Puma 1.7 Rebuild Mk II

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a question regarding the exhaust. I know a manifold, sports cat and exhaust system can see a decent boost to bhp on the puma.

However, the days of wanting a loud and obnoxious exhaust are well and truly behind me. Is there any real method of obtaining performance without winding up with a deafening exhaust note?

I know Allison Automotive fabricate FRP exhausts and now that Pumaspeed no longer seem to sell their FRP exhaust system it's probably going to be the best place to get one from.

I looked at a youtube video of the exhaust note when fitted to a puma and it still seemed a bit boy racer in it's tone.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vnTWfoeJ0s[/youtube]

I'm going to contact Team Birkbeck Rally today to query lead times on their parts list. They have a full list of all S1600 Puma rally parts. I'm thinking end game of the FRP body kit potentially. But they also sell carbon and fibreglass wheel arch panels. That with FRP body kit could prevent the rust? At least that's my thinking.

Plus their uprated rear brake parts seem very affordable:

Ed.PNG

I'd assume anything other than engine related components would fit directly to a 1.7 Puma?

Not saying I'd ever consider uprating lots of components to professional rally spec items. But, I figure a few uprated bits and pieces could be worthwhile.

For anyone missing anything from their Christmas wishlist, this parts list is bound to peak your interests:

http://www.teambirkbeck.com/downloads/puma.pdf

Ed

It's personal preference, but I have to admit that I've never been that keen on the silver panels in the Puma interior:

48420037_310978923086177_487711747122135040_n.jpg

Once again, I hadn't even intended to buy any more parts at the moment, but I noticed an(other) eBay bargain which will help go with the all black Millenium door panels I won:

12.jpg

I'll replace the head unit with a black fascia and aftermarket head unit that has USB so I can have all my music on a flash drive. I'm also thinking of buying a spare speedo surround/trim and getting it carbon dipped:

12.jpg

Although I'm not sure if that last one would look a bit tacky.

Finally, I want to get the dashboard flocked. My only grievance would be the plastic covers on the door covers and the usual light coloured roof colouring not matching with the rest of the car. Come to think of it, my ST180 was the only car that had a dark roof lining.

124.jpg

Ed

There is a black trim available for the speedo surround from a Fiesta (matches the heater panel you've bought.)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into that.

In other news, I emailed Milltek to query if they still made the Puma system. They advised they no longer produce them and they wouldn't fabricate a one-off order for an exhaust system.

Allison Automotive it is then. Chris quoted me £90 in labour to fit the system. So I'll have to get saving on that once I'm out of my overdraft.

Ed

Apart from revving higher, will the Newman fast road cams make the car sound any different? Same question goes for the inlet manifold. I assume when I eventually change to cold air induction, this will change the tone of the engine too?

Ed

Hi all,

Just had a chat with J and got a really good update. Half the engine rebuild is done. They're moving soon and he'll be next to the workshop which means the car can be worked on regularly.

He also said as I've been patient waiting and helped them out, any further work can be paid in instalments. This is a big help to me as the rust was the next thing I wanted to address, but I wouldn't be able to afford it until spring.

Now I'll be able to get everything I want to get sorted, done at the same time.

Get the rust sorted, wax oil, chip resistant paint on the inner arches. Get the alloys refurbed. Clean up the aging plastic on the headlights. Maybe some more powerful bulbs for the headlights (any suggestions? :idea:) Get the old girl in tip top shape before I get it back on the road.

Really happy for the update. I'll keep you posted next month with more updates when I get them.

Ed :grin:

Also mulling over colours. Probably a long way off a respray. I liked the ST orange Puma's I saw, but it's a little too garish.

I was thinking a metallic copper. Or maybe a mix of copper and sunburnt orange.

s-l300.jpg

Ed

That would look good - or something like Nissan Nightshade which is nearly black, but purply. Or BMW Carbon Black

Ah true, I didn't realise Ford did that colour.

I've seen a matte grey Puma on here before which looked good.

download.jpg

Made me think of the new Cupra's which have the matte grey with copper highlights. Looks damn good in my opinion.

download (1).jpg

Ed

Awesome, that's good to know. J said that whilst the engine is out, if I wanted to get a respray done he can get the engine bay done before the engine goes back in. I'm going to ask him how much it'd be and mull it over a bit more before making a decision.

Could also do with getting the Vibra Technics engine mount kit bought and fitted before the engine goes back in as well.

Ed

Lorry broke down. J's moving is delayed until next week unfortunately.

In other news, the overdraft took a hit when my PC died and Xmas came around. Looks to be paid off by April now. MOT on the Puma due in May as well as the Focus. Although that should be gone long before the MOT is due. However the clutch pedal's biting point is less than 1 inch from the pedal being fully released. No other signs of the clutch about to fail, but I can't really afford to get the Focus' clutch changed at the moment. Months ago someone clipped the drivers side wing mirror and I never got that changed either. Plus the speed sensor has gone so the odometer is screwed and the speedo drops to zero multiple times every day.

Other than that the Focus is a lovely car. Plus it's a basic and older model. No ABS or traction control. Actually makes a fun drive. I was half tempted to make it the next car project. Get a 2.0 ST150 engine in it. Steady now Edward.

In the mean time here's a sunset pic in the fens of my second puma - Gunny.

51880646.jpg

Ed

First day I got Gunny I bought it for £999.

The same day I bought it I traveled to Essex and got the £450 eBay bargain I bought the day before buying the car installed.

Probably stupid to buy performance parts before buying the car. I'm impulsive (stupid) like that.

A complete Piper exhaust system, including manifold and sports cat that was installed at OC Motorsport.

977070_479614138784282_1591523619_o.jpg

Those pops and bangs were lovely.

Work should start up again shortly. J is hoping for a couple of hours each day in the workshop. I've asked if the engine could be done and I get the car back as the clutch on the Focus is about to go and I don't want to be left without a car, or sink money into the Focus when I want rid of it within a month.

I've got the 18th and 19th of February off work so I'm checking with J if the car could go back to him from 16th to the 19th of Feb to get the door cards and strut braces fitted along with sorting the rust out.

Just waiting on a reply at the moment. Got some time off next week from work which is good, as I want to use the Focus as little as possible. I'm driving very slow and steady to try and wheedle as much life out of the clutch as possible.

The fact the biting point is now less than an inch from the clutch being full released is really making me nervous. :|

Ed

Had a word with J on Sunday evening asking about the above and seeing how quickly the engine could go back in. Focus clutch is getting worse - biting point is less than a centimetre from the clutch pedal being fully released. Thankfully I've got Mon-Thu off and only have to drive into work on Friday.

J said he's off work on Wed/Fri of this week and asked me to ring him on Friday evening for a progress update. As the engine rebuild is half way there according to his last update, I'm really hoping the Puma could be back on the road soon.

He said he didn't want me to be without a car, and I know I've been waiting a fair old while, but it still feels awkward putting pressure on to get the Puma back. Not sure why that is.

Either way I'm hoping the Focus goes the distance until I get the Puma back.

Asides from the biting point being extremely high up there's no issues with revs or finding gears etc. Am I right in thinking the Focus clutch is hydraulic? Could it just need the fluid changing or topping up? Can't say I know how it works, but other than the biting point the clutch and gearbox seem to be fine?

In other news, can't believe FRP #255 went for only £6550 on eBay. Bargain. All the overtime I've been putting in and my Xmas bonus made this pay cheque a good one. I'm back to where I was before forking out for Xmas and my PC breaking. More and more overtime this month and hopefully get another decent pay in 4 weeks. With any luck by the end of Feb there'll be less than £700 left to pay off.

Really should've just stuck with the engine rebuild initially. Could've saved myself well over a grand :eek: But that's what I get for browsing performance parts on eBay.

Ed

As far as I understand worn master and slave cylinder does change the clutch biting but its mostly just the clutch material wearing down to the rivets as the cylinder is having to extend more and more over time eventually grenading the clutch.

Strangely my puma came with a terrible clutch but somehow over time it has improved with use. That or I became used to it.

Latest posts

Back