My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian' said:
Great update Jay! Was wondering if the Direnza radiator is a straight swap for the standard item.

We'll soon find out... I think it is. I'm waiting for my slim line fan to arrive before fitting it though.

Wild E. Coyote said:
Ah, shiney thingies! Always a happy moment when they are being put on a car.... :wink:

One question: I see almost all of the hoses ae now silicone ones. Is that silicone oil resistant (namely for the oil breather I see on the engine....?

The ones for oil are fluro lined

trublustu said:
[post]360645[/post] Nice rad and orange theme..
The vibra technics mounts are a must.
all good stuff.

I popped back into compbrake today and had another chat with them.
They have found a 45mm front top mount which would be a very simple fit to the Puma.
Catalugue number is CMB0160. It`s listed for a Clio. Gold in the catalogue but black in the stock room!
The rear mount (what I picked up today) is correct as listed for the Mk/5 Fiesta, CMB1188.

Your cars looking good..

Good to know, I'l check them out and add them to the suspension overhaul shopping list.

Hoping to have some more time on the car this weekend to get a few jobs done. I'm up against it at the moment trying to get the car ready for Rockingham on March 25th but I got away for 2 weeks on the 9th so I've only got this weekend and next to make sure its good to go!

Managed to get the gearbox mount fitted last night now it has its nice new vibra-technic bush pressed in. Will be fitting the torque link in the next few days as well.

Hopefully car is now/almost ready for Rockingham on March 25th.

Had my first outing in the car yesterday, took the car to Rockingham for the latest #TrackAddict track day. Was a bit of a rush to get the car ready as I needed to replace both drive shafts.... unfortunately/fortunately I've been in Cuba for two weeks so I only had Friday afternoon to get the work done....

Jet lagged and hyped up on caffeine I managed to get it done and ready for some track action. The car was pretty much faultless throughout the day and with the new Vibra-technics engine mounts it felt a lot more responsive. It was also the first chance I had to properly test the new aero package and I can confirm the rear wing works! I could take turn 1 flat anyway but it always felt a bit twitchy at 110 mph, now, with the added drag im heading through at 105mph but its so much more stable, it felt glued to the road.

onboard video with the instructor in the car, turns out im not sh*t

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrJJ1xulgI&t=366s[/youtube]

I'm already prepping for the next one, cadwell park on 10th May and more mods coming... car now has the front end stripped down ready for bigger rad and silicone hoses.

Wasted no time yesterday in getting the car ready for the next track in 6 weeks at Cadwell Park. I made a start stripping the front end down, removed the radiator, fan, coolant hoses. Started to replace the hoses for the new silicone ones and I'l hopefully be finishing it off next weekend with new alloy rad and slimline fan.

Few pics....poor quality iphone but you get the idea.

Untitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

Spent last night fitting the last of my coolant hoses... although I have 3 small ones left over and I cant work out where they go. 2 x small bore right angle hoses and small bore "S" bend.

Oh... and a few pictures of the car on track, more to follow.

trackaddict-rockingham-2017-jordanbutters-speedhunters-41 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

trackaddict-rockingham-2017-jordanbutters-speedhunters-133 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

trackaddict-rockingham-2017-jordanbutters-speedhunters-146 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

Few more pics from the track day.

17457774_1508380129180440_965400066904425869_n.jpg

17630024_1508379389180514_6771075749159754144_n.jpg

17553433_1508383372513449_692432960927697150_n.jpg

And a a couple of the pictures of one of the other Puma's on track. This one is Luke Elliots and its running Jenvey ITB's and full slicks, a very quick little car.

17626345_1508387419179711_768771264386030261_n.jpg

17554215_1508385199179933_5033216416400186769_n.jpg

17629797_1508381565846963_5177700893788637024_n.jpg

Hoping to sort a few more jobs out over the weekend, namely reducing a bit more weight from the car.

This is our latest #TrackAddict production from our recent track day.

Rockingham track day video|https://youtu.be/AhaeNoa1pGM

Did a little bit more work on the car at the weekend which involved me playing with my new power tool toy... angle grinder! Cut some excess metal away like brackets that are no longer needed from around the car, took quite a bit of metal out, more than I thought I would, still a fair bit more to go though.

Got a few more parts on order yesterday, slim line fan, new air filter and some extra pipework to relocate it.... I need to stop spending money on this engine and getting some turbo parts bought for the 2.0 zetec that is sat in my shed.

Will try and get some pictures up at the weekend.

Another update....

Finished work early yesterday and decided to have a few hours getting the car back together and in on piece ready for Cadwell Park on the 10th May.

There wasn't a huge amount to do but the car had been sat looking broken for a little while to the point when even my neighbor asked my why it hadn't moved for a while!

So First job was to fit my new Comex 12" slimline fan to the alloy radiator I'd bought.... slight issue, there we're no clips with the fan to mount it to the rad. So as an interim measure I've used a couple of cable ties and will be replacing them when my clips arrive.

The fan is a nice high quality item, I was looking at the cheaper ebay jobbies but decided to invest in a decent one.

Fitted to the radiator, only just fits!

Fitted up to the car, its a perfect replacement and goes straight into the original mounting position, the radiator is a Direnza item that is listed for a mk6 Fiesta but the dimensions are exactly the same. Its also a nice quality item for a decent price.

The last little job to do before I leave for Cadwell is wire up the fan and fill the cooling system which should all be done today. The other little job I wanted to do was replace and re position the air filter, mine is pretty old and battered now so I bought a new ITG filter, only issue..... Its HUGE and wont fit when I planned for it to go but it'll come in handy for the turbo engine build.

So I stuck with the old filter and used the new silicone elbow I'd bought to get the filter low down behind the bumper so I can direct some cold air into it.

Plenty of space between the wheel and filter so no issues of it catching. I've also now got a cold air feed going to the area behind the bumper.... it might make no difference but its a more effective way of getting the filter into some air flow.

I also got angle grinder happy again and chopped a load of brackets off that I no longer need, its amazing how much metal you can actually remove!

Next up is as previously mentioned, wire the fan up, fill and bleed the cooling system then give the car a good scrub and get it looking back to its best. I'l give the car a thorough road test before heading to Cadwell.

I'm also building the parts lists for the 2.0 zetec turbo engine I'm going to be building, its growing out of control but its all doable on the budget I'm planning. Once I've moved into my new house and I can get the engine on a stand I'l start stripping it down and getting it built back up.

On a personal side note.... I've just got back from my first ever Nurburgring experience, I'm helping to produce an article for Autosport Magazine so I was sent to basically do this.

IMG_4233 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

It was, hands down the best thing I've ever done from behind the wheel of any car.

Nice updates Jay! Really looking forward to your zetec turbo build. Is the engine swap going to happen this year?

You should take your Puma to the Nordschleife when it's up and running :eek:k: - Great fun, I went there last year with my Puma! Only went one lap but had an awesome experience.

Cheers guys.

The engine build will be happening this year but it won't be in the car until next year. I have a big shopping list to work through first.

Plan is to take to Nurburgring next year if everything goes to plan.

The Porsche was great fun, my first experience of rear wheel drive on a track and I thought it might be a bit of a handful but it was such a pleasure to drive. It encourages you to push it harder.

Hi Jay. I thought about mounting a cone air filter down there. Good idea.
As I figured it, a cold air feed is not really needed, the filter is a long way from any engine heat and will suck a lot more than a ram pipe would supply anyway.
One thing I thought of. Is that extending that front arch liner (with more of the same) would save a whole load of tears on a particularly wet trackday.

Looks like you had fun in the Porker at the Ring. :grin:

Cheer guys, the Porsche was great fun. Cant wait to go back in August.

Anyway, I spent a couple of hours doing a few little side jobs on the car today.

I replaced the bolts that hold the side skirts on for something a bit nice looking.
Before
After

Decided to give the interior a bit of a freshen up as it was starting to look a bit battered.
Before Untitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr
After

Picture of the cold air feed I've put in.

And finally... the under bonnet heat tape had started to look a bit rough so I've started to replace it with gold.

And a quick picture of the car....

Next job is a big clean next weekend to get it looking back to its best.

Made the most of having a little brother today and put him to work cleaning the car for me, I normally get him to give a deep clean once a year to get it back to its best and he hasn't let me down yet.

Through my #TrackAddict page I had a bit of a care package sent through from Valet Pro so we set about testing out their products.

Everything they sent was brilliant and highly recommended.... I have a 10% discount code if any one is interested.

Any few pics of him at work, weather turned a bit crappy so I haven't got any finished pictures, I'l get some tomorrow when I go out for a little drive.

DSC_0066 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0072 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0077 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0081 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0085 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0089 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0097 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0100 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0113 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0119 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0121 by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

Cheers guys. Its looking good at the moment, will be getting plenty of pictures when I head to Cadwell Park on Wednesday.

Literally can't wait to get cracking on the turbo build. Currently exploring gearbox options!

Latest posts

Back