FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The head was untouched which I'm happy about, I feared the valve seats might be damaged, and valve stems bent, but all checked over and new valves are seating perfectly!

There are some markings on piston 2, but I should be able to polish most of that out, as long as there are no cracks or burr's on it they should be fine.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow of the piston.

Ha ha that's the best way to do it, at least you know the limits of the components! Although it could turn out to be an expensive way to do it if the piston turns out to be fractured when I get it x-rayed!

Hi Erroll
Well done, after our talk at Silverstone I hope that's less than 32 valves this year, they're not cheap! Good luck for the new year and good to see you pushing the boundaries with your own work.
Barry

Sorry there have been no updates in a while, I've been a little busy. Yes mate, it's had quite a few changes since I last posted :-D

Firstly I've removed the VCT, the double valve springs made it too jerky trying to find its correct position. So I've swapped out the cams to cosworth cams. I got that running, and remapped it, then got restless and wanted to do more tinkering :D I found a lot better specc'd ECU for a really good price, so I rummaged in the garage for spares I could sell to afford it. My garage is like alladins cave so soon found enough :lol:

So I now have fully sequential injection, and coil on plug. It still needs properly mapping, but the main reason was the boost by gear feature, which I'm hoping will allow me to put the power down better in the first 3 gears. I can also try boost by speed that might help.

Here's my engine bay at the moment (nothing special, just shows the coil on plug)

And finally here's a virtual dash I made, maybe over did it a touch with the ford racing logos :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOzu7JOQt-U[/youtube]

Oh wow, nice work there Errol :grin: :thumbs:

I'm also trying to find stuff to sell... not come up with much since I sold a reasonable amount last Autumn to fund the bits I was doing then!

So we took a trip down to castle combe to RS day, and as I was driving, there was too much heat under the bay. I opened the bonnet and the bulkhead was smouldering :eek: I noticed a few black sooty patches, so I guessed there was an exhaust leak.

This is what I found when I took the manifold off :-(

That was my last resort for turbo gaskets, it was an updated cometic copper gasket, so the only option now is a V-band housing. But its been difficult trying to get a V-band housing for my turbo, and even more difficult getting the mating flanges for the manifold and the downpipe. The Tial housing looks the best option, but getting one in time for ford fair along with flanges is looking impossible.

Then to add to the task, there is a huge crack in the manifold where the external wastegate outlet is :-(

If you look on the left, there is a crack, it goes rfrom the left side, across the top of the weld, then continues right of the weld. And the cherry on top is that the V-band flange would be too narrow to fit in place of the T25 flange. So with just a week to go until ford fair, I have to rebuild my manifold to take a V-band, get a V-band turbine housing, get V-band flanges, rebuild my downpipe, and get it all fitted in 6 days, while doing an 8-6 dayjob and looking after my son in the meantime :lol:

So unfortunately, the chances of me making it to ford fair this year are slim to none! :oops:

Ouch :-(

Is there any way you can't repair and rebuild as was, just for Ford Fair? Then re-do with the V-bands after?

I've already chopped up the manifold, dismantled the turbo, and chopped up the downpipe.

Because the manifold and turbo are such a nightmare to try and get to, it's too much hassle to bodge it temporarily for 1 day, I'd rather try and get it done properly and right. It took me 5 hours to get the damn turbo and manifold out, and it would take the same to put it back in.

I have to remove the wishbone bolts to get the lower strut off, to allow me to get the intercooler pipes off, I have to remove the intercooler pipe from the throttle body and the induction and air box so I can get to the turbo water pipes to remove them. I have to remove the hub bolt then drain the gearbox oil so I can remove the drivers side shaft to get to the oil return. Then remove the rear engine mount and drivers side mount so I can Move the engine forward to get the manifold, turbo, and half down pipe out from the bay. It's an absolute nightmare :| so the thought of bodging it up, doing all that again in reverse, then having to take it all out again when the v-band parts come is a little deflating :-(

There is a chance I could get it done, if the planets align correctly, and I'm not required to do any over time during the week, I could get it done. I still have all Saturday to get it done, providing I can get all the parts delivered on time, & I don't run out of welding gas or wire.

Wow, that is is epic!

I can help with any welding if you like, Errol? I would be able to do it this week easy, but at a guess you would need to post me the stuff and I'll return it to you? Just a thought, might be more hassle for you. Not sure if that would speed it up?

:grin: That's such a kind offer Ben, thanks a lot, but the welding shouldn't be an issue, even if I can get it tacked up and have my mate weld it up for me.

Thanks for the support guys, I'll work through the night if I have to, it's just the delivery of the parts that is out of my control. I did however take delivery of a single V-band clamp today, it's not a lot but it's a start :lol:

No worries buddy. Let me know if I can actually do anything.

Really got my fingers crossed for you, hoping you can make it.
:grin:

Well it's 12:45, & I've just come in from the man cave!! :lol: The manifold is nearly complete, V-band flanges arrived today, and a Tial turbine V-band housing! So tacked those on, fingers crossed I should be able to get the downpipe done tomorrow, then I just need to wrap it and put everything together! :grin:

Although I've not got the clamps to hold it together, so still a few parts to get.

Latest posts

Back