1.7 Rev Limiter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandStorm

We all know these 1.7 are awesome. But I notice it is very easy for the car to hit the Rev Limiter in 5th gear.
Is there a way to increase the Rev Limiter to 7000/7200 like in the FRP?

Racing or normal use?
If normal use (e.g. motorway), sounds like a slipping clutch!
Otherwise I presume it would be an ECU remap?

While it indeed, does have a slipping clutch in aggressive driving (I need to replace it this year asap), in a normal highway ride, it manages do max at 220km/h and then hit the Limiter at the spec 6750rpm +/-

to get 7000 you'll definitely need racing puma remap minimum id say...
...or you could disconnect the switch/wire in the engine bay, but you''ll have no speedo.. lol
stories of it damaging your gearbox and driveshafts though if left unplugged for too long without the map.

stuvy said:
[post]360600[/post]
Frank said:
[post]360592[/post]
gingerdave said:
[post]360576[/post] 136 MPH?? Really?
Seems unlikely - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Puma
It must be true it's on Wikipedia :p
Well, more like it must be true because the little blue Reference numbers on Wikipedia, as always, link to the Reference sources of the info.

In this case, to these - http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=38478
http://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/puma/coupe-1997/17i-16v-3d/specs/

Yes.
There's a highway my Ford Fiesta 1.25 mk6 managed to hit 200kmh (only once and last time it saw those speeds, never again managed the same, being 190 the max) going downhill behind an audi A3 that was making clean air, it's pretty easy on the same highway for a puma 1.7 to hit the limiter on 5th at 220km\h.
Yet, I have no idea how highways on the UK are.
Anyways, I have more things to take care on my car, than the limiter itself :lol:

Note: Speedo read, not GPS read

SandStorm said:
[post]360497[/post] We all know these 1.7 are awesome. But I notice it is very easy for the car to hit the Rev Limiter in 5th gear.
Is there a way to increase the Rev Limiter to 7000/7200 like in the FRP?

It certainly is! Contact Erroll Williams (pumanoob here) who can do it for you....

Unplugging the speedo is not going to change anything (other then disabling the torque limiter & disabling the speedo). The restriction is RPM, if you want more speed, the simplest solution would be to change your 5th gear, my car will go up to 175 now (I don't have the balls to go there :? )

I can put the rpm limiter wherever you want, I'm not sure what the max on the Puma ECU's is, but I've put them at 7600 before. But there would be a lot of load on the engine at those RPM's, & the power certainly would have tailed off if you are running stock cams & exhaust system. But if you want to try it I can put RPM's wherever you want.

To be honest I’ve always found any Puma that are bog standard where legal seems to hit a wall a 90 mph and just struggles to make it up to indicated 120 mph which is probably 115 mph.Errols car is definitely still pulling very strong at 90 mph from my experience :grin:

I have had mine popping off the limiter in 5th a couple of times (private roads :wink: ) and my clutch is fine so it is possible.

I am also looking do do something with the limiter on my oval race car can anyone put me in touch with someone who can help

Latest posts

Back