Pippa Puma Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilrob

Well, I've been here since 2009, thought it was about time I started a project thread. Not planning anything outrageous, just want to keep her standard for now (so no wacky FRP engine conversions, Milltek exhausts, poly bushes, Eibach lowering springs/AP coilovers or Quaife LSDs for me just yet - although 17" Speedline Corse Turini's are very tempting) - we're going for pretty rather than fast here; as close to concours as my budget and the fact it's my daily driver will allow.

When clean, she looks like this:

Ford Fair 2014:

DSCF6118_zps3d47f618.jpg

Ford Fair 2013:

IMG_0448.JPG

Just at home:

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

Fiesta in the Park 2012:

IMG_1134.JPG

The goal is to keep the old girl running as well, and for as long, as is possible for a 15 year-old car. She recently ticked over:

80,000 miles (Aug 2012) - I fully intend to double that
85,000 miles (Nov 2012)
90,000 miles (Jan 2013).
92,000 miles (May 2013).
95,000 miles (October 2013).
97,000 miles (August 2014).
100,000 miles (November 2015).
101,984 miles (March 2016)
105,979 miles (March 2017)

COMPLETED MODS:

Interior mods:

Exterior mods:

Engine mods:

GENERAL MAINTENANCE/STUFF REPLACED:

• Cambelt, tensioner, water pump, aux belt, idler pulley, rocker cover gasket (Oct 2013)
  • New top mounts (Oct 2013)
  • New HEGO sensor (Oct 2013)
  • New Clutch / Slave Cylinder
  • New Coil Pack
  • New Ford HT Leads
  • New MAF
  • New HCV
  • New N/S/F Lower Suspension Arm
  • New Front Brake Hoses
  • New Rear Brake Shoes
  • New Front Antiroll bar drop links
  • New Rear Axle Beam Bushes
  • New N/S/R Wheel Bearing
  • New Driver's Side Electric Window Motor Assembly
  • New Aerial and Base
  • New Number Plates

TO-DO IN 2015:

• Fix driver's side wing mirror - it's been knocked and something's snapped inside
  • Get alloys refurbed (some lacquer corrosion here and there I'd like to get sorted) and new tyres all round, Uniroyal Rainsports or Michelin PE2s probably, plus shiny FRP metal valves to replace the not-as-cool-looking rubber ones
  • Get new centre caps and bolt covers for alloys
  • Get a new black bumper trim
  • Get a 'Croatian' steering wheel
  • Install new Mud Flaps all round
  • Install the chrome dial surrounds I got off eBay, considering swapping out the white dials for black dials
  • Replace dog-eared Thunder decals
  • LED sidelights, side repeaters and number plate bulbs
  • Replace broken door card clips
  • See if I can get some kind of patch cable to connect my steering wheel remote to the Alpine head unit
  • Get a dark parcel shelf as mine is unusually light grey
  • Get new gas struts for tailgate
  • Machine Polish

TO-DO AT SOME POINT

• Get bubbling rear arch repaired (appeared Jan 2013) and sort out the little bit of rust on the driver's side sill (worst thing about my car)
  • Get new headlight enclosures - current ones are actually fine, or at least good as far as Puma headlights go, but I've got it into my head I want brand new ones
  • Replace all suspension top mounts/bearings (Bilstein?), dampers (Bilstein B6?) and springs (Eibach?)
  • Get two carpark dings and one stonechip sorted on the bodywork (you can't even see them unless you know where they are and at particular angles, but I know they're there and they annoy me)
  • Underbody sealing to keep future rot at bay following the above expensive repairs
  • Would like to get a brand new rear view mirror as the glass has gone funky round the edges on mine
  • Would like to get a brand new windscreen at some point - I don't even know if you can get the heated ones any more
  • Get new rear light enclosures
  • Get bonnet resprayed
  • Find a front bumper in better condition than mine or respray mine - nasty stone chip and a scratch on black plastic bit from previous owner
  • Find a rear bumper in better condition than mine - some scratches from when it was reversed into
  • Get a second Remote Key Fob
  • Fancy pedals?
  • Window rubbers will need doing at some point - getting a bit chewed and going white in places
  • Tinted rear windows?
  • Do something about the little gay horn
  • Get new tailgate as someone reversed into mine and legged it in Dec 2012 - DONE November 2013
  • Denso Iridium Spark Plugs - canned this idea as Tremona advise Pumas don't like Denso's.

SOMEDAY/MAYBE:

DREAMING:

• FRP inlet manifold - just because it's a cool thing to have; apart from the fact I can't afford one, it's probably a criminal waste of an FRP inlet manifold without everything else to go with it (i.e. cams, exhaust system, airbox, remap etc - would be the start of a slippery slope!) - Got Feb 2012.
  • FRP or FRK bucket seats - Got March 2012.
  • Covers for said bucket seats - Got March 2012.
  • FRP Rear seats - Got May 2012.
  • Having got the above now I need FRP door cards... I knew this was a bad idea. :roll: - Got Late 2012

TOO SILLY (money better put towards an FRP)

• Pioneer HEX-P99RS Head Unit
  • Full Respray and Paintshield
  • 17" Speedline Corse Turini's - in Anthracite probably; they look badass
  • Powerflex poly bushes all round
  • Helix Clutch
  • Brembo four-pot Brakes
  • Rear disc conversion
  • Silicone hoses (blue)
  • Paint calipers (you guessed it... blue)
  • Magnecor HT leads - downgraded this as I got a full set of Ford leads on the cheap
  • Strut braces
  • Quaife Gears / Quaife LSD
  • FRP Cams / remap
  • Uprated torque link, engine mounts
  • Uprated coil pack
  • Replica FRP panels, driveshafts, front wishbones, front hub carriers, steering arms, steering rack limiters, rear spacers... this is getting ridiculous now.

Nice project evilrob :cool:

I personally like what I call 'real-world' projects like this, as I can relate to them more. Don't get me wrong, I have major respect for the PumaNoobs, PumaJays, ScubaSteves etc, and find their projects fascinating but it's dreamworld for me! ... I like modest improvement projects as I can get ideas myself lol! .... (As I did for my black wheels and mirrors, from Slayllian's project :cool: ).

good luck with the rest of the work :lol:

Cheers guys!
Longyear said:
I have major respect for the PumaNoobs, PumaJays, ScubaSteves etc, and find their projects fascinating but it's dreamworld for me! ... I like modest improvement projects as I can get ideas myself lol!
I know exactly what you mean - your torque limiter bypass switch is too hardcore for me! YOG, Topmansparkie and Paulob1 are a few more lunatics I look at what they've been up to and my brain can't quite handle it.

Got a lot of respect for Arch Bishop's valiant efforts to keep Jegger alive too.

evilrob said:
Cheers guys!
Longyear said:
I have major respect for the PumaNoobs, PumaJays, ScubaSteves etc, and find their projects fascinating but it's dreamworld for me! ... I like modest improvement projects as I can get ideas myself lol!
I know exactly what you mean - your torque limiter bypass switch is too hardcore for me! YOG, Topmansparkie and Paulob1 are a few more lunatics I look at what they've been up to and my brain can't quite handle it.

Got a lot of respect for Arch Bishop's valiant efforts to keep Jegger alive too.

Actually, the Torque Limiter Bypass was a pretty big deal for me too lol! .... hadn't ran wires from engine bay to cockpit before, or fitted switches into existing panels; but like everything on the Puma it always seems to go well. And I just love trying new things and learning. :) .. yes, Arch Bishops thread is great too... there are loads of brilliant project threads here... I've lost hours of my life reading them! (2+ hours reading Scuba Steve's project thread last night alone).

Have fun!

evilrob said:
Cheers guys!
Longyear said:

Respect from me to those guys too. Those are the sorts of things I want to be doing, but unfortunately my bank account won't allow it.
I love reading their projects. Not only just out of green faced jealousy, but for inspiration for when my finances are better!

I like to do a mod that people might like, or would like to see which is not 'standard' or doesn't even exist. These mods I try and bring to reality.. e.g. the deadlock beeper.
I've probably got as many weird and wonderful ideas as the next person, but never thought myself of being much of a 'lunatic', but some things I'm not afraid to try.
Again, as finances are tight, I will admit I try and do stuff as cheap as possible and believe it or not, I'm very picky with regards to how things look. If the end result looks crap, it gets binned and swept under the carpet. If not, I'm willing to share with you all...

I love all your mods, Topman - especially your beeper, boot release switch and all your interior and exterior light mods - so original! You very much deserve your place in the coveted Evilrob Puma Lunatic Top 10! :thumbs:

evilrob said:
I love all your mods, Topman - especially your beeper, boot release switch and all your interior and exterior light mods - so original! You very much deserve your place in the coveted Evilrob Puma Lunatic Top 10! :thumbs:
:happee:

I've just been looking through your 'To do' list. Got a few good bits on there.

I'm not going to bother with the heated washer jets. Unless they will defrost the water pipes and the washer bottle! :roll:

I like the 'Dreaming' list... I think mine is twice as long though!! :lol:

I must admit the heated washer jets is less about practical function and more about being a mod I can actually do because someone's gone to the trouble of making a nice numpty's guide I can follow. :derr:

Wow, liking the honesty, you want an FRP inlet because it looks cool!!! :lol: You are not under the illusion like some that it will give you a million horse power!!
A little secret from me, i cant believe im telling you all this, i paid someone £30 about 7 years ago to fit my induction kit on my focus!! :oops: I didnt have a clue how to do it. Hence the name Noob!! But im just fascinated by cars and gadgets, and like you all, i do something, and then feel like i want to take it to the next level, and challenge myself. Weather its a full blown engine transplant, or the "Max Power"style under arch LED kit i fitted when i thought it was cool back in the day. Its nice to stand back and look at what youve done, and be proud that youve done it yourself!

Things like the glove box light and temp clock are my kinda mod, id have a cheeky grin every time i opened the box and the light came on, and id be checking the temp clock when i dont even care how hot or cold it is outside!!! :lol:

Nice project! :thumbs:

PumaNoob said:
.....A little secret from me, i cant believe im telling you all this, i paid someone £30 about 7 years ago to fit my induction kit on my focus!! :oops: .....

Wow, I respect you more not less for that ... it's crazy how much you have learned in that time, for the tinkering & fettling you get up to now in your projects! :cool:

Could do with a polish as it happens... it's been pretty abused. When will people learn to take off their rings before handling their knobs?

Oops... I appear to have started at the wrong end of my list:

Proper S2 FRP seats in absolutely perfect condition:
Cloud2go%2010%20Mar%202012%2017:17.jpg

FRP inlet manifold:
Cloud2go%2010%20Mar%202012%2017:17.jpg

Untouched by feet FRP mats:
Cloud2go%2010%20Mar%202012%2017:22.jpg

Latest posts

Back