MOT fail...advice please

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronniefclub

Hello all, so I purchased a Ford Puma 10 months ago as a cheap run around...done 10,000 pleasurable miles in that time. Fantastic car!
Unfortunately, I've just returned from a MOT where it didn't fair well....I've listed the 3 Major Defects below...

Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt, near side front.

Axle swivel pins and bushes swivel pin and/ or bush excessively worn both near side and off side rear.

So, I love my Puma, has only done 87,000 miles and is rust free, but only cost £500, so am loathed to spend near that to get this repaired.

Does anyone know how big a job it is to repair said problems?

Many thanks

Ronnie

Not really, look on eBay and you will see maybe £100 parts and £60 labour I would imagine.

Not sure swivel pins are. But the above cost includes both sides as this would be best practice. Also set aside £30 for wheel alignment afterwards.

Ronniefclub said:
Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt, near side front.

Axle swivel pins and bushes swivel pin and/ or bush excessively worn both near side and off side rear.

Ball joint dust cover - I would replace the wishbone which would also give fresh new bushes too. Would go for the pair. Would advise to replace the bolts too.
It is possible to replace the ball joints only, but generally would need to drill out the rivets holding them on. By the time that's done would probably be easier to replace whole wishbones.

Axle swivel pins etc. - I would assume this is referring to the rear beam. Replace the bushes with polyurethane if doing a DIY job and fit new bolts too (personally would fit new bolts as standard).

Neither of the above is too much of a job from a DIY point of view with a little knowledge, although the rear beam bushes can be a pig but not impossible if you are determined to save money on labour..

As above, wheel alignment would be a good idea afterwards.

Latest posts

Back