CherryV's Thunder

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few items arrived today....

Blow off valve
Turbocharger
Fuel rail adapter
Splitter stay supports
Shorter auxiliary drive belt which turned up as a Gates belt, so pleased with that.

Also got another project Puma sticker for the rear window... as someone nabbed the last one!

Arrived today....

Power boost valve/injection regulator
Genuine exhaust manifold gasket
Oil pressure gauge adapter
Silicone 90 deg. elbow x2

Now waiting for the cambelt kit and the manifold.

Also arrived were a refurbished set of ST150 calipers!

Gates cambelt kit and water pump arrived today.

I spent a bit of time this afternoon prepping the turbo ready for when the manifold arrives.
The turbo arrived fitted with this compressor housing...

D44B20ED-9720-40FA-BBCD-CC2840881031_zps4kabhk8g.jpg

I decided to put on the compressor housing from the other turbo, and turn the core round so the oil return was pointing directly downwards.

987784A4-463D-4DC2-B994-0C2C52838E53_zpsa5xjeqjl.jpg

The mounting points for the waste gates on each of the compressor housings were different.
The waste gate from the original turbo which opens at 5psi was too long to fit.
The waste gate from the new turbo fitted with a little tweaking. When I tested the waste gate with a foot pump, it opened at 10psi and is stamped with 10psi on the bottom of it.

So, a question to the wise..... Are the waste gate pressures different depending on whether the Saab was a 93, 95, 900 or 9000?

I may have trouble finding a waste gate the right pressure which is shaped correctly to fit, as now the turbo has been turned to an 'unnatural' orientation compared to standard.

I don't think it would be safe running on 10psi!

so the other one was straight? ive got one thats about 6psi and im sure its got a bend in it are sent you a pic monday if you like? if you think it would be any good to you you can have it.

I've just ordered:
Boost gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Fittings for Turbo oil feed

Still need to sort out:
Oil return - I know what I need, it's just finding it
AFR gauge & sensor - just a matter of crow baring the money out of my account
Connectors for fuel regulator - need to work out what I need for that
Pipe(s) for boost gauge and fuel regulator

I THINK that's all I need to get.

If anyone wants to be kind enough to throw over some ideas of the parts I need, I can see if I've missed anything. :lol:

The A/C pump was holding up the installation of the intercooler piping, so as the weather was quite nice I took the time to remove the auxiliary belt and fit the shorter one so I could remove the A/C pump:

View media item 4950I used the diagram posted by Luca87 to fit the belt.

I drew out the standard and new way of fitting the belt to double check everything turned round the right way, then checked it another four times just make sure.

A/C pump off:

View media item 4951
The pipes and sensor for the power steering were mounted to the A/C pump, so after turning the brackets round, I got it bolted to the holes left from the A/C pump:

View media item 4952
A big thank you for Luca87 for the information on what belt I needed. :eek:k:

Fittings for the turbo oil feed have been dispatched.

Today I've ordered:
Innovate AFR gauge and sensor
Heat wrap and steel ties
Silicone reducer to fit on the throttle body

I received an email telling me I've been refunded for the gauges as they were out of stock. Now I need to spend another three days looking for some different ones!

The silicone T-piece I got for the BOV months ago is the wrong size. The spout is 25mm but the BOV I've got is 35mm. Having trouble finding the right T-piece, unless I buy from China!

So, things are going forwards, but a lot slower than I'd like.

As there has been a few of us doing turbo conversions but nobody else has actually made some kind of list of all the parts they bought/used, I thought I would.

Please remember this is a budget build, but not scrimping on the more important parts but running on standard internals. So I don't need to hear that I've not bought a decomp plate, or changed the rod bolts!
If I want to go with more power, I'll just change the engine!

- LMS exhaust manifold with T25 flange
- Genuine Ford exhaust manifold gasket
- Saab 900 9-3 T25 turbocharger and exhaust down pipe

Oil feed:
- Mondeo Focus Puma Ka Fiesta Zetec 16v 1/4NPT oil pressure gauge adaptor MLR.ID
- AN-4 JIC flare to 1/8NPT straight hose fitting adaptor
- AN-4 straight fast flow hose fitting
- AN-4 stainless steel braided hose
- AN-4 straight fast flow hose fitting
- M12 metric (12mm) banjo eye to AN-4 JIC flare hose fitting adaptor

Oil return:
- 22mm brass tank connector

Fuelling:
- Power boost valve/injection regulator 1:1.7 ratio
- FSE fuel rail adaptor

Boost charge:
- Universal intercooler and pipes
- Universal atmospheric SSQV sequential race turbo dump blow off valve

Monitoring:
- Boost gauge
- Oil pressure gauge
- Water temperature gauge
- Innovate AFR wide band gauge and sensor

Other:
- Heat wrap and ties
- Additional silicone joiners and reducers
- Replacement hose clamps (the jubilee clips look a bit weak)

Still to get:
- Pipe for oil return
- Pipe for boost gauge
- VAC/boost pipe from power boost/fuel regulator to -> ?
- Fittings for power boost/fuel regulator to fuel rail
- Silicone T-piece for blow off valve (63mm with 35mm spout)
Exhaust section will be made up once manifold and turbo are fitted.

So, that's the list as far as I've worked out by reading Madhillbillys and PumaNoobs turbo conversion threads. Thanks to those guys for sharing the projects and all their knowledge!

Now, a couple of things I'm not sure about and would like a bit of help with....
* The power boost/fuel regulator has a pipe from the top which then connects to something. From what I've found, I think it connects to the throttle body?

* The power boost gauge has AN-6 connections. What parts do I need to connect these to the fuel return line?

* I'm using a oil pressure gauge adapter to get my oil feed from the oil pressure switch position, but where would I connect my oil pressure gauge? Should I 'T' in somewhere on the oil feed line to the turbo?

Roughly around £1,000.

Depending on how you lay the intercooler pipe work out, you could save on a few silicone fittings.
I did make my own flange for the manifold/turbo, but decided to buy a manifold ready made just for ease of fitting. If you can make your own, you could potentially knock around £250 off the total.

As for power, I don't know, but have a rough idea. I think PumaNoob will have a better idea!

your not using a decomp plate will the internals take that?

really interested in doing a conversion just dont know where to start lol

cars looking good btw

I'm only going up to 5psi boost pressure.
The decomp plate will allow higher boost pressure.

I didn't know where to start either.
Have a good read of other conversions to get an idea of what it involves, then go from there.

With a good bit of reading and research, it's not that hard to work out, although there are a couple of things I'm stuck on.

Arrived today...

Replacement hose clamps
Heat wrap and ties
Boost gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Water temperature gauge
AFR gauge and sensor

:thumbs:

Latest posts

Back