Sump Removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave100

Hi
I have recently purchased a 1.7 puma which i have found out has a massive oil leak you can see oil flowing out when engine is ticking over.
I have changed crankcase breather and oil filter as oil was running down filter,
but still leaking so im pretty certain the oil is leaking from the sump as you can see lots of grey sealant hanging out of the joints.
So i was wondering if i would be able to tackle this myself or would it be best to leave to a garage any ideas how much it will cost?
Is it easy to do is it a case of unbolting and resealing or is it more complex than this,is there a gasket available?
Many thanks
Dave

I believe it is a case of draining the oil... if it already hasn't drained... and literally unbolting, resealing and re-fitting.

Here is a sump gasket: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BGA-Automotive-Oil-Sump-Gasket-Seal-OP0330-/261026731400?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item3cc667d588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck with it.

Hi
Just an update i went to the car this morning and run the engine for half hour and the oil is only dripping out now when running as yesterday it was flowing out at a alarming rate. :grin:
It has a constant drip of the bottom of the oil filter nothing on top of the filter just drip from underneath and a small drip either from sump joint or from above.
so i have fitted new oil filter as i dont realy feel confident about removing sump as lots of bolts also cleaned out sealant from outside of joint and put some sealant to try and hold temporary i will allow to dry and see what happens.

have you used sealent on the oil filter??,only have to put a smear of oil on the rubber ring and tighten just more than hand tight, :eek:k:

Hi all
thanks for advice
no sealant on oil filter just a smear of oil
After further inspection and getting second opinion it seems to be leaking from the black crankcase breather box behind the inlet manifold and dropping down onto the oil filter,i did change the crankcase breather valve yesterday so i don't no if this has help slow the leak down.
Anyway the car will be going into the garage on tuesday so hopefully they can get it sorted and i can finally get to use my new car.

Back