FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your car looks super shiny in that pic at ford fair! steering wheel looks well made and a good idea to keep it in fitting with the std wheel,need videos i've been waiting over a year :) any idea's when you will be taking it to be dyno'd?

Ha ha sorry mate, there has been one big difference in that year, I've been training up a new mechanic, he's better then me now!!

I'll get it dyno'd when I get some time off work, hopefully soon!

How do you feel that the brake servo worked now you have had the run of the car over the last wee while?

I would consider doing this to my mk4 fiesta which has Fiesta st brakes front and back when it had originally 240mm front and drums back. It also has some kind of reducer on the brake master cylinder which I would do away with at the same time.

Thanks for your time.

Ally

P.s hats off to you. You have created a monster...... The car am talking about not your boy spinning a quarter drive ratchet near the car arrrggghhh............ :lol:

Ha ha, he isn't spinning it lol, he's pondering what mischief he can cause with it.

The servo hasn't made a massive difference, but it has made the brakes feel more instant. When I got out of my focus to drive my puma, I always felt like the brakes weren't working. Now they are equally as good low speed if not a tad sharper, but a whole different league better at high speed. I have another FRP at my disposal for the day so I'm going to try switching directly from one to the other and see if there is a noticeable difference. The issue before may have been down to a bad servo or one way valve.

Oh and that little restrictor is in the mondeo master cylinder too, I just left it in there!

I managed to get my wheel fitted, it makes the interior complete now!!

Loving the build so far. I have read this thread many many times because I love the dedication, time and effort you have put into this one single car - and look at the end result! I know I speak the minds of everyone who has read this thread; what a beauty. Your car is a credit to the effort you have put into it and a credit to your own skill too.

Any further updates on the car as it is now? I'm sure we are all dying to find out just how much BHP it makes now!

We have spoken a bit in the past year about turbo'ing my Puma, whether you remember or not is a different matter. Just an update to you and informing everyone else, I have decided to go with a 2.0 Zetec turbo conversion in my Puma. This will be happening over the last week of October through Lightning Motorsport. We are going to run a GT3076R turbo, Jenvey inlet plenum, the usual engine bits - cams, long rods and pistons - other special parts include a screamer pipe, the Mk1 RS gearbox, Brembo brake conversion and some other bits and bobs. Stay tuned in November for lots of pictures and videos of the build.

Errol, I look forward to seeing some more updates and progress on this build and hope to see you next year at FordFair!

Of course I remember you lol! That's not far of my spec mate, my Turbo is a GT3076r, but i hae a custom T28 turbine housing on it, equivalent or a T3 .63 housing. My theory was that the velocity from the smaller housing should spool the turbo up a little quicker, then with an external gate I should get the high end flow too.

I don't have any bhp figures yet, I've been a little busy with work but I should hopefully have things dialled in in a few weeks. My electronic boost controller won't let me get above 18psi at the moment so I'm waiting for some bits to modify the system to let me run a bit more. Then I'll be off to Pumabuild to get a dyno run, I'm going to guess around the same bhp figures as before, just over 400bhp, but more torque and a broader powerband. I've gone for less lift and duration on my inlet cam so low down torque should be up, but I'm hoping to tweak things with the VCT.

Hopefully I'll get some videos up soon, I have a cool new gadget to show off!

kevPUMAnl said:
he man the Puma looks great. i love the interior. did you make the center console your self?.
Thanks man, the centre console is just a standar focus RS item, I needed it because the cable shift machanism from the mondeo gear stick is a bit too big for the Puma console.

Sounds awesome mate, cannot wait to see this thing in the flesh at some point in the future! We will be running the .63 housing on ours too to try and spool it as quick as possible.

I've just started my project thread with a basic spec list on there. We're going to use the Emerald ECU to get 3 different maps to allow us to drive normally, a mediocre one and then a full balls out map - should be in the region of about 440 bhp. I have one question. What the f*cking hell is a Puma like to drive with 400bhp?! How do you put the power down? Have you got some trick diff setup going on, maybe a Gripper diff, or custom traction/launch control?

I'm like a child again, so excited for this project to begin and my son is the same, he gets to work on it too so lucky him!

Ha ha, it's hairy to say the least!! I just have a quaife ATB LSD in mine, when you plant it you can feel the thing trying it's best to put the power down, transferring the power from one side to the other. But because of the efficiency of my engine and the size of the turbo, it's not like a switch, where there's no power then all the power at once, the boost builds really slowly so it's really controllable. When I get a chance I'll post up some datalogs of boost vs RPM. The good thing with an electronic controller is that I can make the boost more progressive, & have the solenoid frequency adjusted by throttle position and RPM, and smooth transition from one frequency to the next, so it won't just go from 0psi to 20psi instantly.

With that kind of power you'll be quicker then me, you might have a heavier engine but the FRP is heavier then a standard puma so you will have a quick car there.

Yeah I bet! Really looking forward to having it done and being able to take it out on the road. We're going with the Quaife ATB too so hopefully that will hold up just fine. We may go with a Gripper diff in the early part of next year, we will have to see what the beast drives like. We might have to invest in a boost controller then, will talk to my mechanic and see what he recommends.

I think we won't be too far off of each other because you have lighter panels too, but we shall see if we're ever on a track together!

Mapping boost based on gear and engine load (MAP / TPS) is what really needed. No point in having all that torque in 1st or 2nd gear unless you like rebuilding gearboxes and driveshafts :)

Ditch the Quaife go for a proper plated diff.

I used to have a tran-x plated diff and torque steer was a lot more apparent with it, so I'll stick with my ATB! There is no simple way to lower torque automatically based on gear, I could mount a button on the steering wheel that will limit boost, but with a 14psi spring fitted, it's still going to spin the wheels.

There's an easier way to control things with a progressive power set up like mine. It's called "not pressing the accelerator so much when in 1st & second"! The same as a standard puma, if you plant it in 1st gear from a standing start, your likely to spin the wheels, so you just go 50% throttle or whatever it takes to stop it spinning. It's not hard to feel feedback from the rd in a puma so you can feel when you are about to break traction.

With any decent ECU you can set the diff / gearbox ratios and in conjunction with speed sensor and RPM the ECU can derive the gear quite easily. What about fitting a 8 psi spring ? Then the ECU boost control has a much greater range to work with.

The puma effectively has equal length driveshafts so has minimal torque steer, what car did you suffer torque steer with plated diff in - RS Turbo ?

A decent ECU will provide you with boost control, anti-lag, launch control / traction control - all of which will allow you to do full bore standing starts even with 400 BHP and protect the transmission :) You'll need all the help you can get especially when its damp or wet.

What are you using the car for ? Top speed runs at bruntingthorpe / drag strips ? track use ? road use ?

I already have ratios for the gears programmed into a custom file in the ECU for data logging, but there is always going to be an issue with doing it that way. When racing, the point of gear shift will be fairly consistent, but when driving normally, the change can vary a lot.

I think I calculated the 5th gear speed to be RPM/44.7. So around 2500rpm I'm doing near 56mph. With a fairly big turbo, I need all the help I can get with spool and response, so the last thing I need is torque restriction. But at 56mph I could still be in 2nd gear near redline, where torque restriction would really be needed (2nd gear goes up to 64mph at redline). So at 55mph I could potentially be in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th!

We need to remember I'm not McLaren or Ferrari :lol: I'm some dude who likes to tinker in his garage and see whet he can achieve with limited funds, knowledge, time, & tooling! I'm using a £300 ECU that I built myself, and am currently adapting and customising myself, it's never going to be able to do everything.

I currently have launch control, VCT control, boost control, knock sensing and auto retardand advance, aswell as the usual functions that other ECU's would have, but it doesn't have the capacity to do everything a higher end ECU does, and even if it did, the hardware would need modifications that I quite frankly can't be bothered to do lol.

Sure if I had unlimited time and budget (and skill) then I'd have it all singing an all dancing, I'd have auto boost control by gear, id have 4wd, I'd have traction control, id have independent rear suspension, I'd probably have a light weight V8 in there too, but at the end of the day I can't so I make the most of what I have.

I will use my car for whatever takes my fancy, I might do some drag racing one day, circuit racing the next, take my family shopping the next day, and go for a hoon the next, it's not built with one thing in mind and it's not the best at any one thing, it's just for a fun project & can do a little bit of everything.

At the end of the day, there aren't many factory cars that I can't beat in a straight line pull from a rolling start, And it has the bhp per tonne of a lambourghini Murchealago, it's faster then when I started, and it puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it, so it fulfills it's purpose, & I'm more then happy! :cool:

Latest posts

Back