Puma'd mk6 fiesta

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigG1985

OK so has anyone dropped a 1.7 puma lump into a mk6 fiesta yet for track use?

I understand the common response will be just go with the st150/170 but Its not an option to go with a 2.0 in my formula (oval hotrods)

Plus the other reasons the st lumps are a lot heavier and create massive understeer on the oval tracks we use plus I have 3 spare puma engines from my current car which is a puma.

I don't want to go with the puma she'll again as much as I love it the flared arches get beaten up quite badly as there's a reasonable amount of rubbing .

Bering in mind I have the cut down loom already and this side is not an issue any idea's on how difficult it would be to mount the 1.7 lump in a mk6 ideas on what gearbox and shafts to use etc anything else that may be of help.

Cheers
Garry

Probably more joy with this over on the Fiesta clubs, I haven't heard of the conversion on here but that's not to say it hasn't been done or there's not members on here who've done it.

Good luck!

I doubt anyone has done it, as fiesta uses CANBUS and puma does not. So, you would have to basically redo all the wiring in fiesta. Fiesta uses FBW throttle, puma has throttle cable etc....

It could be done but as others have said you would need to replace the ECU instruments and loom with that from a Puma. The Mk6 1.6 Fiesta engine is a minor evolution of the Sigma from the Mk5 which is closely related to the Puma lump. You should be able to use a combination of the engine mounts from the 1.6 engine in a Mk6 and the Puma mount. The gearbox is an IB5+ so has cable selection rather than the rod selector in the Puma but is otherwise pretty much the same as the box in the Puma and so will bold straight to the Puma engine. As you can keep the Mk6 box then you can obviously keep the driveshafts/hubs/suspension too.

Bare in mind this is used on an oval track so will be a race car and no need for full clocks only a rev counter

The clocks are needed unless you replace the complete loom. Fiesta uses digital electrical network CANBUS and the clocks are used as gateway for the hispeed and lowspeed CANBUS.
So you are basically looking at these modifications:

1. Replacing the engine. The engine mount will fit, but the torque resistor I doubt -> needs sorting
2. To be able to run the engine. You need analogue throttle with cable (fiesta uses FBW) and original PCM (again, the PCM from fiesta expects CANBUS). Alternative is to use some aftermarket electronics for running the engine -> needs mapping as well
3. Puma gearbox is rod operated. Either you take the complete shifting mechanism, or use the fiesta gearbox which will bolt on fine to the engine but I haven't checked the gearbox ratios in fiesta gearbox.
4. If you keep the fiesta gearbox, that should most probably solve the mounting problems as the gearbox mount and torque resistor are from fiesta already. There is a possibility they would bolt onto puma gearbox as well, but I haven't seen two geraboxes next to another to be able to confirm that.
5. Driveshafts: the hubs are the same on puma and fiesta, the gearbox diffs are the same. That means driveshafts from fiesta will mate with puma gearbox and puma driveshafts will mate with fiesta gearbox and fiesta hubs. The only thing unknown are their lenghts. I seem to recall that fiesta uses equal length driveshafts which would mean the intermediate shaft is longer than the puma one and the bracket for securing it to the engine with bearing will be out of place

Latest posts

Back