Corley Turbo Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally got my oil return sorted!!

15s8vgy.jpg

i put the oil sump back together and sealed it so i am now waiting 24 hours for it to harden/cure then i will be filling the engine back up with oil and firing her up!

Stay tuned :)

spent all evening getting the car back together, fired her up and i had a severe oil look from my hose - oil cooler so i have stopped.

Its too dark now to look into this anymore so i have to wait untill tommorrow :( so close!

ok bit of a milestone achieved now!

I have ordered a new oil cooler and fitted it today as i managed to cross thread my old once hence the major oil leak the other day. I now have the car idling on my drive!!! - still a few bits to bolt back on such as bumper and lights etc.
I have now identified 2 small oil leaks and i will sort these out and tighten a few more connectors backup.

My aim is to try and drive the car tomorrow when i have sorted this out and have a little time.
If all goes well tomorrow i imagine i will be tuning/tweaking with my wide band/fuel regulator and other parts such as heat shields etc to make the car more drive able.

Will update tommorrow

She lives! I completed a test drive around town and i believe the oil leaks are under control for now :)

I have not got my wideband installed yet so i didn't want to put my foot down or go to high on the revs much but you can feel/hear around 2-3K revs the turbo noise and the car starts to launch forwards :) so awesome!

I reckon around Wednesday i will have my exhaust rewelded and my wideband installed so i can see whats happening with the air/fuel ratio and get some confidence in putting my foot down and really get to know the turbo. The exhaust noise at the moment is awesome with a few pops now and again - i will try get a video but not sure to upload lol.

Next on my list now is sorting out heat control - i am going to explore reusing the original cat heat shield to box in the turbo and protect other components.

Thanks again to everyone for help and inspiration. Although the cars running again i feel like this project is only now really starting!

congrats mate , has given me lots of inspiration to do mine, just keep up with the project and let us know how she goes

Amazing work!! Are you using a piggy back ecu at all??

I'm currently in the process of turboing my 1.7

at this point in time i am using standard ECU with fuel pressure regulator and wideband sensor to help me "tune"
depending on how i get on i may upgrade.

How's it coping? I take it your running a rising rate regulator?
Standard injectors?

Sorry to bombard questions bud. Really impressed with your car

no problem, its nice to be able to pass on some knowledge, i think the most impressive thing for me is i have entered this with limited mechanical knowledge or tools - Pumanoob can vouch for that :)

Here is the fuel regulator:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-FUEL-PRESSURE-REGULATOR-KIT-Gauge-Hose-BLUE-/191209487811?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c84f93dc3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have only completed a few small drives around town and it seems good - i wont be able to test the true performance until later this week when my wideband is fully installed - at this point i am using standard injectors. I wont be running massive boost or power to begin with as this was more about learning for me, but i am sure i will be upgrading pretty soon and get the power bug.

Same for me, I'm in my apprenticeship of mechanics and iv been toying with turbo for ages. Il be looking for low boost on a standard engine, but I was thinking of using the 'AEM FIC 6' piggy back to run the fuel and ignition

Well done for doing this yourself tho

thanks very much, another thing to add was i wanted to change as little as possible and not introduce to many variables - if something didnt work or the car didn't start i wouldn't know where to start.

Now that i have the car running again i will be adding/changing one thing at a time and if i get any issues its alot easier for me to fault find.

so just another update and uploading a few pics:

I have been using the car all week tuning the fuelling etc and making a few tweaks here and there. Mid week i had a major oil leak and discovered i was missing a washer/gasket on my oil feed :( this is now sorted and running smoothly.

Heres a quick pic of the new oil cooler - "stealth" compared to the silver one i had before.

34dl6gy.jpg

I have also raised my number plate upwards on the bumper so it doesn't block the intercooler:
r1emib.jpg

Im still adding heat shields/heat protection around the engine bay before i start going on longer drives.

More updates to come and hopefully a video soon!

not done an update in ages, quite alot of things have changed/progressed:

been on quite a few drives now still on standard ECU, i set up my wideband and boost gauge for safety, i cant really boost over 3.5/4K revs or i lean out :(

here s a few pics of my gauges:
fxwfw7.jpg

2ymd6ys.jpg

So anyway i have now opted to look at ECU options to get the most from the turbo and to see what the car can really do

i am going to run megasquirt purely for fueling and timing and keep standard ECU to take care of everything else - now just waiting for my additional air temp sensor and coolant sensor to arrive.
started wiring up all the parts
erhq9s.jpg

Messy shot of engine bay earlier today wires everywhere:

r73mms.jpg

Learnt quite alot already, hope to be able to start generating a map soon and drive about again
More updates to follow!

Looking good, I'm interested on how you get on with the ecu, also. How much was it and where from?

Latest posts

Back