Puma 1.7 Rebuild Mk II

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 week lead time in the clutch. 3 sensors and other bits to be fitted this week.

Clutch will have to wait until beginning of July when bodywork gets done

Ed

J said he's checked over the TPS already. Checked the readings/parameters of the sensor and ensured they were within the manufacturer spec. So it's all working well.

He does have another throttle body he's going to try to see if this will solve the judder issue. As it's only occuring when the accelerator pedal is slightly pushed, he thinks the throttle body might be letting in too much air.

He also said that it'd be best to prioritise the manifold, cat next. The bearing rattle isn't an urgent fix, and he said the current mods are probably only half as effective without the manifold/cat.

So, as it stands - 3 more sensors, door cards, strut braces, new coolant header tank to be fitted this week. He also said he'll clean up the headlight plastics.

July - fix bodywork and alloy wheels.

Aug - fit 4-2-1 manifold and sports cat (connected to original exhaust system).

Ed

I decided to speak with the eBay seller about end term bhp goals with the Puma and they recommended a Stage 2 clutch.

So I've sent the £41 extra via PayPal. This Stage 2 clutch requires 500 miles bedding in. Which is good in all honesty, as I need to save more on fuel. Then again, this won't be fitted until Jul/Aug.

Ed

raggamuffin said:
He does have another throttle body he's going to try to see if this will solve the judder issue. As it's only occuring when the accelerator pedal is slightly pushed, he thinks the throttle body might be letting in too much air.

If you decide to replace the throttle body, you will have to reset the adaptive values again, i.e. reset the PCM and again let it to relearn the idling values...

With time yes. But until it does you would have erratic idle again. Since you are unsure what the problem really is, I would take all the knowns out of the equation if I could. And idling etc you can. You are putting on another throttle body which is not new, so it has some leakage around butterfly. That is not a problem if PCM measures it and takes into account when activating IAV. If not, you will be again at erratic idling as the PCM would try to compensate for the values that are not the same as the ones stored in the memory.

New problem has arisen. Car brakes fine, but 3 times now, just before coming to a stop in traffic there's a mechanical grinding, juddering sound and I feel the brake pedal vibrating under my foot when pressed. The noises are very loud. No noises when braking whilst driving at any other time.

Any ideas?

Yes, sound like ABS. Check the sensor to tone ring gap. This behaviour, grinding to a stop is usually a sign of misaligned or slightly damaged tone ring (few notches are bent in). As the speed decreases so the signal weakens and at the point of irregularity it will break down i.e. disappear. The ABS unit detects that as a wheel lock up and kicks in.
I had the same problem at first with my rear disc conversion as one sensor was out of place by less than 1 mm (radially) and the pickup of the signal was not good and the unit would pass self test, but as the car would slow down, some grinding would occur.
The sensor to ring gap should be 0,6 mm (0,4 to 0,8 is tolerated, but aim for 0,6 mm).
The ABS is easily checked with Forscan. There is a live speed readout function and it will tell you which wheel is in problem.

OK, thank you both. That puts my mind at ease. I'm trying to get J to work on the car this weekend as this will be the 5th weekend without anything happening and I'm a little tired of waiting, having paid upfront for 2 full days work to be done over a month ago.

Ed

Visiting Wednesday morning. We're splitting 1 of the days I paid for over 2 days. 4 hours working on the car each time.

I'm hoping that the new sensors can be fitted along with the ABS issue being looked at and hopefully resolved.

After the rest of the bits are fitted (or before, depending on offers) I'll be selling my 3rd Puma.

This project has gone above and beyond where I expected it to get to. I don't like admitting defeat, and yet I feel like I've run out of steam at this point. I think it's time for someone else to take up the reigns and finish what I started.

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32835

Ed

Don't give up mate,
Ive been reading your updates. You've had some bad luck. Maybe take a step back and have a break from it if you can?
Your nearly there, the light is at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the replies. I can start to feel defeated when I overthink things. Recently the project hasn't felt positive, and it can run me down. Even though I've encountered numerous issues since the rebuild was done, I have found a way to adapt to each new fault and drive nearly 2500 miles since the rebuild.

The project delays felt more disheartening than the project than the costs. It'll get there though; I sometimes need to be reminded of that. This whole project is as difficult as I allow it to be.

Did J a favour. I think it'll bump things back on track. Booked 4 hours on Wednesday morning before work to get more parts fitted. I think breaking a days work into a couple of segments will be easier than catching J on a free weekend.

Hopefully the ABS issue doesn't require a new sensor, and yet, I'm not averse to buying a new pair. Just have to be patient. Got plenty of parts to be fitted in the mean time, without adding any new purchases into the mix.

Thanks again everyone who's listened and offered advice in this project. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Ed

I think if you can give it the final push on these couple of days you've got booked in then maybe it'll change your mind.

Latest posts

Back