W347 - Developments

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the car, love the alloys, the splitter, but that mesh... Its a No for me mate. :?

Everything else looks great :thumbs:

Brought a sportex 4-2-1 cheap off fleabay used, knew about the fair amount of rust it had, but even if I were buying it new I was planning on treating it myself so was very happy

Materials:

Round File
Wire Pipe Cleaner
100 and 300 Grit Sandpaper
White Spirit
Kurust
Silver Rustoleum Heat Spraypaint 650c

What it looked like out the box

8350897430_933b160c01_n.jpg

8349835873_3b61555353_n.jpg

8349836649_b6fa2059b5_n.jpg

After rubbing down the external metal and getting the flaky loose rust off at I looked at flowing the exhaust ports but also noticed a bad lump of welding at the flexy outlet which would of disputed gas flow so filed it down and smoothed it all through.

8350906798_e3110aab21_n.jpg

8349843515_8abd730932_n.jpg

8349845309_c3cb4ed946_n.jpg

Sanded and prep'd with white spirit ready for kurust

8350887164_1bd116b640.jpg

Kurust working

8350886596_943bb9a1f3.jpg

After Kurust

8350885428_712b074f08.jpg

Sprayed

8353540283_96c03d015c.jpg

8354598410_ae4cf8ccef.jpg

Also treated my oem backbox I picked up for £15 in the same way, it came with a oval chrome tip so I decided to fashioned my own 'Milltek bar'

8350796936_0b64f288b7_n.jpg

Both 4-2-1 and backbox finished

8353528265_c9530b04f5.jpg

8354590704_0f49740f0e_c.jpg

Looking great! Love this car. Good job mate! :cool:

Out of interest, seeing as you've had 2 different new sets of tyres, how do you rate them? I'm in the market for some tyres for road driving (will have spare wheels and tyres for track) and not sure what to go for? How do your Uniroyals compare to your previous Bridgestones?

Thanks.

Bridgestones were good, all-round good infact, but because of that a bit dull if you get me. Their dry grip was better than the rainsports but not significantly however the rainsports are sooo much better than the bridgestone in the moist/wet plus they are quieter and for me I have a lot more confidence in pushing them, even in the dry, I got the extra load rainsport 2's and the sidewalls are stronger too. If I had the choice again I'd definitely buy the uniroyals, however I hadn't tracked them but hadn't the bridgestone either, for track action the bridgestone are too down the middle I think and prob best to have something more targeted esp if you're going to a dedicated set. But I highly rate the uniroyals a forhe road, esp with the british weather.

Thanks mate. That's very handy. Yes, it is a road set I need now. Hoping to for a proper set of cut slicks for track but need road tyres first! I'll give the rain sports a look then.
Thanks.

Still haven't got round to grabbing a pic of the engine bay and splitter in the daylight anyway some other things..

Couple of pics of fully wrapped manifold

DSC_0617_zps10242ae3.jpg

DSC_0613_zps78432e35.jpg

and some red bucket seats I picked up today in kent off ebay for £40, they looked a 'tad' dusty lol but thought they'd clean up pretty nice, also picked up a couple of cobra subframes with sliding runners on Monday for £40 for them to go on.

subframes

DSC_0613_zpsdc90647a.jpg

Before a little hoover and wipe

DSC_0614_zpsa7ae228b.jpg

DSC_0615_zpsdd2e530b.jpg

and after

DSC_0624_zpse9a4b055.jpg

DSC_0629_zps651e583d.jpg

the one on the right's came up better, but did forget to clean the black felt bits on the left one. one of the knobs and bracket is off as in the before pic but doesn't affect the seat adjusting up and down at all.

I'm planning on a trip to steavies before rockingham to fit exhaust,seats,suspension,clutch.

More updates coming soon

Looks like you've done a really good job on the seats, they looked like they were ready for the skip! Just shows what a bit of elbow grease can do!!

PumaNoob said:
Looks like you've done a really good job on the seats, they looked like they were ready for the skip! Just shows what a bit of elbow grease can do!!

Cheers bud, and thanks again for sending us those pics, I was so happy/relieved when those mounts came up to buy, no difficulties now modding the existing ones :eek:k:

Glad you got it sorted in the end, the standard subframes arent ideal, they seat you really high, which is a major problem in a puma if you are quite tall. Looks like you got those for a really good price, i paid more then that for one!

Right collected everything I generally wanted in order to have the car running nicely for my first trackday coming this easter weekend.

Last thing I need to sort out is geting my flywheel lightened. I'm hoping steavie will stike gold here as my enquires have either fallen on deaf ears or whipped up a estimate running into the hundreds of hundreds :'(

Spare Flywheel

DSC_0686_zps25b7bd4d.jpg

Anyway my other gear -

Main things include

- 1.8 focus clutch,
- Puma slave,
- Ford L/H ford track rod ends,
- Ford front and rear top mounts and front mount bearings

DSC_0676_zpsb3e79b38.jpg

Ported 2.0 Mondeo si Throttle Body and puma 1.7 Maff (Cheers to Jacko, top bloke!)

DSC_0678_zps75a94499.jpg

SACHS shocks

DSC_0689_zps1bb33bdc.jpg

Few bits of trim sprayed

DSC_0685_zpsa8ea33af.jpg

Plain black strip and decals to make up Sunstip

DSC_0692_zps730bd1ee.jpg

just a little something to recognise the work

DSC_0693_zps33371c43.jpg

Looks really good, love the fact that you seem to do all the work in the kitchen, including the spraying :grin:

zinc2000 said:
Looks really good, love the fact that you seem to do all the work in the kitchen, including the spraying :grin:

.. and the front room, but I don't want you lot seeing what I'm watching on telly ,lol.

Although I improved the look of my bucket seats with a good cleam Ive always thought I could do a much better job of refurbishing them, so.. I got hold of a few dylon fabric pens (red/black) and sent a good hour and a half colouring all the faded red areas, and also the black pads, I also got hold of a red faux suede material coloured that with the dylon pen and patched up a hole in one of the bases, it not seamless but much better than the black spot it was before.

DSC_0687_zps46afe9f0.jpg

DSC_0685_zpsf7cde32a.jpg

DSC_0682_zps62b76934.jpg

DSC_0671_zps152f8c2e.jpg

DSC_0672_zps7b7cfc7f.jpg

DSC_0673_zpsc85f1b36.jpg

From this
DSC_0614_zpsa7ae228b.jpg

To this
DSC_0675_zps75cdfc62.jpg

SENATEpumA said:
Loving those seats... :cool:

cheers bud, I always mean to comment on your thread but forget too..

also just made up a couple of door number panels, don't particular need them but may come in handy, left blank of course and just think they'll look ace with the overall style of the car.

DSC_0672_zpsafbbcd18.jpg

this looks really well looked after then went rapidly downhill with the adition of loads of red interior trim(except the seats) and loads of chavvy exterior mods(stickers,red mesh and intake ) ...looks amazing before it looked like it had ram raided halfords :(

each to their own but smooth and clean wins hands down in my book

gav. said:
this looks really well looked after then went rapidly downhill with the adition of loads of red interior trim(except the seats) and loads of chavvy exterior mods(stickers,red mesh and intake ) ...looks amazing before it looked like it had ram raided halfords :(

each to their own but smooth and clean wins hands down in my book

For course your entitled to your opinion, and I can take things on the chin very well but this is a bit of a pointless post, pretty much everything installed on the car has an actual purpose, ok maybe not the grill (but big deal its just a grill at the end of the day) and a few decals (and these fit and suit the theme the car's going down).

I did say in my opening post of this thread that I'm looking into trackday and the progress has swayed towards going down that path. Projects do envolve and change and as stated I've used all genuine ford parts or quality uprated parts on the way

I don't regards my car chavy in anyway and nothing has been brought from Halfords.

Collected the Flywheel this morning and everything now at the garage getting fitted.. :happee:

IMAG0011_zps023c3a70.jpg

IMAG0012_zps74a96167.jpg

IMAG0013_zps4ec040e4.jpg

Having removed the pots from the back of the flywheel how are you going to get over the fact there is no way of the crank sensor taking a pickup from the flywheel?

Back