Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi i have a Ford Puma Thunder 1.7 2002 and i have tried to reprogramme my 3 button key fob and it just wont work. i replaced the battery and all the contacts are fine. i tried your 1st meathod and nothing happend at all so i tried your second meathod 1999. position 11 back to position 1, 4 times back to 1 and i got the bleep and the rear fog light switch stayed on :grin:. I then pressed one of the fob buttons and ther should have been second bleep and flashing indicators but nothing happend :?: appart from the rear fog light swith went off and i still could not open ths door using the key fob buttons :| could anyone please help ive been at it for 2 days now :cry: and am getting desperate any advice would be much appreciated.

Maybe the circuitry is damaged, over time we've seen them fail due to dry cracked solder etc.

An easy way to test this is to either borrow another to test whether you can program it to open your doors or test your in another car. (Assuming you aren't an electronic engineer able to asses the board)

Hi people. Old thread, but hoping for some help.

My key is a 2 button on a 1999 1.7.

Although I have change the batteries, it still won't lock or unlock, I have to use the key. The light comes on for a second, doesn't stay on.

I have tried putting the key in positon 1, leaving it until the red light by the clock stays on. Then, press the lock button, and press unlock 4 times whilst still keeping the lock pressed. All done whilst pointing it at the sensor.

Any ideas please? Is the lock button the single tirangle, and the unlcok double?

Cheers,

Steve.

IIRC, the single arrow is unlock and the double arrow is lock/deadlock.
http://www.lifestylefordparts.co.uk/article/show/17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ah cheers buddy, may have been using the wrong buttons lol Would make sense that the 2 arrows denotes lock and deadlock I suppose.

Too cold to go out there now will try agan tomorrow and post on here how it goes.

Cheers,

Steve.

no way... all keys, no matter which one, has a transmitter... a little coil pack in the key, that needs to be programmed :)

mihalyn90 said:
no way... all keys, no matter which one, has a transmitter... a little coil pack in the key, that needs to be programmed :)

Ah ok, ta.

Mine won't program then :-(

Ha yeah :)

Is the coil pack the small glass tube, within a red plastic holder? Should it be attached to anything at all?

Cheers,

Steve.

Done it!!!

Bought a new key, and used the following link, which was on an earlier page of this thread and it all works now. Cheers muchly people :)

http://www.lifestylefordparts.co.uk/article/show/17

My one and only key fob has died! Made even more annoying by the fact I cant unlock it manually on the drivers side!

Its a 3 button radio frequency one, changed the battery and tried to reprogramme it with no luck :-(

Other than an expensive trip to the dealer, does any have any advice?

[ref]Major Malfunction[/ref], have you checked that post battery replacement that the contacts are correctly touching the battery?

Else you can get a second hand button part and clip you key part in to it, swap the transponder over, reprogram it and away you go.

red said:
[post]347927[/post] [ref]Major Malfunction[/ref], have you checked that post battery replacement that the contacts are correctly touching the battery?

Else you can get a second hand button part and clip you key part in to it, swap the transponder over, reprogram it and away you go.
Thanks Red! Seems obvious now but as you say the RC circuit board is seperate to the transponder and key blade. So I bought a second hand £6 key from ebay, swopped the circuit board side, followed the steps at the beginning of this thread, and voila...a working key! :grin:

Cherie said:
[post]129[/post] Difficulty: 1/5

Time: 10 mins

Tools: N/A

Parts: N/A

Three Button Remote

1. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to position II and back to 0 four times quickly but steadily, but must be within 6 seconds)
2. When you remove the key the LED on the clock or the rear fog light switch (bizarre, but there you go) should light up constantly.
3. Within 20 seconds press any key on the remote that you want to program.
4. The LED should flash now to indicate that the programming was successful.
5. To end the programming mode wait 20 seconds or switch the ignition on.

Method 2 - Three Button Remote 1999MY (Tested)

1. Insert the key into ignition.
2. Turn the key to position II and back to position I - 4 times in quick succession (within 3 seconds)
You should be end up at position I
3. You should hear a beep and the rear fog light switch will illuminate
4. You now have around 10-20 seconds to press any key on the fob
5. You will hear a second beep and the indicators will flash (as if you've hit the hazard light switch briefly) to confirm your key press has been registered.
6. Wait for the rear fog light switch to go off.
7. You should now be able to lock/unlock/open the boot.
8. Get out of the car shut the door and try it!

Difficulty: 1/5 as long as you can follow instructions.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but any ideas which process I'd need for my 2002 Thunder? Just changed batteries on my Key and it's still not unlocking via remote.

indeed interesting question :) try method 1... if does not work try method two... if still doesn't work...
post #2:
I've tried all that, and it still won't work!

Sometimes, a failed attempt at programming the key can scramble something in the electrics.
1. Open the Drivers Door
2. Loosen off the Rubber Lining in the Front Bottom Corner
3. Pull the Carpet Away in that Corner
4. Disconnect the wiring block for about 30 seconds
5. Reconnect and try again.

Also worth checking is the connections within the remote i.e the 2 metal contacts to the battery.

if still doesn't work... something is not right...

Latest posts

Back