Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for clarifying YOG.

So...if it's the RF 3 button instructions I should be using......then my problem is I can't turn the key to Position II without the alarm going off and the neighbours are starting to get a bit pissed off

Yep I recommend method 2 since I wrote them and it worked for me. Regarding the alarm your key should be able to de-activate it with the key in the door I'm not sure how you will get around this :-(

Method 2 - Three Button Remote 1999MY (Tested)

1. Insert the key into ignition.
2. Turn the key to position II and back to position I - 4 times in quick succession (within 3 seconds)
You should be end up at position I
3. You should hear a beep and the rear fog light switch will illuminate
4. You now have around 10-20 seconds to press any key on the fob
5. You will hear a second beep and the indicators will flash (as if you've hit the hazard light switch briefly) to confirm your key press has been registered.
6. Wait for the rear fog light switch to go off.
7. You should now be able to lock/unlock/open the boot.
8. Get out of the car shut the door and try it!

thank you red - do you think that there's any chance that this method will work when the alarm is blaring or does it sound unlikely :(

joseq7 said:
Bearing in mind I cannot manually get in to the car - other than climbing in thro the boot which makes the alarm go off when I open the doors from the inside. I am well and truely stuck.

Yes you are!

It sound like the door locks might have been changed at some point in the cars history and by always using the remote of the ignition key to access it, the key that matches the locks has been lost!

I doubt you will be able to reprogramme the key with the alarm set.

First suggestion (which you've probably tried already) would be to make sure the locks aren't just stuck or gummed up through lack of use. (plenty wd40 to flush them out and work the key back and forth/in and out to free them off)

Secondly, (I don't know if this will work but hopefully someone on here will)
could you trigger the lock from inside the door? by accessing the car through the boot, (muffle the alarm if you can) open the door remove the door card then open the window, close the car and lock the doors to let the alarm reset, then once it's reset reach in through the open window and trigger the lock that way thus unseting the alarm??? (you might have to improvise with a piece of string or wire to get around the window glass)

Good luck :)

I salute you PhilLew for taking the time to post

As you have surmised I have tried the wd40 - the "lock" does seem to "click" but it does nothing to the central locking - it stays well and truly shut.

I will have a go at your suggestion - my immediate thinking is that it might work - it does seem to have a certain logic about it and might trick the alarm.
The alarm blares for about 30 secs and the hazard lights go for about another 5 mins - I also think I spotted some red lights on the side lights but I may have been imagining it in my panic.

oh.....forgive my ignorance but what are you calling the "door card".

Alan B

ps greetings from sunny Paisley

The door card is just the panel that covers the inside of the door usually held in place with screws behind the handles and hidden clips etc so good luck.

I'm new to the Puma, just bought my first one at the weekend but i've had loads of old cars over the years and lots of improvised fixes are fairly generic.

ps I'm working in Paisley tomorrow!!! small world :lol:

Not sure why you would need the door card off but FYI, when I first got my car I was checking the operation of the alarm and I opened the drivers door from the inside by going through the open window technique as the suggestion above and it set off the alarm so I'm going to say this won't work in disabling the alarm unless I'm reading the technique incorrectly.

yippeekiay.....I haven't tried PhilLew's suggestion yet.

I thought it might work as I would be deliberately setting the alarm off by opening the car from the inside after going in thro the boot but putting the window down then getting out of the car and reaching in to manually lock the central locking then wait for the alarm to reset and then unlock the central locking by reaching in thro the open window again.

However after your post I'm thinking it doesn't matter if I'm inside the car or outside it when I manually unlock the central locking. I haven't been shutting the boot after me when I've putting trying the methods suggested. Does this make a difference to the alarm?

Of course it's the alarm blaring that is the most annoying thing - I've been waiting for the old bill to pull up behind me after one of the neighbours has reported a burgalar.

I know under normal circumstances I can manually lock and unlock the central locking from the inside.

How the bloody hell do I trick this stupid alarm!!!
It's a shame the boot isn't part of the central locking and disables the alarm.

Ah......I see what you getting at now. Could be worth a try but not sure if it will reset/switch off the alarm.

Had a quick look in my manual and you can take out the alarm flasher relays. Then you could disconnect the alarm horn which is behind the drivers side rear seat 'door' card. Obviously check that everything else still works as I can't see if they are a part of any other electric system in the car.

yippeekiay.....thanks for taking the time to have a look in the manual.

fortunately I have another ( vastly inferior ) car to still get me out and about.

I am going to try PhilLew's suggestion and I am going to ask my local Puma friendly mechanic if he can help program the key - he has had 4 Pumas so this has bound to have cropped up.

I just can't see the design logic in the key programming going blank once the battery dies - kinda annoying.

Just to try and clarify,
my idea was to access the back of the lock from inside the door not just pull the handle, you already know that sets off the alarm.
Unlocking the car from the back of the door lock MAY turn the alarm off.

I don't know if this will work or not but it's worth a try until you get any better advice :grin:

hello, all and anyone who will help. 98 puma 2 button remote. i think battery is good. the light on the fob comes on (usually) when i press button and hold for half a second? Tested battery also seems good. Has not worked remote central for some time. went through steps to re-programme. The flashing light goes solid, but when i go through the procedure of pressing buttons, while pointing at infa red, nothing happens? the light will not go back to flashing? I dont quite make sense of this phrase (ie you are never holding BOTH buttons)
press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push?
non the less, i cant get passed the part, when the light goes solid.
i need help from one of you clever helpful people.

gibbo said:
I dont quite make sense of this phrase (ie you are never holding BOTH buttons)
press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push?
non the less, i cant get passed the part, when the light goes solid.
i need help from one of you clever helpful people.

Seems clear enough to me:
Two Button Remote

1. Put the key to be programmed into the ignition and turn to position 1.
2. After approximately 10 seconds the alarm light (next to the clock) will stop flashing and stay lit. Programming mode has now been activated.
3. Return the key to the 0 position and remove fron the ignition.
4. Aim the remote at the infrared sensor above your rear view mirror, press and hold the lock button.
5. Once the led on the remote has flashed, press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push, all the while making sure the remote is aimed at the infrared sensor. The light on the remote and on your dash will flash about 4 or 5 times to indicate the programming has been accepted.
**repeat steps 4 and 5 to program additional remotes**
6. To end programming mode, put the key back in the ignition and turn to position 1 and wait for lights to go out. Remove the key, wait and then test.

Hi!

I have two keys, a 3 button remote that I use and a key with a red 'spot' on the 'shoulder' of the key.

With these two keys can I buy a remote key from fleabay and program the new key using the methods at the start of this thread ?

regards
kevin

Hi all,

Just bought a '98 Puma, it came with two keys, one original and one copy, both with red plastic bits on the top. Unfortunately no remote. No problem I thought, eBay can sort anything!

First attempt, bought the wrong type (3 button not 2), epic fail!

Second, bought a brand new 2 button remote. I have tried to program this, but am failing. I can get the car to enter programming mode, with the LED solid. The key LED flashes when I press and hold the button (tried both), but after I press the other button 3 (or 4, 5) times and release both, nothing happens!

I have tried disconnecting the car sensor, the car will not go into programming mode.
I have checked if the alarm works, very annoyed neighbour.

I am beginning to lose it, please help.

As an afterthought, should I be able to see an IR bulb on the new key? The closest to anything I can see is the transponder bulby thingy.

Another thought has just come to me, in the instructions it states that only 4 remotes can be programmed. How can I remove any previous ones? Thinking that it is a 14 year old car and may have had some forgetful owners who lost 4 of them!

i have a three button type, i've had a play tonight with the spare key from my 2008 Fiesta ST500, it was quite amusing locking and unlocking both cars at the same time with one remote, but my question is.....

on the puma i only have one key, a three button remote type, is it possible to make two keys operate the locks because when i used my fiesta key, the puma key stopped working. any help would be appreciated

Adam

Hi. I'm have a Ford Puma 2000yr with 3 button remote key fob. I have to access the car via the boot as the central locking will not work. I havetried method 2 for the 3 button key fob however I have the same problem as "barkerlad83" on 18th July 2011, that is I get the first beep and the fog light lit up, but did not get the 2nd beep when pressing the button on the fob. Am i doing something wrong. Should the key fob be pressed once after the 1st beep and fog light, should the button be held in until i get the second beep, also when pressing the fob should it stay in the ignition or taken out and pointed somewhere. :? The is the last thing i have to sort before i can get the car sold so any help really appreciated :)

Hi Red, thanks for the post. I've had the key fobs diagnostice tested & all was fine, any other suggestions. Do I need to get a new fob, if so where would you recommend. Ebay? Ford? or other? :)

Latest posts

Back