New Puma Owner

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlosJan

Hi, I have just inherited my Dad's Puma 1.7 16v 1997 so thought It worth joining the owners club. It was one of the first out of the showroom and he has kept it in excellent condition, with only 34,000 miles. It only came out high days and holidays, it was his baby. He's treated himself to a new sporty number. I already have a newish Ford Fiesta Ecoboost, so torn on what to do, as have slways loved the Puma. If anyone has any suggestions on cheap way of insuring second cars, as reluctant to let it go, but cannot afford to spend too much, as would only use as a fun weekend car probably, otherwise I will have to sell it. Thanks for your time reading my newbie post.

Welcome to the site, I used to use Admiral multicar for two cars but not sure how good they are now as I've only had one for a while now.

If you like it, then keep it I would say :grin:

34k that's amazing, make sure you take some pics for us :D

Have you tried FootmanJames, Lancaster, Or Adrian Flux?

p.s dont sell it :lol:

I use A plan and only have limited mileage of 3000 miles/pa so it's not too bad. If it's only done that mileage and has been garaged and not driven in the wet I would definitely keep it and get it properly rustproofed.
Barry

I’ve used Admiral multicar last couple of years with limited mileage like Barry. They seem fairly reasonable.

As i’m in it for the long haul - and to slow the rust (may need new sills at some stage I expect!) as a 2nd car I can afford to lay up mine in the garage over winter to avoid the salt. SORN saves a few pounds on tax but I keep it insured throughout though in order to preserve no claims.

Will

Good luck with it a sounds like a good one

I use Admiral Multicar too and it’s not bad at all for three cars, one being the Puma. And if you sell, let us all know!!! There is bound to be someone interested

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have put it on SORN but just gone to look at it in my partners garage and now seriously thinking of selling my fiesta and having the puma as my everyday car as I do not do much mileage. Cannot really afford to have two cars on the road and insured etc and seems a shame to shut the puma away.

Hi GlosJan,

Welcome to the party. I use my Puma on a daily basis for my 10-mile commute to work, so about 100 miles per week. I think steady general use actually helps cars keep some reliability/longevity - Engine/Transmission parts get well lubricated often and other stuff like Brake components keep clear from corrosion. Not so good in very cold weather when the council liberally sprays the roads with salt, though - it's the Pumas worst enemy without a doubt. Perhaps we need a 'rust' smilie for this Forum, mods!

I often wonder about cars like this:
http://www.evo.co.uk/mclaren/f1/20186/delivery-mileage-mclaren-f1-goes-up-for-sale

... a McLaren F1 with just 149 miles on the clock. Not sure how well those moving parts have been looked after. Then again, it's a McLaren F1 - I'm sure the new owner will have more than enough funds to get it properly checked out at McLaren's own factory than having to rely on a Kwik Fit winter check (which would probably flag up that it's missing a seat as "there are only three currently in the car").

Hi, as per my original post in January 2018. I am now seriously thinking of selling the Puma I inherited. 1997 R reg 34000 miles 1.7 16v Red. It has been stored in our garage since I got it. I just wondered where I can go to get information on prices for it. Any guidance would be gratefully received. Thanks.

For a car with that history I would possibly ask one of the classic car auction houses for a guide price at auction.

Latest posts

Back