V Reg Puma - full service

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gzunk

Hello,

I have a V reg Puma thats done about 75,000 miles, and I'd like to put it in to get a "full service" that'll mean it lasts another 5 years and looks as good as new (or at least as good as it can).

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with it, but how much would this cost? Or is the question so vague as to be meaningless...

I suppose I'm asking for how much to expect for an engine tune-up, new brakes, new exhaust, new tyres and a paint-job.

Thanks

When I mean paint-job, I mean sort out the rusty arches and various small scratches and chips around the car. Not noticeable from far away, but you can see them up close.

I don't think I've ever had the cambelt changed, so I assume that I'd need that changed. I'm completely clueless when it comes to servicing / mechanical stuff.

My budget is about £2000, is that

a) excessive
b) just about right
c) not enough

Thanks!

well, i`ve just had both my arches and a bit of rust on the door sill done and painted and i paid £300 cash but i think i got a bargain to be honest - as for the cambelt i believe the going rate is £300 ish but i`m sure someone on here will correct me if i`m wrong. I would like to think £2k is plenty but i supose it depends on what actualy needs doing and how bad it is - there are a few recommended garages who would be able to help you depending on where you are - there is a list on here somewhere, i think evilrob looks after it these days (someone correct me if i`m wrong!) :thumbs:

Nope....spot on!!

How long is a piece of string comes to mind when your wanting to know how much to get any car into tiptop condition as it all depends on how good it is now.

Only one way to find out - go to Ford and let them take your eyes out then half the cost for going to a decent garage then half the cost for a not so decent garage, then half the cost again for DIY....lol.

Your car is coming up to the time for a timing belt change so I'd make that your first priority

I'm in Scotland - so I'll have a ring round the Scottish garages in the list and see what they say.

I'll remember about the timing belt - but if I take it to a Ford garage and ask them to look it over I should be able to get some idea of the cost then?

thanks!

Its normally about £200-£300 including parts it can cause major engine damage if the belt breaks

Having a service wont make the car last five years, it needs a service every year. It could pack up 10 miles down the road after a service if the cam belt snaps.

Cam belt and water pump are top priority (£300-£400), the bodywork will need doing at some point but it's usually underneath and structural that will affect the life of the car. Arches cost between £600-£800 to be done properly with a guarantee. Regular oil changes are also essential, but as for everything else, there is no point replacing it, if it aint broke don't fix it?

Latest posts

Back