Mr Fox's Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockingham Garage on Sat, took vids but after uploading them once I got home I discover the camera had dropped down and all I captured was the passenger headrest lol, further track pics here for which I might buy a few

http://motorsportinfocus.co.uk/galleries/2016-events/rockingham-101216/index.php?sub=887dfe6c6928de03e9a250b65894c15a

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1481537155805.jpg
    FB_IMG_1481537155805.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 12,421
I said to myself this year will be the year I use the car on track more than ever but I haven't been out yet, trying to save to buy my first house doesn't help mind!

Anyway tomorrow I'm going to get stuck in and work on the car.

One major issue is no brake bias, was locking rears a lot at Rockingham without braking particularly heavily (although it was wet so that obviously added to it) due to running 30mm billet axle spacers my self-test would constantly lock the wheels up and absolutely couldn't have that so I remember pulling both the green 30a abs pump fuse and pink 3a module fuse so thinking (and I may be very wrong) but if I replace the 3a I 'may' have the bias working again, if not I have a non-abs mk4 Master Cylinder and matching Servo but will need to get new lines made up.

Gathered some bargain goodies and selling stuff that's being replaced to mainly fund new tyres but also some toward future track days.

First off is my Sparco Rev's, they're very narrow and although light as feck 6kg, my love handles don't agree now and I'm getting back ache from my shoulders being so squashed so they're up for sale and two wider Cobra Imola Pro's going in with much better support! these are 8kg each and almost brand new out a rally car, got one in before the light failed today and get the other in tomorrow on fixed new alloy side mounts (which should offset the weight difference a bit)

nothing to hoover up after taking the cushion out adds to the fact they've had very little use

needed to remove the side hole trims so the bolts could line up

Next up wheels. Earlier in my thread I bagged a steal on ebay for a set of mint condition 15" 7J ford 'momo arrow type' alloys in KTM orange wrapped in R888's GG tyres.

Although they're awesome in may ways they're over 16kg each, I imagine most due to the width (and that with half worn tyres) so wanted to revert to lighter oem puma wheels. I've had 9-spokes and went clown crazy on a set of fan type's so especially with Stewarts recommendation a managed to bag a set of straight and true F1's with 6mm TR1's for £30! These weigh 14kg.

So the 'oranges' are going so are my current speedlines and these two will easily fund a new set of AD08R's

centre cap weight so they may stay off

Front bumper coming off tomorrow, modified 'bumper splitter' going on (so real splitter support rods can go through) other seat going in, TR1 coming off the F1's and may make a start with refurbishing, also upgrading the ignition system, got some 8mm magnecor leads and genuine motorcraft plugs (these produce a greater spark with 1.3mm gap although coilpack life depreciates)

Got the driver seat in, this took quite a bit of experimentation to get my position just right.

I'm slightly higher now but that's down to the fact I made adjustment so I'm more upright than before (combined with practically new and better support cushions) I'm the perfect distance from the wheel also now to the point where a full dished wheel would be too close and flat wheel too far away (saves buying a spacer too which I was close too) and have the exact right bend left in my knee after fully depressing the brake pedal :thumbs:

Also correctly adjusted the new 3" 4 point TRS harness (makes the passenger 2" 3 point TRS look so weedy in comparison)

It keep raining heavy on and off all day (and currently) so didn't get round to much else.

I'm sorry to bother but looking for some help regarding the Turini 16"s.

What is the offset of the ones you have?

I'm finding that the recommended for the Puma on 16s are between 34 and 38. Meanwhile I can only find Turini's with either 28 or 42. :/

HampusSoder said:
[post]362007[/post] I'm sorry to bother but looking for some help regarding the Turini 16"s.

I'm finding that the recommended for the Puma on 16s are between 34 and 38. Meanwhile I can only find Turini's with either 28 or 42. :/

Hi, wasn't ignoring your Q just hadn't been on here for a while. They were advertised as ET35 but when I turned up at the guys house they were ET42 (this was years ago!) I've noticed zero difference on the road, I tend to only use them on track if its wet (as they're are wrapped in Rainsports) years of different peoples experiences with different offsets on here, ET28 would handle better then ET42 (although obviously ET34/35 would be ideal)

If you fancy a cheap track day im bookedd on to this one... http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackdays/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=494

6 months has passed so time for a wee update:

Cars been sitting since a brought my first house on 31st July and I shouldn't have been surprised I couldn't start it yesterday.

With jump leads not the easiest with the battery in the middle of the car I searched amazon for a battery jump unit on 'prime' so I could get it over to the garage today and came across this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0183PH8VC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wasn't that convinced initially from its size but the reviews convinced me otherwise. Its about the size of a small portable HHD and the build quality is brilliant and came with its own case.

It arrived half charged (instructions said it should have at least three blue bars lit (it had two) but thought I'd give it a go, started straight away and apparently will work up to 15 times over without needing another full charge, well happy with it and sure it will rescue me again during the winter track season.

Anyway its now in the garage to have the remaining two vibratechnics engine/gearbox mounts fitted so I'll be running the full set, woohoo race car buzz! also looking forward to how much more positive it will feel to throw the car about at Snetterton next weekend.

Also having at bash at improving the brakes and pedal feel so a mk3 mondeo servo and master cylinder being fitted (with 2 custom stainless flexi lines solving the issue of needing to bend the lines shooting the opposite way out the mondeo cylinder) also having the abs module/pump replaced (could be air in, unsure) and fresh 'super blue' racing fluid bled through.

Other small jobs are magnecor blue ht leads, new NGK iridium plugs oh and a new k&n panel filter (£15 ebay steal!) the rear coilovers are dropping another 10mm and if the garage has time before Ford Power Live the air-con may get removed and the smaller aux belt fitted.

Will post photos once its back with me.

Car looked ok when I saw it earlier this year, looking really good now, all the wrapping looks cool, top job.
New seats look good too, i remember having a similar problem years ago with a bucket seat, very comfortable until I actually drove the car!!

grayfox said:
[post]362225[/post]
HampusSoder said:
[post]362007[/post] I'm sorry to bother but looking for some help regarding the Turini 16"s.

Hi, wasn't ignoring your Q just hadn't been on here for a while. They were advertised as ET35 but when I turned up at the guys house they were ET42 (this was years ago!) I've noticed zero difference on the road, I tend to only use them on track if its wet (as they're are wrapped in Rainsports) years of different peoples experiences with different offsets on here, ET28 would handle better then ET42 (although obviously ET34/35 would be ideal)
Haha, will start with writing the same, I've not been on for a while now, but thanks a lot for the answer, very helpful!

Will still wait a while to buy but Turini's are definitely what I'm still after! :grin:

Hi all, just letting you know this thread is still alive by the way although the car has been parked up since the start of December!

It's 10 years since I brought the car today and also its 18th Birthday this weekend so need to start treating her a bit better (can literally take her down the pub now!)

I'd ordered some bits to spruce it up for a much needed trackday in the next month or so - got a brand new mondeo mk3 Master Brake Cylinder coming and a set of weld-in bars/floating bracketing so I can get my drivers seat lower, giving it a good service to with some Formula-F and new filters and see how we go.

Glad to see your still sticking with the car, I've had mine for 10 years as well now!

I've been looking at upgrading my master cylinder, think the original one has seen better days, which mondeo one have you gone for?

mk3, all models have the 23,81 piston diameter even the ST220 so didn't matter which, I went with a German Topran (Mapco was cheaper but decided against it, although I'm sure it would have been fine) Ordered from motor-doctor.co.uk for £86 delivered but didn't say it was actually shipping from Germany so still waiting for it.

I had previously taken a used oe one to the garage to have fitted but the pedal went straight to the floor, so wasted labour to swap the puma one back and wasted bottle of superblue trying to bleed it out! didn't want to take the chance again, to save messing about with the brake lines I had two stainless brake hoses custom made (very pretty but should have been at £80 :-D )

Long time no update!

So I did my first track day of the year on 3rd July - Evening Brands Hatch Indy and had great fun zooming round with Al and Ben.

It was with Opentrack and was really happy with the marshalls, organisation and driving standard from all, being an evening the tarmac temp had dropped, (there was a bike session during the day and everyone tyres were going off) and I was never badly held up the whole time!

Beforehand the car was #pumashacked with driver weld in seat rails, mondeo mk3 servo and MC, oil change/filter and single wiper conversion (weight reduction lol) and 15mm Eibach Pro spacers.

Servo and MC

2JphL.jpg

You can see what a monster the servo is from the Engine Bay shot, very sure it wouldn't have fitted had I not already put the battery in the back

2JpiL.jpg

All great changes, my brakes work properly now, I'm sat lower, bit further back and completely central to the wheel. The front spacers have improved turn-in incredibly while the rear is planted as hell with 30mm axle spacers and whiteline rear anti-sway bar.

Wheelbase is now (with 15" F1 6j 34et wheels)
Front track is 1480mm (1450mm standard)
Rear track is 1471mm (1411mm standard)

The car is setup beyond my driving ability so I badly need to get more seat time and going to definitely do more evening sessions!

Photos from the day

2JpgV.jpg

2Jpj7.jpg

2Jpjd.jpg

2Jpje.jpg

2Jpjn.jpg

2Jpjo.jpg

Looking good on track and I bet the additional mods have really helped.

Which of the whiteline ARB's are you using? The MK6 Fiesta one? I know they have just changed the design on it, have you got he old or new style?

Oh.. and have you got a pic of the single wiper linkage conversion.

PumaJay said:
Looking good on track and I bet the additional mods have really helped.

Which of the whiteline ARB's are you using? The MK6 Fiesta one? I know they have just changed the design on it, have you got he old or new style?

Oh.. and have you got a pic of the single wiper linkage conversion.

Old MK6 version, you need the backbox to be small otherwise it's effectiveness is seriously weakened as it won't mount vertically enough, I can grab a pic of the linkage tonight if you like?

Latest posts

Back