FRP Air Box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit a bit of a problem (see project xtc for pics), the 1.4 air box has a connector with two wires coming out that does not appear to be on the 1.7 air box anybody got any clues?
p.s sorry for posting this question in a couple of threads but it is relevant and I want to be sure that at least one of you more knowledgable preps sees it, so that I can get some help.
regards shane

think its an air sensor, maybe temp. pretty sure on the 1.7 its on the inlet manifold...

cheers jacko, my question now, do i drill a hole and hot glue it in to the 1.7 air box or try to figure out some other work around?
Think I will leave it till after i get back from france lol

so ive just finished building my FRP airbox mod...
So do I blank off the original inlet and just leave the new 70mm pipe for the inlet or do I leave the original open aswell?????

Have it sorted....
Thanks anyway

Wild E. Coyote said:
I think the other port should be left open in case you run into some water; there is escape route for the water instead of forcing it in the engine
that makes sense...

Hi folks, sorry, so the hole around the side of the air box, does the elbow go back on this, obviously with the odd shaped piece removed??.
May just be me not getting it :) but what was the blanking off on the elbow referring to??, the small hole but not the larger one?.
Cheers, Jim.

that airbox resonator... well:
Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.

This makes a lot of sense.
I assume having an intake plenum like the FRP makes the resonator do nothing, removed by Tickford as part of the engine mods?
Paul

I've just smashed the resonator out of my 1.7 airbox, much more room now ! And when the box is in place there's a pipe that goes into the right hand side, then runs above the wheel arch lining and past the coil spring into the bulkhead area, I put a cold air feed pipe on there and ran it straight to the lower grille on the bumper so.it sits next to the rad but will have more air straight to it. Is that where the box draws cold air in as I can't see any other openings that it could draw air from.

Have had the mod done a while now but it’s become more prevalent in the recent floods that the original input hole was allowing water into the box via the wheel well and making her splutter a bit. Karl also had this problem. Even with arch liners in place. Had a look and there is actually a small drainage hole just inside it anyway so I have chosen to blank the original input off as it still has means for drainage.
PS. A Pringles lid fits snugly with a bit of hot glue to secure :wink:

H

Having looked at the standard system, I would say the primary reason for routing the intake inside the left hand wheel arch is to provide a 'good' NVH - nice intake roar for driver.

This would be most prevalent on LHD cars, which were (at a guess) 50% of sales. Also, I would be willing to bet the press launch for the Puma was somewhere sunny and overseas, with LHD cars. Journos would have driven these and waxed lyrical about the sporty intake noise (along with all the other Puma attributes).

Meanwhile the priority for Tickford was to get engine output up, so they would have been searching for any possible gains. The FRP cold air intake may have been worth a BHP or two, especially because of the lower pressure drop from less bends/obstructions in the intake.

Hello!

Looking for the FRP resonator hose which goes into one of the air tube in the airbox. Does anyone have an item? The short and the long one.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back