CherryV's Thunder

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

The splitters are good quality and finished off to a great standard. You won't regret buying one!

The few things I was unsure about have now been sorted out.
I was also given some good advice regarding my pipe work, which has saved me from potentially committing a monumental c**k up! Thanks PumaNoob!

Two pieces of good news today...

Firstly, I've solved the issue with the BOV as where it joins to the silicone T-piece it was 35mm, but I couldn't find a silicone T-piece that was 63mm for the intercooler pipe with a 35mm spout for the BOV.
Luckily, while trawling eBay, I found a replacement fitting that reduced to 25mm, which matches the T-piece I already have!
It cost me an extra £11, but I would have thrown more than that away buying a new BOV or buying loads of different bits of pipes and reducers to make it fit!

Secondly.... The turbo manifold arrived from LMS! :thumbs:

f2a3bad9f49eda2409e8e89cf535a6c0_zps2fe02d68.jpg

324c2a89956f6c60aeaa2809fc0fe549_zps3563e825.jpg

There's been no updates for a while due to me spending the last few weeks on a house move.

I'm off today to get the cambelt and water pump changed.
Hopefully while that's being done I'm doing rocker cover gasket, oil & filter, spark plugs and fuel filter.

I've got a juddering on pull away and possible input shaft issues so going to get those looked at too!

A good day today.

Cambelt, water pump, rocker cover gasket, oil, oil filter and spark plugs replaced.

It seems forum 'tradition' that anyone who has Tom working on their cars posts a picture of him working.

So, here we go...
7f5aae876b6be1aedc61ad9a0da1f99d_zps538ec5fc.jpg

New cambelt on...
6453fd1d39138aaae366f626db68f37d_zpsf88d94e1.jpg

Lower strut brace was also removed as it's in the way of the intercooler piping.
It's surprising how much difference the brace makes. The car is now a bit 'lively'!

Unfortunately I've got no major updates.

The car has been all over the road when driving at speed.
Today I got the wheel alignment/tracking corrected. The car now drives lovely.

I'm also now running on an FRP ECU.

Well, due to me getting a different car, this one is going.
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25851&p=322166#p322166

These are not definitive lists and I will make final decision on parts as and when I get to them.

I'm stripping out to keep:
Engine, radiator, heater matrix and running gear
Suspension and wheels
ECU and engine bay loom
Lights - front & rear
Battery and cabling used to move it to the boot
Intercooler and pipework
Speedo/dials
Indicator stalks
Top grille

I won't be keeping:
Interior - Thunder leather
Floor carpet (black)
Dashboard (black)
Body panels - boot (I have another spare), bonnet, bumpers and doors. Wings are crap.
Steering wheel
20mm spacers & bolts (Ford ones not billet)

So, if anyone wants anything I'm not keeping let me know and I'll see about a for sale thread.

Stripping the Puma commenced today...

Upper brace removed and just about everything disconnected:
image_zpsad2de069.jpg

Then it was gone:
image_zps3351da11.jpg

Ready for the gearbox, clutch, flywheel and exhaust to be removed:
image_zps01008cea.jpg

On it's stand ready for me to tinker with:
image_zps4d3a2fb6.jpg

A big thanks to Tom for his hard work. He's a trooper!
I can't just thank him for his help, as he did most of the work!

I'm keeping the engine etc. for a future project, so while the gearbox was still on the engine, I took the opportunity to test fit the turbo and manifold.
I'm really pleased as it fits and is angled right to clear the drive shaft. Not bad for a complete guess when I twisted the turbo core by eye.

I also picked up some old suspension parts to go with the spare wishbones I've got so I can get my coilovers and poly bushed wishbones off but keep the car rolling.
Just need to find a crappy rear beam so I can get my poly bushed one off and a set of wheels.
After then shes' ready for the scrappy.

I went down the garage this morning to strip more of the Puma and stumbled upon this....

image_zps40cb5b2a.jpg

Yes, that's the ground you can see through that gap.

When I last had it MOTd I had advisories for slight corrosion. It's amazing to see that around eight months later the same areas have rusted to the extent where they have virtually no structural strength at all.
The floor is all blown out and rotten straight through. I think I'm rather glad this Puma is getting scrapped.

Latest posts

Back