2.1 Zetec Turbo - The Yella' Fella' (Videos and Dyno pg7)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RyanG said:
Ok mate good luck with the whole build and i hope it gets some track action :)
What power are you hoping for?

440bhp I believe Ryan don't think a torque figures been mentioned tho.

sounds like fun, will be an interesting build, its just mapping to be drivable rather than a dyno queen, to many mappers just wind up the boost to give high peak power figure, even though the average power across the usable rev range is low (compared to what it could be), and little thought given to the gear ratios.

RyanG said:
Ok mate good luck with the whole build and i hope it gets some track action :)
What power are you hoping for?

As stated above, 440bhp is the target power. Do you have any suggestions on what to do regarding the oil pump?

I'm sure it will get some track action next year some time, would like to see it along side your insane N/A puma and Errol's car too.

With regard to the mapping, the main aspects that this build has to be are drivable, reliable and show standard - the power is quite simply just a figure to aim for. The spec on this build should easily pull 500bhp with maybe 1 or 2 slight adjustments but I don't want anywhere near that. The car will have 3 different maps to switch between and it will more than likely spend the majority of its life on the low boost map, but should still chuck out around 320/330 bhp which is more than enough to have a good time!

I want the engine to be able to produce its power as efficiently as possible, another reason for the Jenvey plenum. Going with a full race set up on the manifold too so it can spool as quick as possible and have nice derivability too it. At the end of the day, it will be what it will be and this is my first project car and I want it to last for as long as possible. I want to be able to pass it on to my son in a few years too, when I get too old for it and he has some decent driving experience. I will just be happy with whatever end result we get and it should be able to keep up with about 90% of the cars on the roads anyway.

I thought there were billet gears available for the oil pump but i may be wrong, we have just dynoed a zetec turbo that gave 510bhp and that used an external oil pump which is a very good option rather then going dry sumped.

I understand your want for peak figures but you would be pushing the engine and turbo hard to make 500bhp, around 30psi of boost would be a must on your 30/76

In my opinion to build an engine like this just to make a peak figure then use it at 330bhp is pointless as you then have no need for the 500bhp turbo other then making the engine have a very small power band, sure you would be better having a more responsive 400odd bhp?

The engine that we will be using in our car has already been built, but will need a few changes to it. I will try and dig out the spec on it to see if it already has a billet oil pump or something similar, I can't quite remember properly. I will look into that external oil pump though.

Oh no, we won't be aiming for 500bhp, I don't want to stress the engine like that. As previously stated, the target power figure is 440bhp on high boost map. You've basically just answered your own question in your last paragraph because our aim is to have a nice responsive 440bhp car. Making power will not be an issue but we have built the engine to a high spec to ensure reliability, no expenses spared on this build. We're going to run it detuned so that it will be more responsive and enjoyable rather than having a peak power of 500bhp and like you say, a restrictive power band.

Ryan, do you have any suggestions which may cure my one worry - how to put the bloody power down? Seeing as the car is so light, I worry about putting the power on the road. I know the zebec engine is heavier than standard so that will have more weight over the front wheels which should in theory be better, but would you recommend any other additions to help find traction?

In my opinion your turbo choice is too big for a responsive 440bhp, on a well specced yb engine a 30/76 will make 550bhp, this is why i suggested a smaller more responsive turbo, that would possibly gain you 500rpm down the bottom.

The zetec engine isnt the most efficient engine so it always makes big torque figures, not the best in a fwd light puma lol the only thing you can really do is get big tyres on which you can with your planned s1600 kit :)
Running the back stiffer can help with front grip but ultimately your just gonna have to be very gentle with the throttle even on low boost. Another must to help torque steer is solid wishbone bushes.

Realisticly, I doubt we will even notice the extra 500rpm on the road. I enjoy my driving don't get me wrong but it's very rare will I be flat out on the throttle with redline changes. Another reason for going with the 30/76 is I want to keep boost down and not run a GT28 on ridiculously high boost all the time and also I want to keep engine bay temps down too as the Zetec engines dictate a lot of heat, or so I've been told.

I see, we plan on running some 18x8 wheels on 235 tires so that should help a lot surely. I was going to run the back stiffer anyway and also get front lower and rear strut braces to help tie it all together. Poly bushes are already on the list all round.

Turns out that the engine has standard oil pump on it already, looked at the external oil pump and it's around another £1k+ so it may be something we look at in the future. We aren't going to be running much boost or high revs either so should be okay.

A 30/71 would be my choice of turbo for your engine, and you wouldn't have to run stupid boost levels.
It would make it more drivable and less transient lag through gear changes.

Sounds like you have it pretty much worked out, good luck with the whole project.

Well, we haven't purchased the turbo yet so we may go down that route, will talk to Chris @ LMS and see what he recommends. Thanks for all your help Ryan, be good to see if we can put a face to a name at some of next years shows!

Thank you, please be sure to check back and drop some comments when we start and the build gets underway.

I look forward to being able to update it! Cannot wait till it's done, my first project car. I'm like a child :lol:

Do I go GT3076R turbo or GT3071R turbo as suggested by Ryan? Not been ordered yet but will be soon so need to make my mind up ASAP. I have planned to order the 30/76 and as the spec currently stands with Lightning Motorsport, that's what we will be ordering but it is all available for change still.

Is the extra 500rpm down low going to be worth it? What's the pro's and con's for each? Will I need to run a bit more boost on the 30/71?

Thanks guys.

I'm sure it is but too much money! Maybe down the line but I see no point changing from a GT to a GTX just yet.

On a different note, I really need some serious help with this issue. Decided we will be putting the S1600 bodykit and rear wing on the car, it needs it!! Is there anyone at all out there with any information regarding fitting of the kit or anything to help at all? Pictures of the process or somewhere where they can redirect me too, to gather more information? Been in conversation with Chris Berkbeck but sadly got cut off on the phone and it all spiralled downhill from there so will find out more from him tomorrow.

However, in the mean time is there anyone who can lend a helping hand?

Small update:

Not much to report on as of yet, but the car is now resting at Lightning Motorsport ready for Chris and Dan (my son) to start working on it tomorrow and for the rest of this week. Circumstances have changed and it will no longer be our aim to complete it within a week.

Focus RS gearbox has been purchased and now awaiting delivery :eek:k:

Decided on the GT3076R turbo so that will be purchased tomorrow morning, I believe from Owen Developments.

Lastly, I have decided to scrap the idea of the S1600 bodykit. It would have looked awesome but simply too much hassle and money and time involved with getting the suspension set up right and everything else sorted for the wheels to fit the arches. I have since decided to get a fibreglass FRP kit made up and then use Racing Puma parts and Gaz Coilovers to make it all fit. Works out easier and cheaper in the long run!

A question I have, will I need to modify the Puma knuckle to accept coilovers? Also, is there any difference between the Puma front knuckles and the Racing Puma front knuckles? Any help much appreciated.

This week is going to be very busy and a whole load of pictures will be coming your way for you all to feast your eyes on. The Yella Fella will be reborn!

The FRP has a modified standard knuckle as the knuckle has to have its strut angle modified by maching the strut opening to a diffrent angle, this in turn increases the bore of the opening.

GAZ do coilovers to suit the FRP knuckles, however in my opinion the FRP "uprated" RPJ dampers will be suited.

To increase the front track to FRP width you will need the following parts.

FRP Knuckles
FRP Wishbones
FRP Track Rods
Custom Driveshafts

Would it not be cheaper and less hassle to buy a cheap FRP and do the conversion on that?

Thanks for your information on that subject, Chris and I have spoken and decided on the necessary parts which we need to change on my full spec of the build.

We could buy an FRP, but why should we? We don't want an FRP. We bought a Milennium edition to be different and want to modify it accordingly to be even more different from the norm.

Well hello there Zinc, a fellow Milly owner! I apologise to keep raining on your parade however not for much longer!!

The build has begun! Project Yella' Fella' is underway (thinking about getting some custom 'Millennium Racing' badges/stickers made up too :cool: )

Constantly changing my mind on what the spec of the build should be but have now nailed it down and here goes. I have decided on a GTX2867R turbo, TiAL v-band housing, TiAL 38mm MV-S external wastegate and quite possibly the most beautiful exhaust manifold from Peron Automotive. Both have been ordered and so should be here soon.

So here she is:
IMG_0538_resize_zpsf234fb09.jpg

IMG_0540_resize_zps1fbeaf9a.jpg

IMG_0544_zpsfc7cbeae.jpg

The standard 1.7 engine all disconnected and ready to be dropped out and in the last picture, hurrah! No more N/A for this Puma!

IMG_0545_resize_zps2d8fbfa2.jpg

This engine will be up for sale in the near future, if anyone is interested now then you know what to do, drop me a PM.

IMG_0549_resize_zpsb4c5925f.jpg

Bye bye tiny brakes and...

IMG_0552_resize_zpsf395ae54.jpg

Hello big shiny brembo's!! These aren't actually mine discs and callipers, they are Chris'. Mine are going to be bell and rotor discs and yellow and black callipers with Ferodo DS2500 pads :-D

IMG_0555_resize_zps311279d5.jpg

The last picture with the standard body kit on, will not be sad to see this go as what will come next will be amazing!

IMG_0559_resize_zps924a2013.jpg

And here is the actual engine which will be going in the car, albeit with a few minor modifications which include a different exhaust manifold - being manufactured now by Peron Automotive, GTX2867R turbo, Jenvey inlet plenum, 70mm throttle body, Eagle long rods and some new cams - not sure on the spec, haven't been told. The engine is also going to be resprayed to suit the yellow and black theme.

IMG_0563_resize_zpsc70867e3.jpg

IMG_0566_resize_zps53d132e5.jpg

Those pistons! Forged JE Pistons in there, nice job.

IMG_0570_resize_zpsb9ff617f.jpg

IMG_0571_resize_zps70e0bc9f.jpg

I tried to capture the beauty of the net ports on the head of the engine but I couldn't do it justice. Stunning work done by Chris.

IMG_0572_resize_zps79893aa7.jpg

IMG_0576_resize_zps0be6b4d8.jpg

IMG_0578_resize_zps73e0dd13.jpg

IMG_0579_resize_zps96569972.jpg

IMG_0580_resize_zps70d1c499.jpg

IMG_0581_resize_zpsef046072.jpg

Began stripping the engine bay and got some before shots of the bay and the underside of the car. After...

IMG_0584_resize_zps056d375a.jpg

IMG_0587_resize_zps8ac6bc47.jpg

IMG_0590_resize_zpsc922d0f9.jpg

IMG_0591_resize_zpsae3da1e1.jpg

IMG_0597_resize_zpsfea6d80a.jpg

Look! It's all black! The rust was sanded back, treated, the sills and cavities had wax oil injection treatment and then the whole underside of the car undersealed. I know some areas haven't been covered as they were tricky to get to so no nasty comments about it not being a proper job thank you!!

IMG_0598_resize_zps11dff942.jpg

IMG_0602_resize_zps036da908.jpg

IMG_0604_resize_zpsce14fa7a.jpg

IMG_0605_resize_zps3d529880.jpg

Chris also sprayed up the heat shielding which came up a treat, now its all shiny and lovely :eek:k: Looks mint under there with the black under body, when all the little bits that need finishing off are done it will look even better. the fuel tank is also going to be prepped and sprayed silver to match too. That disgusting rear beam is also off to be shot blasted and powder coated black.

Finally then, a little teaser.

IMG_0589_resize_zps79873e99.jpg

This is a mock up of the engine, albeit using the actual block and gearbox which will end up in the car. Gearbox will be painted black too. The head is just a spare that was lying around for mock up purposes.

IMG_0607_resize_zpsf67685de.jpg

(sorry about the poor quality image :cry: )

IMG_0610_resize_zpsc1aad6b0.jpg

And that is how the yella fella sits now after 4 days of work, unfortunately my son will no longer be working on the car as his half term is over tomorrow, so back to school for him :lol: Will try and update as often as possible as when pictures and news come through from Chris. Comments welcome and please give any feedback and suggestions!

Thanks,

Dave

Latest posts

Back