500 where max bhp is, then it drops off a little up to about 6000, he didn't go any more then that. I could be wrong though, as I've only glanced at the graph, & I was more interested in max bhp! I'll try and get it up asap. I really want to see your charger figures, because when I compare it to mine, that will decide if I use a turbo or s/c on my nxt project :D

Thanks for the info. It's really leading me towards doing this in some form or other as I find the only thing lacking with the Puma is quite simply it's power. I think I could live with all the other nuances if it was more powerful which is against my initial plans for the car i.e I wasn't gonna bother about performance, but I now like the car more and more with each mod I do as even in standard form it's a wolf in sheeps clothing but I feel I would like to have a bit more bite to that wolf!!.

A quick question....Do you run the car at 7psi most of the time to keep wear and fuel costs down and just up it for special occasions?......and can you have the higher boost available at the flick of a switch as it were, or are some further tweaks required each time?

I don't really have a budget for any type of conversion (I was going to buy a VXR8) but obviously throwing money at it would have a limit at some point where a newer, more powerful alernative would be the better option.

Well that's exactly what I was going to do, but not a sport Ka, just a bog standard ka, with black bumpers, & banded steel wheels. If you stripped everything out, I think I'd be looking at nearly 300bhp per tonne, I reckon you could get one down to 800kg or less, so you'd give the big boys a shock!! This engine is comming out in about 2 weeks, so if I can pick up a cheap ka, that's what I'll do!
Yippekiay, I run 10 psi all the time, I only ran 7psi on standard ecu! I have another puma and a focus to drive if I want economy, but the really interesting thing is, it's actually really good on fuel if y ou don't drive it full throttle everywhere, because it only really boosts fully on full throttle. The engine is at lower revs for the same power, so less effort, less fuel!!If you wanted to switch boost, the cheapest and easiest way is a boost controller (that's what I use). You just turn the knob for more or less boost! You can mark it so you know where each boost level is! And you can even mount it in your car! It's just power on tap! The other option is an electronic boost controller, but can be very expensive.
My focus and other puma have cobwebs and moss all over them, I don't think I've driven either car for at leaste 6 months!!

hmmmm. if your keeping your engine then dude ill have to start sourcing part then :) if you think you have forgotten anything ill need off that previous list dude let me know as ill start looking for parts now :)

ewilliams.jpg

Here the dyno graph. Power at wheels.

Pumanoob looking all cool with his 10 year old laptop :lol:

1001799k.jpg

1001780i.jpg

Latest posts

Back