Help need some advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th30rme

Hello community!! I'm a newbie. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.
Well I've been given a puma 1.4 as a project for myself but I think it maybe beyond repair so I'll tell you abit about it from the top.
Leaking water into the cabin every door seal has gone.
Can see the ground through a hole in the passenger side floor close to sill.
Rear arches rust bubbles
Driver side sill hole on curve of door.
Rear window seal has gone can push window out.
Brakes jammed on front and back drums have gone as well as callipers.
Full suspension needs replacing.
New cooling and heating parts.
New engine as this one has 160000 on clock and is stalling when getting warm.
New headlights
And not found anything else yet.

The question is do I repair the beautiful classic or do I send her to puma heaven. Please help.

It depends how much energy and funds you are prepared to spend. It sounds too far gone to me personally from your description, but then I havent got the skills to do the work myself.

The main worry / thing to check in detail before i'd go any further would be the bodywork as this is the Pumas weakness, particularly the sills and prescribed areas for MOT's. If the body is very rotten I wouldn't go any further as you should be able to pick up much better example for little money these days

As above really, sounds as though the amount you could spend (even doing the work yourself) could very quickly outstrip the value of the car.
if water has been getting in for some time I doubt if the floor will be saveable, add new suspension, new engine etc and you are racking up the £ signs.
My advice for what its worth would be given the fact it was free is to put it to one side if you have the space and use it for spares for another one, you could also sell bits off it, again if you have the space, which will put money towards a better one, lets face it for around £300, sometimes less you can get a semi-decent car with MOT .
If you decide to go that route there is loads of advice on here about problem ares to look for when buying.

If it was me I'd strip it for spares and get a 1.7 to make the most out of the puma chassis

Th30rme said:
[post]360733[/post] The question is do I repair the beautiful classic or do I send her to puma heaven.
This is a fairly simple one to answer - the car is a wreck, get rid of it.

For far less than it would cost in £££ and time to repair that car, you can get a MOT'd 1.7.

Thank you for your replies. I haven't really had chance to look at the chassis yet as I say I know of 1 hole on the passenger side foot well which can be welded. From what I can see the boot floor is good and drivers footwell is good. But not been underneath the car yet. I have the time and money to correct but as you all say and I'm taking your advise she maybe too far gone all depends on the underneath.

Hi guys. Apart from the hole on passenger side footwell no other holes or bad rust. And been given an st170 engine. And my question is would it fit?

Only the corrosion on that list alarms me and only then because you've listed a hole but not talked about underneath. My suspicion would be that there's not much left of the whole underside.

Hi
I'm with Ian on this subject, I suspect that if you have a good look all the way around the rear chassis rails/axle mount inner and outer sills you'll find that it's pretty much rotten as a pear.
Barry

Hello all. Been underneath my puma finally. Good news the rear rails and floor is ok little surface rust but going to sand down and repaint the underneath anyway. Just the one hole which I can weld back together. The car has surprised me after your experiences. Thank you for all your help and guidance I really appreciate your comments. And now my project begins.

Have you checked the rear axle bushes front wishbones and all the shocks...? They will be next on the list

I appreciate that it was free and you are obviously up for a project/challenge but still think you should use this one for spares, seems as though you are about to open up a world of pain along with some serious wallet emptying.

Just how long has this sat unused? mine was in a reasonably dry garage under a full cover and the amount of deteriation was appalling, if this has been outside for any length of time without window seals.......well.

If you still decide go down the resto route I honestly wish you all the best and look forward to pictures, going to be a big job

The puma was sat in a garage for 18 months. Now in my garage. Not had chance to work on her as I've been doing overtime. But as soon as I get chance I will download you all with info and pics. Sorry for the long wait of reply.

Latest posts

Back