Reprogram a remote key fob (central locking)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherie

Difficulty: 1/5

Time: 10 mins

Tools: N/A

Parts: N/A

It happens to all of us from time to time; the battery goes or the remote just decides it doesn't like you any more and suddenly you find that you can't use your remote key to open your doors any more...

There are 2 versions of the standard Ford key fob. Earlier pumas will have the 2 button infrared version, later ones will have the 3 button radio version.

The reprogramming method for each of these is slightly different.

Two Button Remote

1. Put the key to be programmed into the ignition and turn to position 1.
2. After approximately 10 seconds the alarm light (next to the clock) will stop flashing and stay lit. Programming mode has now been activated.
3. Return the key to the 0 position and remove fron the ignition.
4. Aim the remote at the infrared sensor above your rear view mirror, press and hold the lock button.
5. Once the led on the remote has flashed, press the unlock button 3 times and release both buttons after a final 4th push, all the while making sure the remote is aimed at the infrared sensor. The light on the remote and on your dash will flash about 4 or 5 times to indicate the programming has been accepted.
**repeat steps 4 and 5 to program additional remotes**
6. To end programming mode, put the key back in the ignition and turn to position 1 and wait for lights to go out. Remove the key, wait and then test.

Three Button Remote

1. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to position II and back to 0 four times quickly but steadily, but must be within 6 seconds)
2. When you remove the key the LED on the clock or the rear fog light switch (bizarre, but there you go) should light up constantly.
3. Within 20 seconds press any key on the remote that you want to program.
4. The LED should flash now to indicate that the programming was successful.
5. To end the programming mode wait 20 seconds or switch the ignition on.

Method 2 - Three Button Remote 1999MY (Tested)

1. Insert the key into ignition.
2. Turn the key to position II and back to position I - 4 times in quick succession (within 3 seconds)
You should be end up at position I
3. You should hear a beep and the rear fog light switch will illuminate
4. You now have around 10-20 seconds to press any key on the fob
5. You will hear a second beep and the indicators will flash (as if you've hit the hazard light switch briefly) to confirm your key press has been registered.
6. Wait for the rear fog light switch to go off.
7. You should now be able to lock/unlock/open the boot.
8. Get out of the car shut the door and try it!

Difficulty: 1/5 as long as you can follow instructions.

Common questions:

I've got one key, can I use this to program a second key to start the car?

The short answer is no. You need to get a second key cut and the transponder in it programmed to the car. Only Ford, or another garage with the right equipment will be able to do this. There are services on ebay that say they can program a key for you, treat these with the caution they deserve, remember, you are sending your key and your address to a complete stranger.

I've got two keys; a remote and a plain key, can I make a spare?

Yes, that you can do, simply follow these steps:

1. Insert the first programmed key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the lock cylinder from O position to II position (maintain ignition lock cylinder in the II position for one second).
2. Turn ignition lock cylinder to the O position and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.
3. Within five seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to the O position, insert the second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition lock from the O position to the II position (maintain the ignition lock cylinder in the II position for one second).
4. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the O position and remove the second key from the lock cylinder.
5. Within ten seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to the O position, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key) into the lock cylinder and turn the lock cylinder from the O position to the II position (maintain the ignition lock cylinder in the RUN position for less than 5 seconds).
6. Check the new programmed key starts the engine: Turn the ignition key to the II position for five seconds then try to start vehicle with the new programmed key.

I've tried all that, and it still won't work!

Sometimes, a failed attempt at programming the key can scramble something in the electrics.
1. Open the Drivers Door
2. Loosen off the Rubber Lining in the Front Bottom Corner
3. Pull the Carpet Away in that Corner
4. Disconnect the wiring block for about 30 seconds
5. Reconnect and try again.

Also worth checking is the connections within the remote i.e the 2 metal contacts to the battery.

I have a two button remote, can I upgrade to a three button remote?

No.
The two button remote is controlled by infrared, the three button as radio controlled. The two cannot be swapped over.

My experiences; from a 1999MY

Today I decided to replace the battery within my Key fob as I have had it 2 years and thought it could do with freshening up.

I replaced the battery within about 20 seconds with a brand new Energizer 2032 with the + and branding facing outward.

To my dismay when I approached my car (which I had left unlocked) I could not lock the car or open the boot.

I assumed that the fob had lost the RF encoding.

I came here to retrieve the settings which to my knowledge should work but i've found slight difference with my car.

Firstly I will just add that I attempted these steps without any success about 5 times. I came to realise that something was amiss so tried the old battery which did not work also.

I found that on of the two connectors (no idea why as I hadn't touched them) was no longer touching the battery, this was the connector touching the edge of the battery (or should have been!). I bent the connector back out and replaced the new battery once more.

I then attempted what I have found to be steps relevant to my model year.

1. Insert the key.
2. Turn the key to position II and back to position I - 4 times in quick succession (within 3 seconds)
You should be end up at position I
3. You should hear a beep and the rear fog light switch will illuminate
4. You now have around 10-20 seconds to press any key on the fob
5. You will hear a second beep and the indicators will flash (as if you've hit the hazard light switch briefly) to confirm your key press has been registered.
6. Wait for the rear fog light switch to go off.
7. You should now be able to lock/unlock/open the boot.
8. Get out of the car shut the door and try it!

Before I worked these steps out I spoke to a Ford service department monkey that informed me that there are 3 methods to code the key for the central locking. But would not give me any of the instructions stating they were in the handbook. I later discovered the handbook says to contact Ford for the instructions so quite contradictory!

Keywords: Program key Ford ford program unlock lock boot button code recode reprogram key puma 3 button remote program how to set keyfob fob doesn't doesnt car racing frp

I think it's related to the ECU as well so more than just that.

I thought the PATS was seperate to alarm system?? I disabled the PATS system on my last puma with 3 wires (bear in mind the original ECU did nothing on the car!) and the alarm still functioned fine.

I recently acquired 98 Puma 1.7. It came with two keys, one for doors and another for ignition barrel. Neither of which are remote central locking keys. I'm going to install a replacement lock set so the whole car uses just the one key. Its an annoying job I know as ave done it before but well worth it I think. I'm pretty sure my car has an infra red remote central locking system judging by the big black plastic bit beside the courtesy light. The last car I did it on didn't have remote central locking so it was fairly easy to do so I was just checking that I could program the key fob from 2nd hand lock set onto my car?

Cheers

You should be able to yes.

Providing you have the Infrared remote fob it won't matter whether the physical locks have been changed. Technically you can program a remote to open your car even if the key is a blank etc.

And yes most if not all 98 models were IR.

Hope this helps :)

It would depend on the age of the vehicle usually.

Most pre 1999 are infrared.

There would be a sensor up by the courtesy light for infrared.

Mine was fine last night locking car and got out to car this morning and it just wont work at all, does it just need reprogramming then, would a battery suddenly just go like that?

I'd not imagine so.

The contacts to the battery can become dislodged. If this happens the fob may lose it's coding but you may want to split it apart and ensure the contacts are touching the battery ok.

They are only little metals bits and can be bent into shape as required.

Guess what i left it after getting all stressed...came to work this mrning and rung Ford to say what i had already done and what the score was. Checked i was doing the programming right and i went out n did it again and HEY PRESTO!

We have a working pussy again!!!! :)

well after a week of thinking my key fob was faulty, i found this topic so tried re-programming the key and hey presto it worked a treat, i can now be lazy again, lets face it, it is a chor to put the key in the lock and turn :) i`m now happy again with not having to spend money with what i thought was faulty centrat locking.....

:D glad you got it working onemanandhispuma :D

I agree putting the key in the lock is so manual.

Many thanks for this guide - having recently purchased my first Puma the remote did not work even having put in new batteries - had it tested and showed it was faulty. Purchased a second hand one off ebay followed the above instructions and job done, saved a small fortune so many thanks again

Thanks so much for this. I needed locksmith to break into car when keyfob would not work have been using it mannualy now for the last year...... i have just reprogrammed keyfob again THANKS :p

Latest posts

Back