ABS & TC lights

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortina

Can you help me? My pumas ABS & TC lights have come on on the dash and dont go out. I have checked everything important to there operation, but can not find a problem. Was wondrering if its electrical as it has (a) just been in the body shop after the wife tried to re-design it & (b) been in the garage for its MOT. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome!

I assume by "I have checked everything important to there operation" you have checked the mountings are good (close to the castleated ring) and they have the correct resistance across them to ensure they haven't failed?

Maybe look and see that the cables from the sensors are in good condition as if they come out of their mountings, they can be worn by a tyre on full lock.

The fuse is ok in the central fuse box? (The one under the cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel) : Fuse 13, 15A - blue for the ABS.

Also check the related fuses in the fuse box under the bonnet:
fuse 30 - 3 amp ABS
fuse 31 - 30 amp ABS
fuse 33 - 30 amp ABS

To test the sensors:

1. Remove Wheel
2. Remove Inner Arch Lining
3. Unplug ABS Sensor
4. Set Multimeter to Ohms
5. Set Range so meter reads between 1000 and 1200 Ohms
6. Test the sensor plug LEADING to the wheel hub by going across the 2 pins
7. A good sensor should read between the values with an average of 1.1K Ohm
8. Anything else can point to coils breaking down
9. Remember to wiggle the sensor lead when testing to check the internal coils
10. Repeat if necessary on other side.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Just another thought : Can you hear the 12mph "graunch" of the ABS self test? Might need checking out servo wise. Try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins and starting again. Sometimes clears it, but can come back again though if the fault is elsewhere.

I have the same problem (and have done for some time) and it was traced to a faulty ABS sensor on the front. If you know a friendly AA man they have the diagnostic equipment to find out what's wrong.

I really should fix mine, the lights been on since Christmas.

You'll need to fix it for MOT time Elvin. Instant fail if there's a light on.

Got until July to sort mine out.

Might get around to having a look at it on Tuesday!

I'll lend you some tools then whilst I sort your other car out....

Fair enough. Just let me know what I need to do and I'll have a go.

You know me, I'll get stuck in and have a go at it at least. :-D

Evening all,

I need some assistance with my 2001 1.7, I have what appears to be a common fault with these cars; the ABS and TC lights come on intermittently.

I have tried everything suggested on this and other posts-

Front sensors and castleated rings are clean.
All sensors are getting a reading 1.1ohms on the multimeter apart from the front right which starts at 2 and fluctuates down to 1.3ish.
All fuses are fine.
I have cleaned up the sensor face and castleaded rings in the rear drums.
No apparent damage to any wiring.

It does the 12mph self test but when the lights are on to indicate a problem I get a horrible grinding sound. Could it be that front right sensor?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as the MOT expires on the 20th so need this sorted beforehand.

Dan :grin:

Sounds like your front right sensor is the culprit then.

If you take it to any decent garage, they'll be able to put a diagnostics tester on it to confirm.

Welcome along btw.

Thanks for the welcome, found this site to be very useful when looking to buy my puma :grin:

Only garage I could find open on a Sunday was Kwik Fit who I would normally avoid using but needs must. They wanted £40+ Vat just to plug in the diagnostics - offered the guy £20 cash in hand and he snapped it up.

Results came back as no signal from front right sensor so problem solved, it also picked up an open circuit on both front sensors; is this normal?

When buying a replacement are the sensors sided, ie will they be different for right and left?

Dan.

The left and right sensors on the front are the same.

Glad you've got to the bottom of it.

Well, fitted a new sensor I picked up from Eurocar Parts and after a quick spin all seems well.

Pedal feel is also much improved which is a bonus, thanks for your help Dal.

A full service and cam belt change next jobs on the list :grin:

my reading when set to 2000 Ohms are
front passenger 1089
front drivers 1120
would i be right in assuming the 1089 reading is the bust one?

Both readings are within tolerance of the 1100 resistance it should be. Have you checked to see if their connected ok? No breaks in the wire? Are the castleations they point at all clear?

[albumimg]120[/albumimg]

Maybe a rear one?

that's the next job, going to take the sensors off and give em a clean,

Think i'm going to owe you a pint soon Dal

No worries.

Check the rear ones too as well as the grooves behind the hub sometimes get gunked up with brake shoe dust:

[albumimg]2491[/albumimg]

Latest posts

Back