Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELP please guys.
I have brought a 1999 Puma 1.7 and it only has the one key. The key is a 3 button remote.
There was only the one key with the car. It works fine locking and unlocking the car when I use it manually, however when pressing the buttons they do not operate the central locking. I have had the key tested by a ford dealer and they say there is no signal from the remote.
I take it therefore that I need a new remote part. If I purchase a remote part from ebay and change the blades will this work? as I am concerned that that it will no longer work because of the chip inside.
Thanks

You will need to swap the blade and the transponder chip bit... see here for more info:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23272

there is a link on that page that shows you with pics what bit to look for and what to do...

as others say on there don't cut the rubber (as i initially say in the link), i have tried the other method (posted by ian at the bottom) and it works just as well.

I think I cut it out when I did my flip key, sounds a lot like I didn't need to :lol:

But as above they do need to be swapped as the one in your existing key matches your immobiliser.

Yer I cut mine out of my old one too, but I managed to slip it in the new one without cutting... Think it depends on how tight the rubber bit is...

After the swap don't forget to program it again for the remote locking to work :)

Hi everybody,
I have ford puma 1.6 with two button ir key fob.last week my key stopped working and when i opend the doors manually with key the alarm shouts.then i search on websites and i found to reprogramming the key and was sucessfully done.but from today it again make same problem key fob stop working and when i try to reprogramming the programming mode is not activating (the clock light carrying on flashing,not stop flashing) and more over the luggage boot is also locked not open even with the key is there any link between the boot and alarm ??
And can anybody tell me why my programming mode is not activated and why i get the problem again?? Whats wrong ?? Pleaase help me to fix it

Maybe you aren't doing it fast enough, you should be able to get it in programming mode even if your key is broken.

The boot shouldn't be related, the key should just open it. There have been numerous times this hasn't happened for people as the cars have got older and there's ways to open the boot from the side to investigate the lock issues.

hey,thanx both of you i tried it today morning and the problem is fixed.yesterday when i turn the key from 0-1 the PATS light was not turning on continously to set up mode and today it works i dont know what happend but i like the puma alot it is great car as for price it is like diamond for the cost of silver .amazing pick up and gear shift ..anyway thanx guys will ask again if something goes wrong to my queen ☺️

Its already been said, but worth saying again.....

Excellent guide!!!!!! Thank you!!

Hi,
I reprogrammed my key a few weeks back using this guide. Worked a treat. I wonder how much a Ford dealer or vehicle electrician would charge for the few minuets it takes to do the key reprogram.

Regards,
Richard.

Just a quick note. Did method 2 for my three button fob bought from eBay. . Worked fine for a year but suddenly stopped working. Replaced the battery but stilL gubbed. Checked the connections, pulled up the one with a small plastic tab at the back and now works fine without any reprogramming. Just FYI!

Tried all these methods on my father-in-laws Puma. None of them worked.
Tried a spare key, that didn't work.
Spoke to Ford, could have bought another Puma for less money than they wanted to look at it.

New batteries in all keys concerned.
'programming mode' entered correctly every time.
Fob still doesn't work.

#flummoxed

Yes, I used a hashtag... That's how flummoxed I am :?

Robyorks

I have a two button IR remote, if you have that too...
Press the upper button (unlock) and hold it while aiming to IR.
Then, while holding the unlock (the upper button, the one close to the key), just press the unlock 4-5 times :)

should work :D

Latest posts

Back