Ford Power Engine Start Button

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaNoob

Ive been asked by a few members, so thought id write up a guide because there are some out there that will blow the switch, and you will end up with this:

PICT0711.jpg

Its a low current circuit inside the ford power switch, so some parts cant take 12v. Here is a drawing ive made thats pretty self explainatory.

FordPowerButtonwiring.jpg

If you want the light to be on the whole time the key is in the ignition, then just wire pin 6 on the start button to the yellow ignition wire going to 87a on the relay. It will switch off when the engine is cranking, but then come straight back on as soon as the car has started.

If you just want the light on when the headlights are on, then wire pin 6 on the switch to your sidelight fuse.

Here it is fitted in the panel

IMG00400-20120302-1308.jpg

If you are fitting it into the lighter socket like me, but still need a power socket, you can use the earlier puma ashtray with the socket in it (contributed by madhilbilly17), but you MUST get the black ashtray casing too, as the older ashtray will not fit in the newer ashtray casing.

Any questions, just post and i or someone else will answer asap.

I just love the button, ever since i saw this video, i wanted one!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8[/youtube]

The button can be brought here for a decent price
http://www.part-box.com/product_info.php?products_id=17393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hes useless at actual rallying though, well when i say useless i mean compared to some of the top drivers.

Those videos are a million takes anyway you can see the skid marks of the previous attempts.

Its impressive on video though

Your not the 1st person I've heard say that! He does hit the wall at the start of that vid, but he controls that car a hell of a lot better then I could, so I take my hat off to the guy. He's entertaining if nothing else!

TBH most petrol heads with a few million pounds, a modicum of driving skill and the play time he has could achieve that level of car control.

Hence why hes shit at rallying as car control is only a small part of a good rally drivers skills.

Hi guys

I was looking at the stater button for my puma, but having a read on the below link it does not promising. Does anyone know how to fit one of these and if it works in a puma?

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Technology/FordComfortandConvenience?campaignid=ford-retail-generic&advertiserid=google&bannerid=ppc-ford-retail-generic-engine-start-button-phrase&searchid=ppc-ford-retail-generic-engine-start-button-phrase" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't want keyless entry personally. Far too easy to steal your car using a scanner to fool the car into thinking you've got the key.

In the grand scheme of things, of all the keyless entry cars on the market, I don't think the high tech crooks will be out to steal pumas!! :lol: it has been retro fitted before, although I've not heard of it being fitted to a puma. You can buy aftermarket kits, but they require you bypassing your factory immobiliser system, so if your car was to get stolen, you'd probably not be covered by your insurance, unless of course it was thatcham approved.

I'd have thought you still wire the button up as I have done, as that's basically only connected to the starter relay. I'm just not sure how it works with turning the car to ignition 2 state, as you probably wouldn't want the radio and heaters coming on all the time when you came near the car. I'd also not fancy the auto opening locks, you could never check if it was locked or not, because every time you go back to your car to check, it would open lol :lol:

Latest posts

Back