Project Sky Blue (Now TURBO'd)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Brian, I just thought it would look more "factory" as the fasteners will still be available as they are even on MK6A Fiestas.

tuonokid said:
[post]358337[/post] Cheers Brian, I just thought it would look more "factory" as the fasteners will still be available as they are even on MK6A Fiestas.
It is a good way of fixing. But I think I need to remove the carpet then if I want to do a proper job.

tuonokid said:
[post]358351[/post] Yup, but would you like to drill from below for rivnuts without removing the carpets? :)
Hm. Yeah that actually makes sense now I'm thinking about it. If I plan on removing the interior I might even try your idea with the self tappers.

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]358376[/post] Drilling through the floor pan is an arse of a job.. avoid at all costs :pinkeye:
I know it is. But it's the only way of fitting the heat shield back the proper way. Otherwise they will be rattling in no time, like they used to do a few months back.

...just caught up with this again since last reading it in April, boy have you been busy! :grin: Looks absolutely lovely Bri', really like the colour, totally "freshens" the car's lines up for me. Like the contrasting little lip boot spoiler too, it works and they often don't. Great going. :eek:k:

trublustu said:
[post]358673[/post] Like the little spoiler lip..
g-whizz said:
[post]358664[/post] ...just caught up with this again since last reading it in April, boy have you been busy! :grin: Looks absolutely lovely Bri', really like the colour, totally "freshens" the car's lines up for me. Like the contrasting little lip boot spoiler too, it works and they often don't. Great going. :eek:k:
The little spoiler lip is currently not on the car. This due to the tape not holding up very well (or me applying it wrong). Order up some new tape and will most likely fit it back tomorrow! It indeed does look very cool and breaks up the bright blue a bit :p

Also been busy with eliminating all the odd squeaks in the interior and from other bits of the car such as suspension. Also need to re-do the sealing of one headlight. A while back I splitted both my headlight to clean them up. One of the headlights now keeps fogging up making my Puma look bloody awful! So that's also a job I need to do. Going to change over the HID's to uprated bulbs as well as this might also be the reason of the headlight fogging up (there's a bit hole in the back of that plastic cap for the ballast)

And I've also been doing some research towards turbo's. But not sure on that yet as I would like to do a proper job if I'm going that route. So more on that later I guess.

So will be focusing on the little jobs for now and continue with more pace in spring!

I never had any issues with rattling heat shields, but if needed I would also take out the carpet to repair properly. Are the existing fitting screws broken? Can you not just attach the shields with larger washers to them?
The more I see this colour the more I like it, great Puma.

TylerB said:
[post]358711[/post] I never had any issues with rattling heat shields, but if needed I would also take out the carpet to repair properly. Are the existing fitting screws broken? Can you not just attach the shields with larger washers to them?
The more I see this colour the more I like it, great Puma.
Hi Tyler,

Some of the existing fitting screws are broken and some aren't so it's just the case of repairing a few. I am going to use larger washers, that's for sure!

Been way too long since I've done an update on this! Car is really behaving very well. Not had a problem whatsoever.
Still haven't been able to refit the heatshield though. Should be doing this in the coming month or two.

Been really busy the past couple of months with gathering parts for an upcoming project. As I'm not able to buy all the parts in one go I already bought the parts I can already install. One of which is gauges. But before I could install the gauges I needed some sort of dashpod. Didn't want them on the A-pillar. So I tried and make them in the vent holes in the clocksurrounding.. This didn't work out as I hoped for so I continued and decided to make them in the clocksurrounding. It turned out really nice if I say so myself!

Pictures of my creation:

Had it flocked to get it looking all nice and flat. Couldn't get the finish I wanted in the corners of the pod so it being flocked solved that problem! As some may noticed, one of the gauges shows 'boost'. And yes, that's the upcoming project that I'm working on!

I've been looking for more power the past 1-2 years. And decided, after the Nürburgring trip of last year, that I need more power. Thought of going for the ITB route but I'm just more interested in turbostuff.

So the past few months I've been busy gathering parts. Manifold is being made by Chris from LMS, will also be buying uprated headbolts and decompression plate from him. Compression will be lowered with the double headgasket and decompression plate method. Going to use a standalone ECU which will be the EMU ECU. The tuner I use will be making a plug-and-play harness. Car will also go MAFless since the EMU has a build-in MAP sensor. Turbo I will be using is a T25 from the first gen Focus RS. So should spool nice and early.
Have almost bought all the needed parts so will soon start tearing down stuff and fitting stuff. Really looking forward to it! It's going to be a low-boost only (~10psi/0,7bar). Hoping for around the 200bhp mark.

Stay tuned! :grin:

Been a while since I updated my project. This was due to something that accured two months ago. Two months ago I got involved in an accident with my Puma. Causing mostly damage to the rear end :-(

At first it seemed like nothing was wrong. Car drove fine as well.
xx3K6v9.jpg

Took it straight to our workspace and tried opening the trunk, not budging.. The lock was pushed in. And I immediately had the feeling that everything was bended out of place. After eventually removing everything I was greeted with this:
ImqLDQY.jpg

f7vpHLs.jpg

Completely devastated... For a month I though of buying something else. Was thinking of going for a Fiesta MK5 and continue the turbo project in that one. However couldn't find a good example and wasn't really looking forward to start again with repairing rust, paint and so on.

After discussing with the welder I decided to fix it. Welder said it's only the rear panel (And partly the floor, but that can be straighten) and is repairable. Frame is straight so that's good. So I needed to source the panel. Breakers couldn't be bothered removing this part so I was on the hunt for a donor car. Eventually found one for the cheap. It is a '99 1.7 Melina Blue one with 140,000 miles on it. Doesn't drive bad at all :lol:

So the Smurf Blue Puma will stay alive and will be going to the welder in the upcoming weeks and should be fixed rather soon than later! I'm positive that it will return in a better state than it has ever been in! :)

Hi Brian
Sorry to hear that you got your car damaged but glad you're returning it back to it's former glory :thumbs:
Barry

^^ must have been a bit of a whack to bend the floor.

Glad to hear you haven't given up on it, is the person that hit you paying?

red said:
[post]364571[/post] ^^ must have been a bit of a whack to bend the floor.

Glad to hear you haven't given up on it, is the person that hit you paying?
Yeah it was quite the whack. The person in front of me and in the rear of me stood completely still and the fourth guy rammed into us with 60/70kph.

Luckely the insurance paid me out. But I much rather have a non damaged car :p .

Just a quick update here. Removed the ´dented´ panel from my Puma. Was a tedious job considering the amount of spotwelds. Also managed to remove the whole rear section of the parts Puma.
ifu5jk4.jpg

Dw1BNye.jpg

Tomorrow the welder is coming to my place and we discuss when it will be welded. Excited.. Hopefully soon! :)

Managed to drill out the leftover spotwelds to make it a complete weld-in panel. Was not a pleasant job to do but will end up saving me quite a lot in the long run.

Inside of the panel:
o5BVpt3.jpg

Outside of the panel:
kzkEbqp.jpg

Welder came wednesday and didn't have space until upcoming thursday. So hopefully it will be going to his place next week. Shouldn't be a lot of work as it's only 50 spotwelds or so. Most of the work goes into making everything fit (near) perfect. Such as the lights, bumper and locking mechanism. But I'm sure he get it's perfect enough for everything to work. Tried fitting the panel this afternoon but it was refusing to go in. So might need a little persuasion to go in :p
Ir5jCVZ.jpg

I hope that the welder can finish the work within about 2/3 weeks so that it can finally drive again after 5 months of standing still. The front of the car is looking really good atleast. Managed to get the panel gaps spot on, apart from the bonnet since this one is dented.
CvXnh0t.jpg

Latest posts

Back