Puma Production Line

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

I work on a car production line so this kind of stuff interests me. Does anyone have any more images of them being built?

MFDH1T.jpg
MFDGY4.jpg
MF2BPJ.jpg

The guy in the first image should have been on rust proofing duty....a golden opportunity :!: :!: :!:

I’ve seen a couple, one with a red finished car but would be great if we could find some more

Curious what the line speed was like for them, how often they came down etc. We used to make 3 door and convertible variants in my work but they would come down infrequently, they were normally a pain. Wonder if the guys making the puma thought the same.

KcDxJvP.png

Anq4hXY.png

DradusContact said:
Curious what the line speed was like for them, how often they came down etc.

I know for a fact (visited a plant) that Renault has about 70 seconds per post line speed. That means at each station the car (to be) is stationary for 70 seconds and then moves on. More complicated tasks that are not possible to be finished in roughly 70 secodns are done on movable platform that moves with the line and cover 3-4 working posts then go out of line and back to the first one as the car goes away. About 50 cars exit the line in an hour.

Where do you work, on what cars and what is your line speed?

Wild E. Coyote said:
Where do you work, on what cars and what is your line speed?

They really don't like you talking about it on social media, you can get sacked if you badmouth them online, but lets just say it rhymes with Sand Clover and its in Liverpool. Our speed is a bit slower, 92s, 40 an hour is roughly what we can do if its all running right.

ha ha I hear you Dradus... I finished working at Sand Clover in April (as part of the volunatary redundancies). But not in production - I was in Quality, based in Gaydon.

The Puma production pics are interesting. I worked at Ford when the Fiesta was still going down the line at Dagenham, I wonder what the reasoning was for building the Puma elsewhere - probably they knew car production at Dagenham was a dead duck so they invested in Niehl plant instead. Saying that I would have thought labour costs were higher there, but I could be wrong.

Agree there are plenty of opportunities for a man with a spray gun of schultz to get in those nooks and crannies - maybe he was off on long-term sick! More likely the bean counters decided it wasn't worth it. This Puma and Mk4/5 Fiesta seem to be the last of the 'rustty' Fords, everything that came after (Focus etc) seems much better.

grogee said:
This Puma and Mk4/5 Fiesta seem to be the last of the 'rustty' Fords, everything that came after (Focus etc) seems much better.

True, but also think they were the last of the interesting cars. The new stuff are fine vehicles but they seem to have lost their edge (no pun intended). The days of quirky stuff like the Streek/SportKa, Cougar, Puma etc are long gone i fear.

I dunno... I think Mk1 Focus is pretty interesting. Maybe it doesn't seem that way because they're everywhere, but if you think back to 1998ish and what else was available the Focus was a giant leap forwards compared to Mk4 Golf, Astra etc.

Although I do agree that Ford has cut back on the quirky stuff. Seems weird that they ever entertained a 2-seater soft-top Ka, or even the folding-roof Focus CC. Think they're only interested in 4wd/SUVs now, or expensive Fiestas. That said the latest Fiesta is really good, I'd definitely have one if I had £20k+ available for an interesting spec.

Unfortunately, that's where the market goes.

A lot of people think than a SUV is desirable, even if they run worse than a comparable sedan, and got no off-road capabilities whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back