Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeT66 said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but any ideas which process I'd need for my 2002 Thunder? Just changed batteries on my Key and it's still not unlocking via remote.

A 2002 Puma will have the 3 button remote.

There's a lot of good information in this post thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.

I have a 98 Puma 1.7 which is in pretty poor condition to be honest but its such a great drive I want to keep it going as long as I can. I've owned it for about 6 years and have been putting up with the following intermittent faults which I feel maybe related.

It has a single 2 button IR remote which seems to work ok as its light flashes when I press either of the buttons. It wont unlock the central locking by remote however but works ok in all the locks manually so I suspect that it needs to be reprogrammed. I have tried the 2 button method above but I cant get the car to go into re-programming mode. The light near the clock continues to blink in the normal fashion as when the ignition is off.

Possibly related to this, the car has the following other symptoms.
Occasionally the light near the clock and the yellow light on the dash to show that a door is open stays on permanently when the engine is running.
Occasionally all the external indicator lights (but not the green indicator light on the dash) come on and stay on regardless of whether the engine is running or the car is locked up. I have replaced the indicator relay and sprayed electrolube in to the multifunction stalks to try and clean things up but the fault persists. Next time this happens I will disconnect the stalks to see if the fault is in there or in the rest of the system.
Pressing the boot lock does not open the boot I can only open the boot manually with the key. Using the key in either door operates the central locking on the other door in the correct manner.

I think I might have a fault with the Central locking module (where is this located on the car?), or possibly with the alarm. As I only have one key I'm worried that if I disturb some of these components that the immobiliser may loose its codes and then I''l be up the creek...

Any help gratefully received!

open door...
get in...
key in ignition and rotate to position one... wait around 10 seconds... light should stay on... pres I and hold till red light on remote flashes... keep it pressed... and press II 4-5 times, and at last press, release both together... should flash on remote and on dash too... if not, try again :)

98 here too...

Thanks with the key in position 1 the light continues to blink the same as at position 0...

no way... i told you wait around 10 seconds... it blinks at first... ahh these juniors... they have no patience :D

open door...
get in...
shut the door...

wait a bit 10-20 seconds...

put in the key and turn to position 1... wait.... should work...

o jeez i'll make a video...

I'm going to try this method on my 2000 puma. Timpsons cleaned out the battery area inside and said I could reprogramming it so from these comments it seems fairly straightforward! I'll post my success/failure

Mine won't enter programming mode :(
Ir one.
I turn the key to position 1 and it will not stay lit

went again to test it out and now it entered the programming mode, and managed to program the 2 key remote.
it is working now.
temperamental car, but i love it to bits :lol:

Hi,

Thanks so much. May I ask: Can I configure two different remotes for central locking?

BTW contrary to what Ford told me, I was perfectly able to configure an (original Ford) modern retractable remote for CL. Problem is now they have configured a normal Puma (round FOB) and the long modern remote doesn't work.

Thanks.

You should be able to program 2 remotes, from memory you just do them both at the same time?

I got e cheap 3button fob for my "new" 2001 Puma as suggested by Red and it was easily programmed with Method 2 :)
Now the questions:
1- From what distance approx. should it be operative? Cause in my case is not really much (maybe the battery is shitty or semi-exhausted?
2- Do you guys get any visual (lights flash) or audio (chirp chirp) feedback from the car when open/closing doors remotely? Because I don't and it'd be nice to have...

1. It's variable but I used to resort to holding it on my head if I was further away from the car which gave it a bit better range (if you have not tried this then it sounds a bit weird but it works)

2. If you press the lock button twice it should deadlock (i.e. can't be opened form the inside) and the indicators should flash for this. No flash for 1 press or unlock. No audible feedback unless it has been custom installed (has been done here by maybe only 1 person)

red said:
I used to resort to holding it on my head if I was further away from the car
1- Aha "matador" style, it works indeed :lol:
I changed anyway the battery and improved a lot; however at first I lost any functionality as happened to others on this thread, weirdly enough the attempts to re-program seemed successful (I got hazard light+audio confirmation) so I didn't suspect the problem to be on the battery side, but anyway I put some folded aluminium paper between the battery and the top connector to ensure good contact and voila!
2- Indeed double press flashes indicating deadlock, I'll live with that :)
Thanks Red!

Hi there
So today I’m having that exact problem, already changed battery, tried reprogramming the key, blinked 5 times and still no unlocking or locking. Another problem besides that I that I can lock manually in both doors, but to unlock only in passenger door, driver’s side doesn’t unlock so it’s a bit frustrating having to go every time to the other side just to unlock the car.....
It’s a 1.7VCT from 97, 2 button fob key and works both in doors and ignition and also have the spare regular key.
Already checked the fuse box inside the car and the central locking fuse is good.

Hopefully someone can tell me what’s going on and how to solve it.

Thank you

I don't know much about the 2 button system as I never had it but hopefully you can get it sorted.

Hi, We just bought a puma a couple of month ago for my wife. I am so happy, that I found this site, as there is plenty of information available on it.
I swapped the central locking modul with a remote control one. I managed to get the car to the programming mode. When I pressed a button on the fob, there was a beep, the fog light led blinked. After the foglight led turned off, the car does not do anything when I press any button on the fob. I used the same fob for my focus, so the fob is ok. The central lock works when I use the handles or the key manually. Any ideas would help
thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back