front wheel/s not turning

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quest63

Right so Ive started looking at getting my Puma running after its 4 year lay up. I originally thought that the front brakes were surface seized but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Ive only dabbled with the front right wheel but after taking the calliper off to be 100% sure its not that, the front wheel still isn't turning.

Its not had brake / clutch fluid in for 4 years so no clutch but I'm pretty sure its in neutral. I appear to be able to at least partially change gears.

So what does that leave me with as a cause a stuck clutch??

And if so is that going to mean I wont be able to manually crank the engine over with a spanner?

Cheers

Questy

I left my Fiesta in a garage for quite a few months (some of which were over the winter) and I had trouble pushing it out.
That also felt like a seized brake or thought I had left it in gear. It moved eventually after almost popping a vein!

Since replacing the battery and getting it started it drives in/out of the garage OK so maybe leaving it sitting for ages made everything seize up a bit..?

Can't comment for you personally Quest, but maybe something to think about...?
Does yours rock back/forth at all or is it 'stuck' solid...?

I would struggle pushing it even if it wasn't seized lol. Ive only been trying to turn the wheels or brake disks not move the car but theres no movement at all on either side, completely solid, not even a little bit of wiggle.

Today I find that with both front wheels jacked off the floor the passenger side wheel now moves freely apart from a little surface rub from the rusty disk. I havent yet checked if it locks with the drivers wheel on the floor again.

I put it in gear and it stops rotating as I guess I would expect so I suppose its not a sticking clutch thats locking my drivers wheel nor is the car unexpectedly in gear.

So what does that leave? a siezed drivers wheel bearing? Can CV joints sieze?

Im planning on getting a bar on the hub nut and seeing if I can turn / free it. Any problems with that idea guys?

Before you throw the heavy stuff at it, pull the wheel off and check there is nothing stuck in the abs ring, rust/debris/dead animal etc
Failing that does sound as though the bearing has seized, big bar should move it but guess the bearing will be knackered

Cheers, I'll double check. I was worried a big bar would damage the bearing but unless someone's got a better idea? Ill do that. Or at least I will when I get a new socket the biggest one I can find is 30mm what size do I need 32mm ? 34mm?

Latest posts

Back