Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBH, I think anything over 250 bhp is in puma overkill anyway, and somehow I suspect you are north of that figure already :wink:
I would just make sure that engine is as driveable as possible and enjoy it if it works flawlessly

Hi Sinisa,

It definitely still has a lot of poke. The problem with the turbo has been accentuated by long duration camshafts and a high flowing head. However this now means that torque takes a dive after 5000 rpm and it's quite noticeable on the road.

It's only ever going to be a problem on dual carriageways and motorways at speeds which you lose your licence anyway. The plus is it drives like it has no lag, and the power is practically instant.

I'm wondering whether it's better in the meantime to concentrate on the chassis and handling to improve it further.

moondustka said:
[post]355015[/post]I'm wondering whether it's better in the meantime to concentrate on the chassis and handling to improve it further.
Probably for the best, as no matter how much power you have, you can't go fast upside down :lol:

Wild E. Coyote said:
Of course it is! If I were you, I'd leave the engine alone and perhaps look for ST170 gearbox with additional gear to make use of that low end grunt :wink:

That was a choice I had before getting the MTX75 box, however the ST170 Getrag box is nowhere as strong unfortunately, hence the choice was the MTX75. Shame otherwise I'd go for 6 speed every day of the week!

TGPlayer1 said:
moondustka said:
[post]355015[/post]I'm wondering whether it's better in the meantime to concentrate on the chassis and handling to improve it further.
Probably for the best, as no matter how much power you have, you can't go fast upside down :lol:

This is very true :lol:

They did pretty much of ST170 turboconversions in the States, IIRC, so it should gandle 300-ish bhp, I guess? Or that, already, IS NOT ENOUGH for your engine? :cool:

I'm at around 300hp. The ST170 gearbox will take a bit over 400hp. But I plan my next power hike to make at least 400hp at the hubs, which in theory should be easy with the right turbo :p

:lol: To be honest, won't be able to make use of any more power unless moving at 20mph+

Hi Ben
I think you need 4WD or RWD now with that sort of power. Wheelspin must be epic in your car now with the power transfer.
Barry

Road legal slicks are my friend :lol: only spins in first and if the tyres are really warm, barely spins in first.

Also with new management I could get boost per gear :wink:

But I do understand where you're coming from. I'm chasing it because there are plenty of zetec turbo fiestas around rubbing 400+ (some 500+) hp.

God damn 300hp on a fwd can u please post a video of a "normal" start on the street with her :twisted:

Bobby97 said:
[post]355123[/post] God damn 300hp on a fwd can u please post a video of a "normal" start on the street with her :twisted:

I'm waiting to get a go pro and attach it outside the car, should be able to get some cool footage :grin:

Tbh if that was my car... I'll be throwing away all my money for tyres :grin: just of interest how much are the nm on full boost? :roll:

Can't remember exactly.. Something like 270lbs/ft at the hubs. But.. It takes a dive after that because the turbo is too small :roll:

Glad you got your radiator issues sorted Ben, only just read through the last part of your thread, sounds like you are experiencing all the same problems I did, too much flow and too much can for a small turbo. But I'd just be careful going too big with the turbo, I've actually just gone from a .86 AR turbine to a .63 AR because mid range drivability is so much more fun. I had my GT30 on the 2.0 engine and it was good don't get me wrong, but weren't as fun as the GT28RS.

Hopefully I'll be seeing you at ford fair??

I'll be there buddy.

The guy who mapped it has suggested a GTX30 with a small rear housing and small compressor housing also. Or a BorgWarner EFR. Will have to wait though.

Latest posts

Back