Bleeding the Clutch

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubz

hi guys, i have got my engine all fitted and plugged in now, just waiting for my ecu.

I tried to bleed the clutch today, and im not sure if i was doing it right, but nothing has changed in the pedal :(

I turned the bleed nipple about a 1/4 turn then had someone press the pedal 4-5 times, tighten the nipple up , loosened it again, pressed clutch a few times, and repeated it 6 or 7 times. Not sure if its supposed to be quick or be a 20minute thing to do, as iv never done this before.

Is that the right process ?

Hi Chubz,
The clutch is a pig to bleed.

Firstly your method is wrong. You pump up the pedal, THEN open the nipple, close and repeat.
But..

When you pump up the brakes to bleed them the pads grip the discs and the pressure builds in the lines. (which then ejects the crappy fluid)
When you do the same with a clutch there is no back pressure as the clutch just disengages and re engages. so you dont build any pressure up.

The only way I have got a decent pedal is using a `Gunson` type pressure bleeder.
It helps to give the pedal a few pumps while its flowing to help it get the last of the air out.

The beauty of these things is that it makes it truly a one man job.
They work great on the brakes too!

I hope this helps, Stu..

I did think it was wrong, but i had no wifi where i was so i had to chance it haha... Ill give that a go in the morning thanks Stu :)

If all fails, i will probably invest in one of those eezibleed kits.

Tried the correct method, dont know how many times i was supposed to do it, but after 5 or 6 times there was no change :(

My pedal still goes to the floor with ease, and i dont have any money for an eezibleed kit.

ANybody give me any pointers? read all the threads i can find via google but none have helped :(

Yeah, don't 'pump' the pedal if the bleed nipple is open, that'll just suck air into the system. In fact don't pump the damn thing at all.

Your mate opens the nipple, you push gently to the floor keep it there until your mate closes the nipple.
Release pedal, then repeat.

This is same for clutch and/or brakes.

That's how I've done it for the last 30+ years and never had a problem once ;o)

oh...and make sure there's enough fluid in the filler bottle ;)

yeah i read not to pump it somewhere. may have been a thread on here.

Yippieekiay - i will go and give that a go now...Thanks... i was probably doing it wrong.... gonna take the laptop with me with this page up, so i know im doing it right ha ( no wifi round my garage :( ) Theres loads of fluid in there, infact it hasnt gone down after all my faffing about lol, to be fair, not much came out, some air and bubbles, thats about it... and the clutch felt the same, so i left it.

Stu- im in Watford Hertfordshire mate, always seem to be miles away from anyone haha :)

how long should the niplet stay open for ? probably a silly question, but worth an ask anyway :)

i managed on my own no problem on a few occasions

attach a tight fitting clear tube to the nipple and put into a jar with the end submerged in some fluid, open the nipple and it will start to flow down the tube,

give the pedal about 5 slow pumps and check the tube for air bubbles if its all fluid no bubbles your done and can nip up the nipple.

THE IMPORTANT BIT IS to have the fluid level in the cylinder right to the top all the time! and keeping topping up as the its easy the drain the fluid out the rear half of the resivior where it feeds the slave cylinder.

I cheated and used a Gunson Easy bleed. Open the nipple, wait for bubbles to stop close the nipple. Took longer to set up than actually bleed. Great bit of kit!

I didnt get round to it yesterday, so ill attempt it today now iv failed my theory.. for the 2nd time :( haha...... have to go get some fluid first. then wait for a hand and then ill get on it and hopefully report back with a functional clutch

Thanks for your help everyone... my clutch now operates nicely.. i see what is meant by people saying 'its a bit softer/lighter'

took a good 20mins or so, but the main thing is... It works! :)

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back