Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried replacing the battery? It could be that simple. :eek:k:

Brand new batteries in the fob the key fob is working fine as in the bulb works but the puma wont go into programming mode to detect the key in the first place.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Parksy87 said:
Brand new batteries in the fob the key fob is working fine as in the bulb works but the puma wont go into programming mode to detect the key in the first place.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. After changing batteries the FOB doesn´t open the car.
(Two keys infrared key, early 98 1.7i Puma).
I tried to reprogram the remote, but when changing the contact from position 0 to I, the led in the clock stays blinking the same way it does when the car is closed or when no key inthe contact. so it never enters the programming mode.
Maybe i didn´t understand the instructions, but i think the LED must stay on after a while, then i have to turn the key from I to 0 and start with the programming procedure in front of the car sensor.

I would thank any help.

I can't help any as I've never had the IR but welcome to the site and I hope you get it sorted :eek:k:

Saraimostaza said:
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. After changing batteries the FOB doesn´t open the car.
(Two keys infrared key, early 98 1.7i Puma).
I tried to reprogram the remote, but when changing the contact from position 0 to I, the led in the clock stays blinking the same way it does when the car is closed or when no key inthe contact. so it never enters the programming mode.
Maybe i didn´t understand the instructions, but i think the LED must stay on after a while, then i have to turn the key from I to 0 and start with the programming procedure in front of the car sensor.

I would thank any help.

The solution is thus (just worked on mine anyway). The flashing led doesn't stay solid-it just has a long pause where it stays lit for like 3 seconds. That is when you need to remove the key from the ignition. If you remove it at the time when it stays illuminated for that little bit longer it should stay lit (ie go into programming mode) and follow the rest of the destructions as written :)

I have two kwys for my 1998 puma, the central locking is infa-red. both keys are 2 button.

one of the keys starts the car, and used to open the car with the button.

the other key wont start the car, but would open the car with the button!

none of the keys will open the car using the locks manually!!

i was locked out of the car when the key stopped working, i got in and the alarm went off, i have disconnected it now, but when ever i reconnect it the alarm goes off straight away!
how do i stop the alarm from going off while i try and re-code the keys?

I hate to say it, but your best bet might be either going to Ford, or to a larger branch of Timpsons. They'll be able to sort out the second key not starting your car. You need to be able to use a key or the remote to unlock the car either remotely, or via the driver's door to disengage the alarm. Ford at least will have a way of doing that. At least, I should think they have...

It sounds like one of your keys doesn't have the correct information to disengage the immobiliser. Do any of the keys work manually on the passenger door? I'm assuming that one at least opens the fuel cap? It sounds to me like some has replaced one or both of your doors at some point, and not bothered to change the locks over because the central locking worked.

non of the keys work in any of the door locks or the boot!
so can I try and recode the key fob for the central locking with the alarm disconected?

I'm sorry, I don't know enough about the alarm to be able to answer that. I don't if the fact that the alarm isn't technicaly deactivated will affect being able to program it or not.

Possible someone changed the ignition barrel and petrol cap lock then...

right i have just tried the 3 button method everything worked well got the fog light on held a button no second beep or light flash, then tried it again this time with just pressing the button once still no joy....any ideas?

Hi all,

I have an 02 thunder. Have tried 3 button method 2, I had the first beep and fog light come on, pressed a button on the fob had the second beep/flash. The lights went off after about 10 seconds but the fob still doesn't work. The key must be ok for the car to recognise the button click and get the second beep?

Any ideas? Do I need to disconnect and re-connect the electrics on the drivers front corner like suggested?

Cheers,

Si.

just programmed my sisters 1.7 51 plate with the three button remote. its quite a confidence boost when something like this works. :grin:
just need to sort her interior light now as the door switch doesnt seem to work after having some repairs done to the front wing!!
cheers
Paul

Just sorted mine out, replaced bonnet switch, reprogrammed key with new batteries, all working :grin: just need to sort HCV :roll: Thanks for the guide :)

Help !! I am well and truely stranded.
I have a 2000 X reg 1.7.
I have never been able to open the doors manually with my 3 button fob key but it will work manually for the boot - yes bizzare.
I have only ever had one fob key for the car and no other "manual" key.

My key fob has died.
I changed the battery, naively assuming that was all that was required.
I now know it needs to be reprogrammed.
The key fob has an "eye" so that means it's IR. Yes ??

Question 1 : Should the "eye" on the fob light up when you press it after changing the battery ? Just like the LED does on a sky tv remote? The "eye" does not light up when I press it after changing the battery. Is it dead or have I just not got the correct contact. The battery is defo a live battery - I have checked it. I don't want to bugger about with the contacts until someone confirms that "yes it should light up".

Assuming... it DOESNT need to light up I have tried one or two of the programming suggestions but when I turn the key to position II as in "Put the key in the ignition and turn it to position II and back to 0 four times quickly but steadily, but must be within 6 seconds)" the alarm goes off and the hazards flash. The LED beside the clock just flashes on and off like it usually does - it doesn't stay on as in "When you remove the key the LED on the clock or the rear fog light switch (bizarre, but there you go) should light up constantly" and I can't hear any bleeping - above the sound of the alarm - which I never knew I even had !

Bearing in mind I cannot manually get in to the car - other than climbing in thro the boot which makes the alarm go off when I open the doors from the inside. I am well and truely stuck.

Any advise is appreciated - also sniggering is allowed - why not it's Christmas :))

Alan B.

I don't think they light up, much like a TV remote.

These are the instructions you should be attempting..

Two Button Remote

1. Put the key to be programmed into the ignition and turn to position 1.
2. After approximately 10 seconds the alarm light (next to the clock) will stop flashing and stay lit. Programming mode has now been activated.
3. Return the key to the 0 position and remove fron the ignition.
4. Aim the remote at the infrared sensor above your rear view mirror, press and hold the lock button.
5. Once the led on the remote has flashed, press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push, all the while making sure the remote is aimed at the infrared sensor. The light on the remote and on your dash will flash about 4 or 5 times to indicate the programming has been accepted.
**repeat steps 4 and 5 to program additional remotes**
6. To end programming mode, put the key back in the ignition and turn to position 1 and wait for lights to go out. Remove the key, wait and then test.

If you have a "3 Button Remote", it is RF, not IR! I don't think you're using the correct programming.

Good point YOG.. now actually what I'm confused about is how it's a 2000 X reg has a key with an eye at all??

thanks for your replies red and YOG

it is a 3 button and when I take the detatchable bit off there is a glass "eye"

I haven't had the car from new and can't expand on the history of the key

Alan B.

Latest posts

Back