FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's safe to say 'built not bought' for this one :p

I've been away for a while so just had a good catch up, good work, so good to see your baby being re-born!

And...videos... :p

Ha ha, are you bored of the private vids ive been sending?? :lol:

Well, its finally back on the rd, passed its MOT yesterday, so its MOT'd and taxed for 12 months. I just need to build some miles up on the engine! It did its first 40 miles without much bother. There are a few issues i need to address. One loose ball joint, a bad connection on the water temp sensor, and a rhythmic knocking/grinding noise when turning hard left. Ball joint and water temp sensor shouln't be an issue, and im pretty sure the knocking noise is either outer or inner CV, so should be able to address that this weekend, fingers crossed.

Not much to report, I've only managed to put 320 miles on the engine so far so it's still limited to 3000rpm. I thought I'd clean a few bits up while I had the chance, so fitted new stainless braided hoses, and new hard pipes front and back. Also rebuilt and painted front calipers, & had rear calipers zinc coated and then I painted them, and cleaned up all the discs.

The engine doesn't feel much different, the boost seems to come on about 400rpm sooner, and the engine seems to be very smooth, it feels like I've traded a little of the revvyness for a little more torque. It's quite hard to tell at the moment because I've not driven it aggressively yet.

Fuel economy is surprisingly very good, although the fact that I've been forced to stay below 5psi and 3000rpm may have a lot to do with that !

PumaNoob said:
The engine doesn't feel much different, the boost seems to come on about 400rpm sooner, and the engine seems to be very smooth, it feels like I've traded a little of the revvyness for a little more torque. It's quite hard to tell at the moment because I've not driven it aggressively yet.

Fuel economy is surprisingly very good, although the fact that I've been forced to stay below 5psi and 3000rpm may have a lot to do with that !

Sounds good so far mate, how many miles are you doing ruuning it in a 1000 or so?

Yes mate, I think I'm going to limit it at 3000rpm until 500 miles, then limit it to 4000rpm after that, but only occasionally going past 3000rpm on light load.

Once I ran into (not literally, but you know what I mean) ralliart guys driving in three of their lancers (Tomi Mäkkinen was driving at the time). It was interesting what they were doing: they would accelerate quite hard, I'd say at 75-80 % of full throttle and then would back off and let the engine slow down the car. They were doing it in second gear for 4-5 times, then shifting up to third and again. After that agian back to second and so on… The choice of gears probably had a lot to do with speed limits on the road they were using, but it actually makes sense: first you are driving in 'one side' of engine, and then the other (as the engine slows down the car)….
But the point was that they didn't drive at steady pace, but constantly accelerating and deccelerating using engine only.

Yes that's the way to run an engine in properly, constant driving at one speed (like motorway driving) won't work. And engine braking is very good for bedding rings in. That's what I try and do, although it's probably annoying to other drivers when I keep speeding up and slowing down lol

Cibbie said:
Bet it feels good to have the beast back on the road rev limit or no rev limit! :)

Oh for sure, its just passed the 500 mile marker after a trip to Bedford Autodrome yesterday with some other members. It drove the 200 mile around trip faultlessly, except the positive battery cable breaking out the connector on the way home. Took 2 mins to fix but other then that i feel like im gaining confidence in it again, starting to push it a little more. The revs are getting turned up to 4000rpm today and an oil change, and hopefully wont be long until im back at full revs!

Its come a long way since ford fair last year!

PumaNoob said:
Cibbie said:
Bet it feels good to have the beast back on the road rev limit or no rev limit! :)

Oh for sure, its just passed the 500 mile marker after a trip to Bedford Autodrome yesterday with some other members. It drove the 200 mile around trip faultlessly, except the positive battery cable breaking out the connector on the way home. Took 2 mins to fix but other then that i feel like im gaining confidence in it again, starting to push it a little more. The revs are getting turned up to 4000rpm today and an oil change, and hopefully wont be long until im back at full revs!

Its come a long way since ford fair last year!
Are you going to Ford Fair this year? Would be nice to see your car in person

Ive not booked up yet because i wasnt sure if my car would be ready, but if tickets are still available ill be going!!

PumaNoob said:
Ive not booked up yet because i wasnt sure if my car would be ready, but if tickets are still available ill be going!!
Yeah, they are still available, You only have two weeks though for the payment deadline! (7th of June)
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=23455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok thanks mate, ill get that all booked up! One thing is for sure, i will NOT be going back on track at ford fair again!! ;p

Are you travelling over to go to ford fair??

PumaNoob said:
Ok thanks mate, ill get that all booked up! One thing is for sure, i will NOT be going back on track at ford fair again!! ;p

Are you travelling over to go to ford fair??
Yeah I am, Never been to Ford Fair/England before, actually never seen more than 2 Pumas at a time. So I can´t wait till the 3th of August :p

Good man, i look forward to meeting you. SO i assume youve never seen an FRP before then either? There will be some very nice models there, you need to see Alex with FRP 401, that thing is like it just came out the showroom! And Aaron Bentley and Simon (Blue3) also have very clean FRP's.

Will you drive your Puma over or are you flying? It would be awesome to have some European Pumas on the Project puma stand!!

Latest posts

Back