Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e46 coupe said:
Saraimostaza said:
Parksy87 said:
Brand new batteries in the fob the key fob is working fine as in the bulb works but the puma wont go into programming mode to detect the key in the first place.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. After changing batteries the FOB doesn´t open the car.
(Two keys infrared key, early 98 1.7i Puma).
I tried to reprogram the remote, but when changing the contact from position 0 to I, the led in the clock stays blinking the same way it does when the car is closed or when no key inthe contact. so it never enters the programming mode.
Maybe i didn´t understand the instructions, but i think the LED must stay on after a while, then i have to turn the key from I to 0 and start with the programming procedure in front of the car sensor.

I would thank any help.

Any body figure out how to get the Puma to go in programming mode??
Thanks for help
hello again.
To all the other older Puma owners( 2 buttons fobs), I couldn't get my fob to work, and that was an issue because the only key that started the car was opening only one door on the car.
I was able to get a second hand central locking module, and replace mine. As a result, once i tried the programming mode IT WORKED and the fob is actualy operating , and surprise surprise.... the boot lock is actualy opening the boot, and it didn't before.
So the method to programe your fob does work as long as your CL module is not faulty.....
GL

e46 coupe said:
hello again.
To all the other older Puma owners( 2 buttons fobs), I couldn't get my fob to work, and that was an issue because the only key that started the car was opening only one door on the car.
I was able to get a second hand central locking module, and replace mine. As a result, once i tried the programming mode IT WORKED and the fob is actualy operating , and surprise surprise.... the boot lock is actualy opening the boot, and it didn't before.
So the method to programe your fob does work as long as your CL module is not faulty.....
GL

Hello, good news indeed!!
I will start the hunt for a second hand CENTRAL LOCKING, ALARM & REMOTE MODULE...

See you!

I programmed a spare fob at the weekend and the original stopped working. When I reprogrammed that, the spare stopped working.
So, it would seem its only possible to have one fob programmed to the central locking at any one time.

3 button remote on a 2002

That doesn't sound right :?

I'm pretty sure I had two 3 button remotes programmed at once.

The second key isn't programmed to the ECU/immobiliser yet, so I used the original to do the 'switching' of the ignition and just pressed a button on the spare to program it. I wouldn't have thought doing it that way would make a difference as the ECU/immobiliser and the central locking are two separate systems.

Programming another key definitely cancelled the previously stored one.

I have the "master key" (non-remote, with red insert) and 3 x three-button remotes. All 4 start the car and all 3 remotes operate the central locking, hatch opening etc.
A maximum of 4 keys with radio frequency remote control can be programmed to each vehicle.
A maximum of 8 keys in total can be coded using 2 keys already coded to the vehicle.
If you have reached the maximum of 8 (someone may have previously coded other keys), you can make all other keys for the vehicle unusable (except for physical locking/unlocking) by "Coding erasure", except for the 2 coded keys used for erasure.
IIRC, there was also a setting used on, for example "hire cars", where further keys cannot be programmed using the normal method. This was to prevent people hiring a car, having a copy made and then going back later to steal it!

i have a similar problem to the person above. 2 x 2 button keys but i only seem to be able to program one at a time. is that normal. my problem was that the battery in one of them was getting a bit low so i decided to use the other key. i had to manually unlock the car because the key hadn't been programmed yet but this set the alarm off

Saraimostaza said:
e46 coupe said:
hello again.
GL

Hello, good news indeed!!
I will start the hunt for a second hand CENTRAL LOCKING, ALARM & REMOTE MODULE...

See you!

I can´t believe my bad luck, i purchased a new CL module and once fitted i try the programming procedure, but.... the same situation, what a shame.... when i move the key to position I nothing happens, i waited for 10, 20, 30 seconds the light in the clock assy blinks the same way that without the key inserted, so or i am a women with so bad luck to have two faulty CL modules or the problem is different.....
How can i check the CL mod. is ok??

Thanks in advance for your help

barkerlad83 said:
right i have just tried the 3 button method everything worked well got the fog light on held a button no second beep or light flash, then tried it again this time with just pressing the button once still no joy....any ideas?

Just an update as I found the solution to this old problem in a different thread.

To summarize: Three button fob, position 2 to 1 key turn method four times quickly puts fog light indicator on and beeps, but pressing remote buttons has no effect.

To quote new_puma:
"I tried programming the fob again and it worked for all buttons. The only thing I did different is I had the drivers door OPEN when programming, I'm not sure if this makes a difference but...it only worked whilst the door was open...Just for future reference if anyone comes across this."

This has just worked for me! Going through the steps for 3 button, method 2 was not working until I tried with the driver door open. Now my remote CL is working again for unlock, lock and boot.

In addition, if you like to learn by seeing someone else do something, I found this Youtube vid. Again, this is for the RC fob, 3 button:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hjw1QgZ6Do[/youtube]

just got myself a lovely puma , central locking works by key in door only, did the steps for re-prog .(the 1999 steps seem the one) ; flick the key 1-11, 4 times, hear the beep, fog light indicator stays on,but when I press fob buttons, it doesn't accept the fob(did it within 10-20 secs, no flashing hazard etc ) new fob battery, checked the little contacts -help!!!!http://www.projectpuma.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=51&t=39&sid=8229a660caa526665a275b3e93635495#

So I have a standard door key that starts the key. I want to buy a remote fob 2 button second hand on ebay. If I change the battery and can I then clone the key so that it starts the car? then program the central locking on it?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but seems more prudent than starting a new one!

I am having issues getting the system in to the re-programme mode. I have tried BOTH the 3 button methods quoted but the car wont go in to the programme mode to re-programme the buttons on the fob.

Just to be clear I am trying to re-programme the central locking buttons on the fob to perform their normal functions not recode a new key.

I have tried both switching from 0ff – 11 4 times within six seconds and then withdrawing the key & 1 – 11 4 times within 3 seconds finishing on position 1 and I get nothing at all....

The key blade works in both the doors and the ignition so I cant see its an issue with the key! I have no idea if the remote is functional or not, it has not worked since I got my new Puma but I have replaced the battery and checked the contacts in the fob, but surely it should make no odds to the car going in to the re-programme mode? If the key is dud then it just wont work when I try to re-programme the buttons? :?

The fob wouldn't stop the car going in to the programming mode.

My guess simplest first is that you're not turning the key quick enough (it might feel like you are but I wasn't the first time I tried) or send the module in the car has a fault.

Ok cheers Red.

Just wanted to confirm I am not being an idiot (although still a possibility!)

I have tried it slow and as fast as I can possibly turn the key, I am going to try and unplug the loom in footwell at the weekend to reset the sender unit and see if that works, If I can at least get the car in to the re-programme mode then I can suss out if the fob is dud or not...

Ordinarily I wouldnt be too fussed but the car is suffering from the common issue of the drivers door lock just rotating in the handle and Im really not feeling stripping down the door to fix it!!

CherryVimto said:
I programmed a spare fob at the weekend and the original stopped working. When I reprogrammed that, the spare stopped working.
So, it would seem its only possible to have one fob programmed to the central locking at any one time.

3 button remote on a 2002

I can confirm this. Same here. 2002. model

Latest posts

Back