Replacement fuel tank - identical to Fiesta?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperen

Hi all, after taking my Puma for a service today my mechanic advised me that my fuel tank is very rusty and leaking petrol into the seams.

Does anyone know if I can use one from a Mk4 Fiesta (95-02) and if so is there any particular model it has to be from?

Thanks

I would guess not. Might be possible but no reason to chance it, they're not in short supply either new or second hand.

They are identical to a fiesta, but the problem is iirc, there are 2 different types on the petrol fiesta, cant remember what the differences were, either the hole size for the sender unit, or one of the other holes is different, but i just ended up buying a puma one. May be the same with early and late puma.

I looked at some a while back and the main filler connector maybe the overflow as well were different on some.

Instead of the filler hose wrapping / clamping around a tube / spigot that came out of the tank the filler hose inserted into a hole in the tank that had a rubber seal.

there is a fiesta tank listed as an injection tank (i.e not carburetor). It looks the same.

As previously stated there is a fiesta tank thats different from the Puma tank and here it is

KGrHqNokE8YD1sj34BPZH5CzmtQ60_12.jpg

There very well may be fiesta tanks that fit the Puma, but make absolutely sure what you buy is what you think your getting dont rely on a simple line drawing in an add, in fact dont even rely on a photograph as they are often generic pics just for advertising purposes.

As Ian said theres loads of Puma tanks about so why take the risk?

I might start doing new ones, depends what they're going for really, not enough on Ebay to get a good idea.

There were rumours of plastic ones a while back I wouldnt mind one of those. Fords price is up near £400 for a new one iirc metal not plastic that is.

I might start doing new ones, depends what they're going for really, not enough on Ebay to get a good idea

By doing do you mean selling or making?

Demand for replacement fuel tanks will be on the increase now. You'll be lucky to find one without corrosion, and there will be a lot of MOT failures because of it.

Good morning people! Is the Van Wezel 1830082 for Fiesta surely compatible with Ford Puma 1.7 1998?
https://www.pezzidiricambio24.it/1283040-van-wezel
VAN WEZEL.jpg

Above is the same as the one I fitted on "buttercup", the 14mm tube for the breather is a slightly different angle to original but causes no hassle

Just checked my old tank up the garden.....hole sizes are the same, the tank in the picture is a slightly different shape (mine does not have the crease across it) but so long as the bolt holes are right you should be ok

Just out of interest, if you wanted to fit a bigger fuel tank would it need to go in the boot? Probably seems like a stupid question I know.

Ed

Back