How to remove the steering wheel

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have to say that maybe "I'm the lucky one", but... :evil: I went doing the same???!! thing; You would think the same, after unscrewing a bit extra linings and units not shown here, i took off the steering wheel to find an extra thing plate (distance) that goes between the metal part of the wheel and the plastic black thing that goes in between the wheel + plate and the column... the thin plate was screwed in with 3 bolts and once i wanted to put it on the new wheel - i saw there are no holes for the bolts!!!! :twisted: The process took me about 3 hrs with waiting after disconnecting the battery unit, and I just ended angry and putting everything back together as it was... done nothing, Now I have to find someone with the right tool to make me new "bores" to bolt the plate in with the existing bolts and do everything all over... I will put the picture showing the part, bolts and the difference between the original wheel and the one without holes and some steps that are definitely important and are not shown in pictures and explained here...
I may sound mad and I am, but I do see that there is no such plate on the wheel shown on the pictures before pulling it off if it was taken than and I didn't want to try to put it back without the thing in fear parts will get damaged, if nothing it does distance it for about 6-7mm and has oem Ford sign on it and was put that way in the factory!!!
Maybe, just maybe they took that part out in later versions but than they had to secure some thing the other way and I didn't want to risk it... Mine is 12/97 produced, so, I don't know..., I was mad, now I'm just disappointed and :-(

I'll put those extra pictures, parts and steps a.s.a.p. so someone else doesn't go over the same misery...

Can't figure out how to put pics directly on here, I've just managed to put everything int my album! so for now - who's interested can have a look...

Yep never seen that, I've seen the one of my old 99 T, my 00 FRP and a 01 replacement I picked up so it could be that it was on earlier ones. Worth watching out for I guess.

Had a good look on TIS. The only difference there is that cars build prior to 1999. have to allow 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery for the system to discharge to avoid the risk of blowing the airbag, whereas the later cars need only one minute. Not a single word or image about this plate…
Although, on the later steering wheel you can see the cast still alllows for the tapping into to secure that plate….?

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]329900[/post] Had a good look on TIS. The only difference there is that cars build prior to 1999. have to allow 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery for the system to discharge to avoid the risk of blowing the airbag, whereas the later cars need only one minute. Not a single word or image about this plate…
Although, on the later steering wheel you can see the cast still alllows for the tapping into to secure that plate….?

Does this mean that the airbag of a 2001 Fiesta/Puma like this link fit to my '97 Puma without the airbag light going on?
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/FORD-PUMA-1-7-2001-STEERING-WHEEL-AIRBAG-/182096141613?hash=item2a65c69d2d:g:yDYAAOSwFNZWwtJa

I'll see if I can get in touch with him.
The stupid thing is, I had a Fiesta for over 2 years and never thought about trying it out :roll:

Thread resurrection but thank you for this mate swapped my wheel over today for a second hand Momo one using a boss from DT.
Have to say the only pig was trying to get the airbag plug out of the clock spring as it refused to budge; looked like it should but without it coming out it wouldn't have fitted through the new boss. Had to cut it off in the end, will solder it back together with a defeat under the horn switch later, but all back together and spot on, took about 90 minutes end to end.

Just thought this as worth mentioning for anyone as stupid as I am lol

During the refitment of standard wheel make sure the black mechanism on the back sits over the steering lock so the red button is depressed.

Yup silly old me been scratching my head all day, don’t do a me, you’re smarter than that :lol: :oops:

H

Latest posts

Back